• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

tips&critique plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
this time i decided to get some opinions/suggestions before trying to upload a model that isnt near-perfect. well actually this one isnt good at all.

i wanted to make the fishing bobber from wow. actually i started this some weeks ago, but was really busy at some times. there is a chance i might use it in a map of mine (with special lightning effect as the fishing line).
Bobber_Fishing_WoW.jpg
61896.jpg
anticipationwotlk_fishing.jpg

- the rock texture was the best i could find for the cork part. it might be wrapped better i think.
- the animation is a little off (too strong backpush) due to the fact that i made the model too big in 3dsmax and then scaled down in mdlvis.
- i didnt find any suitable textures for the feathers yet. the teal feather texture in SharedModels/ doesnt have any alpha. the feather from nightelf campaign screen cant be recoloured much, because it is mostly black.
- there were 2 options for me with the metal part of the bobber:
make it one plane (2poly) and wrap a chain texture there (did atm)
or to make a tiny mesh for it (would add some polys)

this was my first try at animating a model myself and also i used particles for the first time (Cnp-ed the values off the swimming sheep model (war3x.mpq/units/critters/sheep.mdx and then edited the values a bit).

i know that it has an unused texture. im not sure if i would want to upload it to resource section at all... if it were prettier (more like the real one) then maybe. but in te beginning i wanted to keep the polycount as small as possible - thats why the feathers and metal part are 2 poly.

thank you. ^^

Attachments

• bobber.mdx
    6.4 KB · Views: 66
Level 14
oh yeah. now i remember a fishing game that used the thunder lizard egg as a missile when casting the fishing line into the water and then some kind of shockwave for the impact with water... my model would be a good replacement. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.