• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Time Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Help Wanted!

*Item Editor - find icons for tech trees and apply them to map, help with skins for shops.
*Terrain Editor - Venice, Italy style map with water-way village, overlapping bridges & rooms for purchase-able shops, private lands, exceptional pathing.
*Tech-Tree Designer - Create Multiple class techtrees -> 36 trees desired.
*Shop Designer - Through skin editing/color changing create build sets specifically for shop placement.
*Game Balancer - Assist in making a numberical system to be followed for ensuring each class is equally balanced.
*Research Engineer - Assist by finding necessary files & handy programs for map.
*Resource Engineer - Equip map with needed JASS scripting.
*JASS scripter - Tax system, Consumer system, and Likely a color or skin changing system will be needed.
*AI scripter - AI Scripts needed for Consumers, taxes, and other things.

I've played a bunch of time management style 'demo' games online, I want to make my own warcraft 3 style.

Right now I'm in the planning stage and I have some questions please?

Current Premise is TD style where the shop pieces kill the peasants for money. If anyone has played Shopping Maul... Kinda like that but a little more like island troll tribes at the same time. Everytime a peasant is 'killed' a shop piece looses something at random that was in it's inventory, and needs to be restocked by the Avatar.

I would like to be able to direct Peasants into each shop and have them do automated or scripted actions. But I'm afraid I'm not sure how I could do that without running into some problems.

Problem 1: If the players can control the peasants, what's to stop them from flooding their opponent's doorway?

Problem 2: How to make peasants that enter randomly select items instead of always going for the highest priced ones?

Problem 2B: How to give different peasants preferences?

Problem 2C: How to display what each peasant desires? Randomly generated recipe papers I'm thinking, and then once they have everything on their 'recipe' or shopping list they 'check out' and give the player owning the recipe? the gp amount for the recipe. oh maybe :p

Problem 2D: How to randomly generate recipes of existing items that are currently available in player's shop?

Problem 2E: How to keep available recipes only to that of available or orderable items at the player's shop?

Problem 2F: What if a peasant with a half-filled recipe leaves a shop and travels to another player's shop? Then starts another complicated recipe?

Problem 3: How to make peasants pick up items, order items and then 'check out' all automatically.

Problem 4: What if they act stupid and get jammed into a doorway or something? Ways of preventing that foolish behavior?

Problem 5: I have one finished tech tree for a shop, and now I'm stumped. Don't know what else would like to have available.

Problem 6: I want to allow each player to be able to decide on inventory, decorations, bench colors, etc. What is the most efficient way to do it? What is the easiest way to do it?

So... yes please help me out with ideas and thoughts, still in the basic planning stage and I'll probly be starting on the map or something. thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Level 9
map development

While attempting to change the doodads for this map. I wanted to make destructible houses that peasants could not walk through.

I got
Could not load file: buildings/other/bleh bleh gibberish.

Changed it to another art file and got the same thing.

Cannot load art file: buildings/other/bleh bleh gibbersih.

Instead of getting a house like I expected I got a green and black checkered box.

What could I have done wrong and how is it fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.