• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

THW Chat Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I'm having realy strange problem with the Chat. So heres the situation:

I click on the link "Chat" in the menu above, then I red the basics things there... Then I clicked "I accept" button so I can finally procced to the Chat, but... Yes the chat actually opens, but, it is always flashing (the chat appears for 2-3 sec, then its flashes [basically its dissapears from the screen] and shows me the page before I've clicked "I accept" button again for 1-2 seconds, then it goes back to the chat) and this thing occurs everytime I try to connect.

So my question here, is the chat only available for certain i-net browsers (I use the newest Safari 4 browser).. I tryed with the IE (don't actually know which version) but the same problem occurs and sometimes it disconnects me randomally.

At the end, how the hell I can fix this problem?

PS: I don't want to change my browser since I use Safari for more than 1 year and I feel very confortable with it.

Level 19
Zombie. said:
Clear cookies
Been there, done that... It doesn't help.

Zombie. said:
try Firefox
Nowai, I hate ff.

redmarne said:
it's even compatible with internet explorer 6 so it can't be a browser incompatibility issue.
Idk its a browser problem, but its doesn't work with both browsers for me :'(

Anyone else have an solution to the problem?

Level 19
Try Firefox, Chrome, or Opera then. Troubleshoot and see what browser does work.

I will skip FF just because I hate it... Ok I tryed Chrone (its kinda nice browser), but the same problem occurs, so I no longer consider this as a browser problem.

Ok, now lets move again at the problem.. what may cause this? Is the chat uses JAVA releated stuff or something else? Dunno... I want to chat :cry:

Maybe you're banned or smth? Never been, so dunno how it is.

This was my first attempt to enter the chat, I don't think Im banned, because I've never been into the chat...

I will skip FF just because I hate it... Ok I tryed Chrone (its kinda nice browser), but the same problem occurs, so I no longer consider this as a browser problem.

Ok, now lets move again at the problem.. what may cause this? Is the chat uses JAVA releated stuff or something else? Dunno... I want to chat :cry:

This was my first attempt to enter the chat, I don't think Im banned, because I've never been into the chat...

The chat was designed for Firefox as far as I can remember. Try updating Java or download Poot's client.

Level 19
The chat was designed for Firefox as far as I can remember. Try updating Java or download Poot's client.

Ok, I checked my java on the PC and it says that I have the latest Java Platform on the system.

I downloaded the client, yep its running, I enter my name and password, and it displays "Successfully connected to server", but.. I don't see anything into the chat, no messages, no users, absolutely nothing, and I can't even type a message.

Damn, I still can't figure out whats wrong here...

Level 19

Attachments

• Settings.JPG
    Settings.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 161
Level 19
Why? And also, FF has the most correct display engine for webpages.

Chrome sucks, use Iron instead, its actually Chrome without Google Spy software.
Safari is bad too, IE also, Opera is good and Maxthon is also well.

The problem is not into the browser.. I already test IE, FF and Chrome and on all of them I had the same problem as with Safari.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
IE works fine for chat, so stop stupidly putting it down for no reason. THW chat will work in all decent browsers, which are FF, IE and opera. If it does not work in one of them, your browser/security software is poorly set, your browser or security software is broken or bugged in some way (reinstall) or as Ralle said, you have encountered one of the many sigh bugs.

I will probably go with Ralles outcome to what the cause is as the chat was developed by Ralle as an extension to the site using data from the forum engine, thus they may not equally robust as each other.

Level 19
My entire security is down, and I don't have any kind of firewall(s) or anti-virus programs currently installed or working on the platform.

I don't see why people always thinks that the problem is into the browser since I already mention that I tested it with more than one browser and it still doesn't work.

Meanwhile I will wait for Ralle's reply, and as Anachron mention, I will make a virus check.

Level 19
Instead of making the chat redirect it now gives an error message.
Please tell me what you are getting.

Nothing, at this moment im getting nothing, it doesnt flash or dissapear, but I don't see anybody into the chat and the greeny button keeps flashing.

If that is the cause, he has not stated so until then the actual problem is not definite.

Still update to SP3, it reduces start up / shut down times massivly as well as better compatibility with new software.

I can't update to SP3, my Windows is not licensed, thus I can't use "Windows Updates".

I think asking questions like "what windows are you running" and "do you have a firewall" are irrelevant because, well, it's just javascript. Only relevant questions are ones like "what browser are you using" and stuff like that. Since it doesn't work on poot's client it's not a browser problem. So it's either a problem with the hive or with MortAr-'s connection.

Ralle said:
It could be related to the "-" in your name. I will test around with that to fix it.
Can't be. SuPa- can get into the chat just fine. Heck, even people with unicode in their names can get into the chat. (I remember one guy called Omega but with the greek letter instead of the O. He could whisper us but nobody could whisper him because there wasn't unicode support in the chat back then.)

Level 19
Alright, according to my last test, the chat was working properly (no flashings, no dissapearing), I tryed to send a message, which was successfully send, then I had to go away from the PC for a 5-10 minutes. After I came back I saw that the chat was somehow blocked (like im disconnected) I tryed to reconnect but nothing happens now... Its only shows the basic part without any users in the channel (Lobby) and I can't connect.

Pyritie said:
So it's either a problem with the hive or with MortAr-'s connection.

Im assuming that causes the problem with the connection now, because at this moment its pretty damn bad (doh I load the forums page for about 5 seconds which is unusually slow). I will try again to connect to the Chat when everything is fine.

By the way, what actually was the problem Ralle?

Systems with GET-Parameters (such as your username as get parameter) sometimes bug when having special chars (such as your "-" char).

See:

Can't be. SuPa- can get into the chat just fine. Heck, even people with unicode in their names can get into the chat

Level 19
Like those systems parents sometimes install on their computers so kids can't access "unsafe" websites. Those sorts of things.

The only person that have access to the computer is me, and I never have heard of this kind of things, so probably I've never installed anykind of these systems.

edit: Im running an anti-virus detailed virus check, so far the program has founded and successfully deleted 4 malwares and 3 trojans.

Last edited:
Level 13
Have you tried to log on from a different computer in your location? (best would be even with different and then with same internet provider(yes it sounds crazy ,but it happens...))
also get rid of those viruses , be sure to not have more than one anti-virus , uninstal the other browsers then you use (the old good browser war)

If i will get any other ideas i will edit this one

Level 19
Dood, I've tryed everything you might think of.. I reinstalled the JAVA from my PC then I downloaded the newest available on the official website, installed it (meanwhile I restart the PC several times)... I reinstalled every browser I had then I tryed with several browsers again but nothing, currently Im gonna make some more tests with the other browsers and probably go to sleep.

I can't even chat with PurplePoot's client :'(

Last edited:
I reinstalled the JAVA from my PC then I downloaded the newest available on the official website,
Hiveworkshop uses JavaScript (Built in language for browsers), not JAVA. Those programming languages have nothing to do with each other.

Also, do a deeper Scan with Vundofix and HijackThis and a few more antivir tools.

I am pretty sure your pc is infected.

Level 19
Yes! I have JAVA installed on my PC and its the latest version but Poot's client never worked even with my old JAVA.

Strange part here is, I discovered something a bit strange - I just joined the chat (yes after I refresh the page 4-5 times but..) and I wanted to change my status with the /@ command, when I did it the chat dissapeared again.

Im going to reinstall the entire Windows after 2-3 hours, then I will try again to see if its going to help and perphas clear those viruses if I had any after the scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.