• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Third Person or Birds Eye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noj

noj

Level 4
Im wondering which of the two you would perfer to play using. personally i like using birds eye but i third person can be pretty cool to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlU6YjpVsHo

Use the video to make a judgement I dont care what you think of the map i just want to know what camera view you like more, dont judge on sounds either because the third person was a completed map and the brids eye is brand new using the same models/textures only.

Level 5
Give us both. Like it dragon age.

Sure, third person is a lot cooler and stuff - but I don't think you can add collision detection so that the camera does not go through a wall and we see weird shit.

The Birds-Eye-View is very useful for seeing the lay-out of a room or area. Maybe you can zoom it out a little bit, and give it a very slight angle. Then it would be perfect.

Nice map though, looks interesting.

edit: Something was bugging me about the Birds-Eye-View footage though.. I watched it again and realize... the walk-animation for Ned or John could use a little bit of polishing, give him less of a swagger. In the 3rd Person view it's sort of hidden, but, in the top-down view, you just see his arms and legs flailing around like he's power-walking everywhere :D

noj

noj

Level 4
Give us both. Like it dragon age.

Sure, third person is a lot cooler and stuff - but I don't think you can add collision detection so that the camera does not go through a wall and we see weird shit.

The Birds-Eye-View is very useful for seeing the lay-out of a room or area. Maybe you can zoom it out a little bit, and give it a very slight angle. Then it would be perfect.

Nice map though, looks interesting.

edit: Something was bugging me about the Birds-Eye-View footage though.. I watched it again and realize... the walk-animation for Ned or John could use a little bit of polishing, give him less of a swagger. In the 3rd Person view it's sort of hidden, but, in the top-down view, you just see his arms and legs flailing around like he's power-walking everywhere :D

I never played dragon age, it sounds something like the old resident evils ill check youtube for examples of its camera.

the Character Model is Hardcore Villager By SandMan, i cant animate so i cant fix that. (not like it matters i probably wont be using it for any mapsi actually put on the net.)

Third person.. cuz its more awsome felling.

Where did you get all those doodads? :O
im just asking, you don't have to tell.

I downloaded some package with alot of them a long time ago, since then i added many more models sounds and such. I dont remember what its called, something about lighting.

Level 5
I'll try to describe how dragon Age: Origins camera works.

You have a Tactical (Birds-Eye-View). So, top-down, slightly zoomed out. Makes it easier for you to cast spells, see how the battlefield looks, count enemy numbers etc...

Then you have your RPG (3rd Person-view). Which works exactly as you would expect, 3rd person, follows behind the player.

Ideally, the mouse-wheel is used to switch between views, so players get a level of zooming in or out before switching to a different camera. But I doubt this is possible in Warcraft :)

noj

noj

Level 4
I'll try to describe how dragon Age: Origins camera works.

You have a Tactical (Birds-Eye-View). So, top-down, slightly zoomed out. Makes it easier for you to cast spells, see how the battlefield looks, count enemy numbers etc...

Then you have your RPG (3rd Person-view). Which works exactly as you would expect, 3rd person, follows behind the player.

Ideally, the mouse-wheel is used to switch between views, so players get a level of zooming in or out before switching to a different camera. But I doubt this is possible in Warcraft :)

I got two common problems with having both, first is lighting, lights only appear if the players camera can see them, so in third person lights have to be low, if there to high the cam will never see them creating many areas to be pitch black, and if the lights are all low when you go to birds eye view the area will look wierd like it was built for midgets.

The second problem i get is spoilers, birds eye view can see over walls if and third person can see long distance, meaning the entire map will have to be carefully made, limiting possibilities.

but it appears 3rd person is liked alot more anyway

Level 20
If you're going to put third person camera you could make a collision detection to prevent camera from going through walls.
For example,make a loop trigger that will check if there are any obstacles (Walls) between position of camera and the unit it follows. If there are any obstacles,then zoom camera 'till there are none. Then check if there are obstacles behind the camera,if there are no,the camera can be zoomed out a bit.

noj

noj

Level 4
If you're going to put third person camera you could make a collision detection to prevent camera from going through walls.
For example,make a loop trigger that will check if there are any obstacles (Walls) between position of camera and the unit it follows. If there are any obstacles,then zoom camera 'till there are none. Then check if there are obstacles behind the camera,if there are no,the camera can be zoomed out a bit.

The camera locks onto the unit, so isint the cameras position the same as the units? the camera distance is what makes it further away which i dont think theres a way to get the X/Y point of wherever that distance is.

EDIT: more importantly how would you find a obstical? when doodads of all types not just destructibles, units, and terrain should be taken into account.

EDIT: more importantly how would you find a obstical? when doodads of all types not just destructibles, units, and terrain should be taken into account.

Not everything is perfect - but you could always use Pathing blockers or manually put in rects (check and see if the point is within the rect).

I had made a semi well working third person system for this zombie shooter map I started a while ago - it's still pretty early WiP but it could give you an idea of how to get started.

Attachments

• ZZ - Proof of Concept.w3x
    447 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: noj

noj

noj

Level 4
Not everything is perfect - but you could always use Pathing blockers or manually put in rects (check and see if the point is within the rect).

I had made a semi well working third person system for this zombie shooter map I started a while ago - it's still pretty early WiP but it could give you an idea of how to get started.

thanks alot that really helps with wall and even other object problems for me plus it was quite a simple code giving me no problems with editing to make it work on my maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.