• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] The witch's forest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
The witch's forest

full

full

full

full
full

The map features:

First person camera;
Complete free-roam gameplay.

Semi-random terrain to make the map impossible to predict and thus scarier;

Jumpscares;
Stealth mechanics.

Development progress:
AI: 10%
Terrain: 40%
First person camera: 90%
Jumpscares: 60%
Sound effects: 30%
Development progress:
AI: 70%
Terrain: 50%
First person camera: 100%
Jumpscares: 65%
Sound effects: 40%

-Added grass;
-Created an AI for the monster;
-Filter bugs fixed;
-Collision bugs fixed;
-Added new sounds.
AI: 75%
Terrain: 60%
Jumpscares: 100%
Sound effects: 45%

-Created a menu for the victory and another one for the defeat;
-Fixed many bugs with the AI;
-Added a new sound for the buttons;
-Fixed a bug with the random generation of the decorations;
-Changed font used in-game.

The demo is now available!

Development progress:

-Move around with the arrow keys;
-Turn around with your left and right mouse buttons;
-Sprint while holding the middle mouse button, be warned however that running makes noise;
-Turn on your torch by going close to the campfire, do not stay without light for too much time;
-Hide form the monster, use the trees at your advantage;
-If you see blood and/or dead people, turn around and go away;
-Survive until 6.00 AM.
When you download the map, be sure to put it in "Maps/FrozenThrone/Scenario" and don't change its name. You will still able to play if you don't do this, but the map will not be able to restart by itself when you die.

If you play the map, please consider leaving a feedback.

The map is not protected and it will never be, so if you have no idea how something was done you can freely go look in the editor. However if you want to post the map or a modified version of it in this site or in another one, it would be nice if you ask me first.

Sounds: Ambiencehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQCwAdNUFFk
Models and Textures: Ambience1, Ambience2, Monster1&2, Monster3
Image: Loading Screen
The list of credits is not complete yet, it will soon be.

Attachments

• The witch's forest.w3x
    24.1 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Level 13
It looks good! How would the movement work, though? Not many maps have managed to nail down a smooth and functioning first person movement system. I wonder if you'll use the new mouse triggers for camera movement.

It looks amazing and I hope you finish this!

Level 6
I'M SO HYPED FOR THIS! strong Slenderman feel, in a much more refined and moody way though :O
It looks amazing and I hope you finish this!

I'm very very curious to see how you manage movement and the camera.
It looks good! How would the movement work, though? Not many maps have managed to nail down a smooth and functioning first person movement system. I wonder if you'll use the new mouse triggers for camera movement.
The map uses arrow keys for movements and the mouse to turn the camera(left mouse button will rotate the camera to the left and the right mouse button to rotate to the right).

Level 13

The map uses arrow keys for movements and the mouse to turn the camera(left mouse button will rotate the camera to the left and the right mouse button to rotate to the right).

I imagine that'll be kinda wonky, but it'll probably work out okay. Just please don't make the movement speed and turning rate too slow. I remember how much of a pain it was to move left or right in those old first person maps. But you seem to know what you're doing so I have high hopes for this project.

Level 6
I imagine that'll be kinda wonky, but it'll probably work out okay. Just please don't make the movement speed and turning rate too slow. I remember how much of a pain it was to move left or right in those old first person maps. But you seem to know what you're doing so I have high hopes for this project.
Don't worry, I already made the turning speed that gets faster if you hold the mouse button, and also you will be able to sprint while holding the middle mouse button.

This looks great so far, reminds me of Scary Forest in Sc2.
I played that custom game too, it was really fun. I never managed to win it though because it was really hard XD

Level 6
Update 6/03/2019

Development progress:
AI: 70%
Terrain: 50%
Jumpscares: 65%
Sound effects: 40%

-Added grass;
-Created an AI for the monster;
-Filter bugs fixed;
-Collision bugs fixed;
-Added new sounds.

The demo will be available this or the next week!

Wish you well in this project, and for it to scare countless people shitless :)
Thanks! And sorry for the late answer, I haven't been online much these days.

Level 6
Update 17/03/2019

Development progress:

-Created a menu for the victory and another one for the defeat;
-Fixed many bugs with the AI;
-Added a new sound for the buttons;
-Fixed a bug with the random generation of the decorations;
-Changed font used in-game.

Read the "Read me!" in the main post before playing.

Level 13
I'm a pansy when it comes to horror games, but I did my best!

I've only played a single match, but I've already wet myself. The movement however, is extremely smooth and fluid! A bit awkward sometimes, but it's better than the old first person movement in maps before 1.29. The sounds were immersive and I forgot I was playing WC3 for a brief moment. (Until that low-quality Ghoul snuck up to me, but I still freaked out)

My only complaint would be the terrain. It's lacking in a lot of places. When exploring it all seems the same. Grass and trees here and there. I would love to see some natural structures, such as abandoned buildings and farms (Preferably something you can enter and explore) and perhaps some wildlife?

Animals like Deers and the such will give some life to the empty forest, and it would even add to the fear factor to just hear an animal being killed in the distance, only to come across it's corpse a short while later. It would keep the player on edge and alert them to the fact that they're not alone out here.

However, it's a great Demo regardless. Can't wait for the full release.

Level 6
I'm a pansy when it comes to horror games, but I did my best!

I've only played a single match, but I've already wet myself. The movement however, is extremely smooth and fluid! A bit awkward sometimes, but it's better than the old first person movement in maps before 1.29. The sounds were immersive and I forgot I was playing WC3 for a brief moment. (Until that low-quality Ghoul snuck up to me, but I still freaked out)
I'm happy to see that the game managed to be immersive and scary!

My only complaint would be the terrain. It's lacking in a lot of places. When exploring it all seems the same. Grass and trees here and there.
Yeah, I know. The terrain is very lacking, this is mainly because for the moment I only focused on the first person movement, the AI and the jumpscares. My next objective is to create a good-looking and always random terrain(I'm still not sure however if I should release the v0.8 with this new feature or if I should just wait until the v1.0 is available).

I would love to see some natural structures, such as abandoned buildings and farms (Preferably something you can enter and explore) and perhaps some wildlife?
Animals like Deers and the such will give some life to the empty forest, and it would even add to the fear factor to just hear an animal being killed in the distance, only to come across it's corpse a short while later. It would keep the player on edge and alert them to the fact that they're not alone out here.
I really like this idea! It will make the random generation of the terrain a bit more complicated, but I think it shouldn't be much of a problem. The real problem is to find models that look better than the classic wc3 ones, but at the same time not too hd, because if there are too many polygons warcraft will lag and crash.

However, it's a great Demo regardless. Can't wait for the full release.
Thanks! Your feedback was great!

I really like this idea! It will make the random generation of the terrain a bit more complicated, but I think it shouldn't be much of a problem. The real problem is to find models that look better than the classic wc3 ones, but at the same time not too hd, because if there are too many polygons warcraft will lag and crash.

High-Res Doodad Pack & Expansion - Wc3C.net you can do wonders with a mix of these doodads. and creativity :)

Thanks for the suggestion :)! However I already saw those models and used some of them in the map, but unfortunately there is no animal model there. The buildings however will probably be extremely useful!
Well I see you're already using Flickering Light textures I made. You should check the Boar and Wolf texture may work for you! :)

Level 6
Well I see you're already using Flickering Light textures I made. You should check the Boar and Wolf texture may work for you! :)
Yeah, I'm using the Flickering Light pack, your textures are simply amazing! They made the old wc3 models look like they are 10x better! However I don't think I will add any more monster in the game(maybe :D) or else it will become too hard. With "animal model" I mean just some random animal in the forest and not a monster-animal(although it might be something that I will do). For the moment I found this deer, this rabbit and this rabbit but I'm not sure if all of them will be in the final release as the models are a bit low quality(especially the deer, the rabbits are ok since they are small and so it's hard to notice their model quality).

Casual subscription.
Looks interesting! :)
Thanks, and good luck out there in the witch's forest!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.