• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

First person adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey guys,

I'm working on a map which will be in first person. I'm currently working on the systems, writing the story and so on.

Anywho, I got a basic version of my first person camera and movement systems made and decided to test them out. I had recently seen Blood Raven's Mount Hyjal terrain map and decided it'd be a good place to test it in, so I added my system to it, put in some music, 3D sounds and extra stuff and took a walk around the map! :D.

If anyone was interested in seeing this cool map from a first person view I posted the video on YouTube, it's only 4 minutes long

NOTE :
Make sure to have your sound on! And better to watch it in 720pHD, it looks much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DA7wlDdtdw

Cheers

Level 3
Well this thread wasn't really talking about the map I'm actually making, it's just a showcase of a system I made in someone else's map, so I didn't think Map Development was the right place. It's more of a general interest thing.

However if a mod moves it there that's alright with me! :p. (I don't know how to move it)

Level 6
Hmm.. Pretty interesting.

Here's what I can say.

+Smooth Camera!
+Dynamic Terrain, gives you a good feel of the atmosphere.

-Camera seems to be weird for me. Sometimes I feel too small but sometimes it seems just like the right size. Height Adjustment I suppose.

Level 3
Cheers!

Thanks guys!

I've since updated the system, making the camera angle accordingly when you move up and down hills, which makes it feel more natural.

Nice fluid movement especially the running, though it suffers from the typical first/third person problems of the field of view being too small.

Yeah I don't know if I can do much about that :at:

If people care I might release it as a system so they can use it in their maps. I did a fair amount of searching and I can't find a lot of first person camera systems so this one might be useful to some

NOTE :

And yeah like Rheiko said it's not my map it's Blood Raven's. Normally if I was making a first person map I'd make all the stuff (like the shrubs) smaller so it felt more natural. At the moment if you zoom into first person on your average WC3 map it looks quite weird, cos obviously the game wasn't designed to be viewed from first person haha :p.

I might make another video soon using my updated system and in a map that has appropriate scaling sizes

Level 4
You should think about using Sharpcraft to implement the mouse to look around.

If you want to set your mouse to the center like every fps does, you can use this plugin (use CenterMouse() to center the Cursor) . Just keep in mind that this is already an old version of SC and the pluginsystem got reconstructed, but there is no documentation yet, so i have no idea how to use it xD

Level 3
Mouse look

You should think about using Sharpcraft to implement the mouse to look around.

If you want to set your mouse to the center like every fps does, you can use this plugin (use CenterMouse() to center the Cursor) . Just keep in mind that this is already an old version of SC and the pluginsystem got reconstructed, but there is no documentation yet, so i have no idea how to use it xD

Oh awesome, mouse look! I'm checking it out now but for the life of me I can't figure out how to use it haha. Can't even run the test map provided.

I'll keep trying, hopefully I'll figure out. Would be a cool feature to add

Status
Not open for further replies.