• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Vietnam war??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
So, i read the thread : "Deputy Kyle Dinkheller". (He were killed by a Vietnam war veteran).
What made this war so "special" is i may call it that?
I have heard of tons more people going "insane" after the Vietnam war then after 1st, 2nd, Afghanistan and Irac.
Was it the bayonettes? The massive use of children sucuide bombers?
1st world war were the first war in modern time, so that has to be bad?
2nd world war. Japanese Kamikaze?
Afghanistan and Irac has/had sucuide bombers, IED's and all that stuff.

So my overall question is : Why did so many people become insane after this war?

Level 13
I am kind of aware that war is tough. But why were this specific war worse then the others, if it even were?

Level 30
Thats just wrong.
Every war is horrible and every war naturally disturbs those who have to fight against their brothers in nature.

Edit: (to still try to answer your question directly)
Also, the ways of murdering became ferocious. First place of the most cruel tactics of killing people do not take your named "suicide bombers" or something but the USA by tactical strikes like napalm or bombs. Do you know what the thousands of vietnamese people feel who are still alive and experienced this?

No war is really more horrible than another, they all step over the line of terror, both physical and psychical.

The Asians tended to fight with unbreakable resolve and often using Guerrilla tactics and Torture when they fought in war, I believe this made them a bit more terrifying enemy then that of like the Germans and other Europeans who tended to take overly organized strategies that made them easy targets and lead to mass deaths. Take a look at WWII (which in the beginning the Germans were winning due to a more faster and a bit less free stand in a line and be cannon fodder then typical European tactics), the Germans surrendered when all hope was gone, the Japanese had to be bombed with the most powerful weapon at the time before their resolve was broken even though all their allies already lost and the Allied forces were surrounding them from all sides.

I believe this made the Vietnam a bit more devastating on the mind then older wars.

Any war does a ton of s@#% to the mind

I'd also imagine that the problems soldiers faced after the war were covered much more in the media after the Vietnam war. People didn't like it, most people didn't support it, thus instead of ending it on a "yeah we won, we're the best note," it ended on a "why the f@#% did we do this?" sort of note - which would cause people to be more sympathetic to returning soldiers and more anti-government (use it as a reason to say the government was doing wrong).

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_was_the_Vietnam_war_so_important_to_the_US

The Vietnam War is important not only because of its prominent place in U.S. history, but because Vietnam is a clear case of the emerging pattern of modern warfare. Within weeks of the historic developments signaling the end of the Cold War, spokespersons for the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force announced new missions to combat "instability" in Third World "trouble spots" though "low-intensity conflict" (e.g., guerrilla warfare, counterinsurgency, pacification, etc.), rapid deployment forces (e.g., the invasion of Panama), and surprise bombing raids (e.g., Libya). Months later, half a million U.S. troops were preparing for battle in the Persian Gulf.
from
http://www.globaled.org/curriculum/viet.html

Level 2
For us, viets, we fight hard for the land we stood on. We ain't got shit back then now look at us now, we're growing baby. Ain't like those sand-diggers over in the Middle East.

azn_pride8_816.jpg

Level 3
Answer is easy,USA just loves wars,and they always enter one without any reason i mean no one called them in the first place -.-

Side Question : Why are the USA people generaly morrons(in lack of a better word)?

"I dont hate USA i just hate dumb people...wait then i hate almost the 90% of the USA"

Very poor fighting conditions combined with having to live with killing innocents in bombing runs will do that to someone. It wasn't exactly a justified war. Afterwards, the only thing you knew is that the US lost, so all those dead people and your missing leg accomplished very little.

Or it could just be that the environment was really, really hard to live/fight in.

Level 22
The reason they went insane was because of the massive bombing. They used more bombs in that war than they did in all the other wars before that one together. Also, while they were down there they got A LOT of drugs to keep going and drugs was easy to get down there.

Level 2
The reason they went insane was because of the massive bombing. They used more bombs in that war than they did in all the other wars before that one together. Also, while they were down there they got A LOT of drugs to keep going and drugs was easy to get down there.

Oh drugs are good. Keep em coming. It makes everything in hell better.

Level 21
In Vietnam is jungle and swamp, thats called mangroves, and some parts were only jungle, and the reason why people got insane was panic, panic that from under the earth the enemy could come (The Vietnam had underground tunnels through all the battlefields and could attack them at suprise), so it was a huge PSYCHOLOGICAL thing, additional, the bombardement with napalm and gas caused fear by the own faction... because it does not fade so simple as a bomb explosion.

Level 14
Very poor fighting conditions combined with having to live with killing innocents in bombing runs will do that to someone. It wasn't exactly a justified war. Afterwards, the only thing you knew is that the US lost, so all those dead people and your missing leg accomplished very little.

Or it could just be that the environment was really, really hard to live/fight in.

Doesn't help that when the soldiers came home they were spit on by the public. Because apparently it was their fault, not the leader's fault.

Why does everyone think that there's so many "Support The Troops" bumper stickers, etc, in America right now? Even from people who don't agree with the war(s)? Because they saw what it did to the Veterans of Vietnam when they came home and were literally spit on and ostracized because they had done what was required of them as military personnel.

They fought a war (whether they agreed with it or not), were demoralized because all the news reports from home were saying that we were losing and that it was a pointless war, etc, and they're over there dying/being maimed for life, and for what? To have to pull-out because some politicians decided arbitrarily to go in the 50s and then arbitrarily decided to come back because public opinion was going the other way in the 70s?

They literally fought and died for nothing, which has to be damaging to the psyche and then they see their friends dying/being maimed, for nothing, which again is damaging to their psyche, and then they get home and people spit on them.

PTSD plus that and I'd go fucking crazy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.