• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World War 2 Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
Well, there isn't really a special occasion for me postin this thread, unless you count "The World Wars" mini series being aired for 3 days since American Memorial Day. (A day to honor American soldiers)

Please no country hate. Just point out facts without being rude. I am very much aware that the USA is not the most beloved country in the world.

Maturity on? Alright let's get cracking.

First question.
Do you guys think that without western powers interfering with the war, Russia could have defeated Nazi Germany and the Japanese Empire? (Sorry Italy)

Second question.
Would the war have been an Axis victory if the Soviet Union were still allied with Axis powers? (Rather if Nazi Germany never invaded)

I tried to not have flaws in my question so people can have a yes or no answer, but I couldn't.

Level 25
First question: I'm assuming you're asking if none of the other western powers were fighting Germany?

Nope, Russia in the early stages of the war was very weak in military strength and had a technological disadvantage to the Germans (their tanks were superior to the Russian ones early in the war), and the fact that due Stalins executions of all capable generals, they would probably have lost. And they lost 20 million people when driving the Germans back, had the Germans not had multiple fronts and more in supplies, things would probably have looked very different.

And this probably helped Russia a bit too in the war:
Lend-Lease

Second question:
I'd say the biggest reason they lost in Russia was due to the winter and Hitler interfering with the Generals plans, moving tank squadrons from one place to another and attacking relatively unimportant targets.
If the Axis-Russian alliance had not broken, theres:
A) Russia becomes more technological, war breaks out between Russia and Germany
B) Germany conquers Europe

Now, if Germany is not losing and they would keep their scientists, there's a high chance that it's not the USA that develops the nuclear bomb, but the Germans, and then they more or less would have won the war.

Level 35
First question.
Do you guys think that without western powers interfering with the war, Russia could have defeated Nazi Germany and the Japanese Empire? (Sorry Italy)

Yes. The battles of Stalingrad, Kursk and the Don river largely determined the outcome of the war already. Why we lost the war lies largely in the disappointing level of planning from the German High Command in the later stages of war, rather than the combat potential of Soviet forces, however. Granted, while the Soviet Union was a bit more than we could chew, with the leadership of potent military leaders and with Hitler entirely abandoning military leadership (which he generally failed at), we could have won.

Western interference was little more than diversion, as well as the campaign in Africa.

Second question.
Would the war have been an Axis victory if the Soviet Union were still allied with Axis powers? (Rather if Nazi Germany never invaded)

Yes.

As long as by 'Axis victory' you don't mean the world being conquered, as people usually do. Hitler was only out for Europe and certain chunks of the Soviet Union.

Status
Not open for further replies.