• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Campaign] The True Heroes of Warcraft, idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello all,
I'm pretty new to the modding community, and to modding/map-making in general. So I've got a few ideas for a campaign and set of maps but lack the technical skill to get my present map together by myself. (Perhaps and overambitious endeavor on my part.) So I just wanted to get the idea out there and see if there was interest in the map or anyone who was willing and skilled enough to help.

The idea is that there are 40 true heroes of Azeroth, based on the fact that the largest raid group in World of Warcraft is 40. Each of these heroes represent the specialization of one class. I.E. Fury Warrior, or Arms Warrior. There are 34 specializations available at present. (Listed below.)
Druid- Balance, Feral, Restoration, Guardian
Paladin- Retribution, Protection, Holy
Priest- Holy, Shadow, Discipline
Warrior- Arms, Fury, Protection
Monk- Mistweaver, Brewmaster, Windwalker
Death Knight- Frost, Blood, Unholy
Hunter- Marksman, Survival, Beast Master
Shaman- Elemental, Enhancement, Restoration
Mage- Frost, Fire, Arcane
Rogue- Assasination, Combat, Subtlety
Warlock- Affliction, Demonology, Destruction

My goal is to establish which class-specialization fits best with what race and tell the story of what would be envisioned as the true heroes of Azeroth. Taking from the thirteen races (List below.) I wish to balance it as fairly as possible between Horde and Alliance. Below in the list are the number of that race I would like to see in use, the total is 35, one greater than the amount of specializations currently available so one may be left out for the time being as I'm sure Blizzard will introduce more classes into the World of Warcraft before it's over.
Pandaren - 3
Worgen - 3
Goblin - 3
Blood Elf - 3
Draenei - 3
Human - 3
Night Elf - 3
Orc - 3
Undead - 3
Dwarf - 2
Gnome - 2
Troll - 2
Tauren - 2

These numbers are based on whether the race comes from an expansion, making the class more desirable to create heroic lore for, or whether they are the leading race of their continent such as is the case with Eastern Kingdom's Undead and Human and Kalimdor's Night Elf and Orc. The leading races have a lot more lore and backstory to access, with these races we can simply fill in some missing gaps.

Now here are my campaign/map/story ideas.

Furious - Furious is the story of Agamorn, knight of Gilneas. During the outbreak of the plague of undeath during Warcraft 3 Jaina gathered togeter refugees and units from the Alliance kingdoms, one such unit was the Gilneas Brigade which was sent to Jaina by Darius Crowley. I wish to do tell his story in chapters which each have five acts (More or less depending if it's needed but five is the minimum goal.) I will break down the acts of the first chapter, the prologue so that you can get a better idea of the general direction.

Furious ~ Prologue
Act 1: Our story begins with Jaina and the refugees arrival in Stormwind harbor. Here Jaina seeks to have the refugees board their ships and sail on to Kalimdor. Key lore notes here is the reluctance of the refugees to leave their homelands in the Eastern Kingdoms, where we can see even some stay behind in Stormwind to seek a new home here, the relationship between the High Elves and the other races in this location as apposed to that of those who live with their own kind in the north.
The location from which Jaina and the refugees depart is never explained I believe and traveling to Stormwind provides a safe harbor to escape from the mysterious plague in the north, at least for a time (They assume, though we know Stormwind is actually quite safe.).
Grim Thunderbrew, one of the names given to the random Mountain King heroes, arrives as a voluntary envoy from the Ironforge Dwarves. Grim is a field marshal in the alliance army but is given the status of commander and put in charge of the Gilneas Brigade for the duration of their trip.
A gnome named Alfred Sputterbolt leads the creation of the prototype alliance Gunship in the upper portion of the harbor. (Where the unexplained giant vault/hanger resides in the SW City Harbor)

Quest ideas:
1. The docks below are overcrowded with barrels of new shipments from arround the world and they are barricading the way of the refugees, keepinmg them from boarding the ships they need to escape on. Jaina gives you the task of finding anyone around the harbor who can help remove the barrels from the path. (There are three docks you need to clear in order to succed to victory for Act 1.)

2. You can go see Alfred Sputterbolt in the northeast docks who has caught wind of barrels of explosives planted about the docks. He believes that these will be a danger to to workers and wants you to investigate and remove the barrels. (Destroy them.) When you return to Alfred to tell him he task is finished he decides to give you the pleasure of seeing the first testing of the gunship cannons! Placing a small target and having the area cleared Sputterbolt orders the ship to fire but it seems that the cannons are gravely off and the shot actually destroys one of the barrel blockades stopping the refugees from boarding the ships.

3. Grim Thunderbrew can be found by the docks and was tasked with rounding up the remaining members of the Gilneas Brigade who are mulling about the harbor. He cannot find three members on the list and tasks you with rounding them up if you spot them. When finished you return and he has the unit move the barrels in the way off to the sides.

4. The dock master is an unnamed High Elf man whose daughter has vanished and he can't seem to find her, his daughter, Sa'rah, is actually quite grown and has nearly reached adult status, she dissapeared because she is seeking a rock she lost that the she claims is from another world and she agrees to return to her father if you help her find the missing rock. (Which looks just like any normal rock on the ground.) The Dockmaster rewards you by having the dockworkers remove the barrels in the way before they go home.

Details for the other acts haven't been worked out but the general flow is...
Act 2: The alliance refugees arrive in Kalimdor in a location called Dustwallow Marsh. Jaina spots an isle that looks like it could make a decent home but the marsh terrain is hard to navigate and there are many dangers hidden within so they decide to press on further in. Act 2 describes their struggles in the marsh.

Act 3:
The Alliance forces must cross through the Barrens. Many wish to turn back but Jaina has them press on hoping for better lands. Jaina's forces recognize the horde and out of fear that they were followed instructs the military forces with her to develop a plan of attack. After Grom retaliates Jaina presses the forces on to find a better location at the Stonetalon Mountains.

Act 4:
Grom leads an assault on the base built in Stonetalon and it's up to the units there to hold them off as best they can. The goal is to simply keep at least two buildings alive by the end of five to seven minutes of constant Orc onslaught. Queue Thrall + Jaina alliance at the hands of Medivh and tadah.

Act 5:
With the advent of the Orcs and Alliance refugees newfound peace pact, the purifying of Grom, etc... events that happened in Warcraft 3 we come to the close of the Prologue, the Battle for Mount Hyjal! This version of the battle details only the Alliance forces efforts to hold the demons back and reveals how the troops stationed there either escaped or died.

Finale Cinematic: A simple finale which reveals the building of Theramore on the isle seen in Dustwallow Marsh.

I intend to keep true to these things with the maps.
Current established lore
The story is from Agamorn's point of view as a footman in service to Jaina
Map sizes are in relation to a more accurate standard than the standard which World of Warcraft has... considering that WoW rarely, if at all, has actual houses or living spaces in game.

If you like the idea than please say so, if the idea has been relatively done before please say so, if you're interested in adding to this project in ANY way please say so. I could use all the help I can get. If this is in the wrong thread, definetly please say so. Hahahah!

If you would like a copy of the current status of the map please don't hesitate to ask, I can post it here.

Thanks,
Galexgan

Level 1
Future story ideas include a Draenei Protection Paladin, Sa'rah becomes a Blood Elf Holy Priest and is a Hero, a Night Elf Beast Master Hunter, a Worgen Death Knight (Spec. Undecided. Worgen to iron out the lore holes often cited as created by Blizzard.), a Human Holy Paladin, a Blood Elf Retribution Paladin, and a Worgen Survival Hunter.

Level 1
The Vanilla 40 man raids were, and still are, very awesome. Love Molten Core even still.
The intention is to make a prologue chapter campaign for each character and then another campaign for vanilla WoW and another for each expansion in WoW to follow what that character has done and continues to do in present lore.
Dragon age is a good game. Loved the story and characters of the second one especially.

Level 5
Does the player have to play the prologue of every char? or is there a hero selection and the player only plays the prologue for the one he chooses?

Last edited:
Level 1
It's individual stories so you would choose whose story you want to play by just choosing what campaign you want. The first campaign on my list to create I'd the fury warrior, Agamorn. The prologue introduces the character and events they may have participated in before World of Warcraft began, such as Agamorn as a knight in the Gilneas brigade and seeing how he helped in the creation of Theramore. Creating individual campaigns like this opens up greater potential for story telling. Say we do a Draenei Mage from Argus? What was it like for the mages on Argus when Sargerus came and offered then so much power? What of the arrival of the Naaru, what was going through the minds of the people with these two great powers offering them these choices. Should the Draenei Mage give into the lust of power and accept Sargerus and become a demonic Eredar or flee with Velen and the Naaru?? How about a story of a blood elf who was there when the scourge came to attack Silvermoon? What part did they play in trying to stop the invasion? How did they survive?

Level 5
So it's a BIG project. With capital BIG! XD

Maybe you could make 1 campaing for each class (e.g the Warrior) and give them decision paths that, story-wise and gameplay-wise, take them through a different Talent Tree. (e.g. the Fury talent tree)

Maybe the Warrior has to decide wether to kill every one of his enemies or spare them because he finds they're not so bad. Just a basic example. That way you'd have to make 8? 10 campaigns? (forgot how many classes there are :p) instead of 40!.

It may even be better when it comes to the quality of the campaigns. Since you'll be focusing all your attention and imagination on less stories and, with 40 protagonists, you're bound to repetitiveness.

It's a nice looking project, so I hope you good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.