• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Summonings - a Team FFA Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
TL;DR: A footmen wars map to end all footmen wars maps by innovating every aspect of gameplay.

I am a sucker for footman wars maps and have always wanted to create my own. Unfortunately maps in this genre tend to be frowned upon given how easy they are to make and how little quality is put into them. The goal of this map is to defy this precedent and create a game which will be fun to play, easy to learn, and require skill to master.

The premise behind this map is a concept not often explored in Footmen Wars; summoning an army instead of one spawning at your base. When it has been done the execution has often been sloppy. I have discovered the best way to implement this concept is to base the summoning ability off of the Pheonix ability. This will summon units without actually treating them as such (spells such as Transmute will work on them and they will not take dispel damage) and leave a corpse when they die.

In addition I want to experiment with the Sabotage mechanic. The entire map is surrounded by water and with the purchase of a few ships you can assault the enemy base through the back. Another good idea I have yet to see properly implemented.

Another improvement on terrain I made is size. Footmen wars tend to be small and enclosed. In addition to expanding the base areas and the center there are side-areas for shops and other useful neutral buildings which can be fought over.

The maximum hero level is currently 13. Rather than make the maximum level a high number like 18 or 20; I'd rather players have to earn more xp than usual to get that extra level and make it more rewarding. This may also help strike a balances between heros and armies.

So far the standard game heroes are being used - minus the Beast Master and the Tinker. Beast Master has three summoning abilities in a map where every hero will have summoning abilities. Tinker was never meant to be a serious hero and only has one ability I like. The Doom Guard and the Elder Sage will replace them. In addition, some heroes will have their skillsets tweaked; the Blood Mage has Cripple instead of Banish, Pit Lord has Reincarnation instead of Doom, and Tauren Chieftain has Stampede instead of Reincarnation.

I plan to have at least four army unit types; Priests (casters), Grunts (slow melee), Ghouls (fast melee), and Archers (ranged). When you hire a hero, you will be able to choose which of these you want to summon and you can swap this around later.

What I want mostly from people working on the project is feedback. Do you like any of the ideas brought forth? Do you have any suggestions of your own? Where is there room for improvement? Can you beta test? etc. Additionally I am weak on JASS and custom spells; if you are good at both do tell and I may ask for your help.

Last edited:
Level 7
Current look of the terrain. Twelve sections for twelve bases instead of lumping all players of each team into a single base.

Attachments

• wipterrain.png
    wipterrain.png
    939.2 KB · Views: 108
Status
Not open for further replies.