• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Revenge (campaign)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi guys

I'm doing a beta test for my campaign The Revenge(well basicly its just the first mission for now) that i am working on for 2 weeks now..

I made a couple of campaigns, this is the first campaign after a long time tough. I also didnt played wc3 for a long time now and so i am a little concerned about the difficulty of my campain. And i would thank you if you say some words on that but keep in mind that this is the first mission and the difficulty will increase.

Have fun while testing :)

Story

The story will focus about a young paladin named Ultair and will play some years before wc3:the burning crusade. At first you will fight against orc but then you discover a much more powerfull enemy..
Also i have to say that there is no real story in this map couse there will be an extra cinematic map at the beginning..

Credits so far

Crossbowman - by Kitabatake

HolyPortal - by JetFangInferno

LightningWrath - by Callahan

OrcWarlock - by T.J.

Templar - by Callahan

HolyBomb - JetFangInferno

IonCannonBeam - Illidan(Evil)X

UPDATE

- Added some more info in the map..

- switched West and East xD

and also a hint ...dont start the map from World Edit couse i already imported some models in the campaign import folder and they will only show up when you start it through wc3

Attachments

• The Revenge.w3n
    9.1 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Level 7
Downloading now. Review incoming.
REVIEW
In general your campaign lacks information. The idea of giving the player control over the opposing force, in order to tell what's going on, is rather good but I don't think you are quite successful in doing that.
Maybe you could give more info than you do it in to loading screen to the prologue.
It would also help a lot if you added quests explaining what to do so that the player isn’t completely on his own.
I myself stopped playing when some peasant told me about some terrace or something? I didn’t quite get what he said and therefore I was completely lost.
Also when you befriend those prison guys why is some of them still attacking you? (I know the prison guys are yellow and the attacking guys are orange, but still)
This campaign actually reminds me of some of my early work (not saying that I’m a genius in making maps).
This isn’t a bad thing and to sum up the whole review my advice to you is: Add more info to your campaign and keep working on it. :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 2
@Fimbus

Tanks for Reviewing!
You may be right with the information thing ..i will add some more and update soon but what i dont understand is..you said you quit after the peasent told you about a terrace ..do you mean the portalmage who tells that he will go back to headquarters to send you recources? anyways i just have two cinematics in this one and i dont think that you mean the bossbattle cinematic so it must be in the opening ..and that means you quit while the opening cinematic was running? That brings me to the quest thing ..I have quests that are explaining what to do..and its working when i test it..thats wired..oh and have yout by any chance started the map through World Edit?

Last edited:
Level 1
I have not downloaded the campaign yet but i can give a little advice. You have written that there is only one chapter & the size is nearly 9MB. At that rate the size will become too high. Take care that the size does not get too much high.

Level 2
@ Zelda

the huge size comes from a sound file that is for the boss fights and is used for all maps .. so basicly i would say every map will be like 2 mb + this soundfile.. so i assume the final size will be like 21 mb or so since im planning seven maps

Reactions: Rui
Level 7
@hypR
It was some sort of peasant in the prison. You've just befriended the yellow guys and then you enter a place where there are two fountains. Might just be me that didn't pay that much attention. Anyways I forgot to mention that the storyline of the campaign is rather good, and could prove quite interesting when it develops further.

Level 2
@ Fimbus

Hmm..there are no fountains or even water in this map oO you played any map but mine :D

Level 7
I will be laughing my ass of if I've reviewed some random campaign I've downloaded a long time ago :p
I'll look into it tomorrow :s

EDIT:
Found out what's wrong. I've reviewed a campaign on my computer called The Revenger. I'll give you a review of the correct map tomorrow :p
Edit 2
Final Review (Now of the real campaign!)
First of all sorry for what must have been a confusing review this is what I think of your campaign and you can therefore ignore the other one.
This was a pleasure to play. The only thing that I can point out right now is the voice of the crossbowman should be changed in my oppinion.
All I can say is keep working on this it takes a lot time to finish a campaign and I would really like this campaign finished :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 2
yeah that was realy confusing :) i had a feeling from the beggining but was not sure until you said something about fountains :D

Level 1
1.....A different loading screen for the map
2.....In the cinematic I saw that peons were moving through the units.
3.....Do not try to submit this campaign until you have the names of all the author of the models you are using in the campaign. It will get rejected.
4.....Make the holy bolt be able to target self
5.....There are typing mistakes in the text.
6.....On the Northern side of the base there are 2 barricades. The one on East is useful for stopping the enemies but is useless for my units. The tower has been so placed that my crossbowman cannot get in its place.
7.....My units do not have a regeneration rate? That is bad.
8.....The 2 barricades are bad. They have congested the path for both sides.
9.....Use some different trees. Using only blizzard trees is not a very good idea.

Level 2
Thanks for your advices zelda :)

1....cant do that i put so much effort in drawing :O

2....fixed

3....yeah i know that got them all

4....hmmm that would be uberpowerfull i think oO but the abbilitys arent final and holy bolt will not be an final abillity

5....yes im trying to fix them but my english is not exactly good

6....fixed

7....They definitley have, didnt change anything reg ragte is set to default

8....fixed

9....hmm i think i stick with the standart trees couse this should actualy feel like a blizzard campaign

Level 1
3.....Place them in the quest menu as an optional quest. That is a + point for any map when a map is being reviewed.
5.....You can ask someone to help you with that in the Project Recruitment forum.
9.....Even if it should look like original blizzard campaign I advise you to use custom trees. It makes the terrain much more alive than the blizzard campaign. If you don't do that then the terrain will look average(Like the blizzard campaign). Also good use of custom material is taken a + point point when being reviewed. But it is your choice.

Also adding some screenshots can help you.

When do you hope to release the cinematic?

Level 7
9.....Even if it should look like original blizzard campaign I advise you to use custom trees. It makes the terrain much more alive than the blizzard campaign. If you don't do that then the terrain will look average(Like the blizzard campaign). Also good use of custom material is taken a + point point when being reviewed. But it is your choice.
I like the standard Blizzard trees better than custom trees in maps where you have to chop them down for resources. IMO I think custom trees is better used for terrain screenshots and the standard trees are for playable maps (especially if it's trying to get that special blizzard feel.)

Level 1
I think custom trees is better used for terrain screenshots and the standard trees are for playable maps (especially if it's trying to get that special blizzard feel.)
I agree with this part. The terrain screenshots become better because the terrain itself gets improved (which creates a better impression while playing).

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I've played the campaign. It has the Blizzard campaign feeling. And that's great!

My suggestions: The hero gained experience at a monstrous rate, and the maximum level was 5 in only a single mission. He also got very good items such as the Runed Bracers.
You also had an already pretty tough enemy at the end of the mission. In my opinion, it would be better if you just started slow. I understand the hero has a lot of levels to fill, but still, the hero was already strong enough to take a few enemies on his own. Take Arthas as an example, he wasn't able to take on everything at the start of the campaign, was he?

That is the main part. I should also mention...
  • Devotion Aura's description has not been updated to include levels 4 and 5. I got a suggestion on that too: make it 1/2/3/4/5 instead of 1.5/3/4.5/6/7.5. 7.5 is too much.
  • The Crossbowman is a little too cheap... and weak. 310 HP? 0 armor? Aren't those the values of a Night Elf Archer from older patches?
  • Speaking of patches. You are using an old patch. Fix this on the Map Options.
  • Holy Strike (I think it was, the ability with the Transmute icon) is way too powerful, in my opinion. Lower its values slightly.
  • Can't the Templar get a different icon? Using the Swordsman/Captain icon for a hero is so... strange. I suggest the Metal Golem for example.
  • You got much more resources than those you needed. With just two Footmen and two Crossbowmen, I was able to defend myself from the Orc attacks, ending up pilling 3,000 gold and lumber.

That is all I can remember for now. Good job so far!

Last edited:
Level 2
@ zelda

3....thats a good idea i'll do that!
5....hmm i think about that
9....i have never played a map with custom trees maybe if you tell me a map that makes good use of it i can see it for myself and will then decide

@Rui

-> I also noticed that the hero will be to strong and so i decided to stick with the standard max level so that the hero will not become a one man army as a result of this the leveling will be slower.

-> youre also right with the crossbowman i made him from the highelf archer and didnt realy looked at his stats ....

oh and thanks for you're review :)

Last edited:
Level 10
Ok, a few things (includeing facts that may have been said before, but I'm not sure).
1: The income for the first level really brings up the difficulty. For more then half the time I was playing the level, I was trying to build up a force to attack the westbase, only to have my eastbase guards demolished, and need replacement.
2: You have westbase in the quest menu under the main objectives (in order to get to the thunder lord, you must destroy the westbase)
3: The boss was pretty hard for a first mission and for the first time through. For this I don't recomend playing if you have less then a few hours, even with saving.
4: The ogre base below should probably give more then 1 item. Add gold.
5: There was a huge lack of gold, on the map and through income (most of the time I had to wait 2 minutes to build 2 footmen, while I had 1 to 3 footmen guarding my entire base), and I think there was too much lumber. I think I ended the map with about 1000 at the bare minimum lumber (and I did get a fair amount of crossbow men, and good job with that).
6: I always selected the portal when selecting units that have been built from the barracks. Maybe move it away from it.
Some good points:
-Nice cinematic
-Nice terrain, gave a Blizzard made content feel (though I found a shortcut into the east base if that was intentional or not, but I didn't use it)
-Nice blanance of units (though I dread the mana regeneration of the hero, though thats usually what happens with me :()
-Good setup with the bases, AI and attacks
-The time I spent playing was pretty fun. I would probably say this map is a 68[ish]/100
I didn't go through the campaign testing for everything as I sometimes do, I just played through it like I would a campaign level, eyeballing everything (not looking deeply into details). And I had a pretty good time with it.

Level 2
thank you for youre review landmine i will try fixing what you mentioned also i have now two entirely different opinions ..one say the resources are way to much and the other says they are not enough...hmmm i think i pick somethink in the middle lower the wood and keep the gold that way couse i myself did also not have much trouble beating the map but as i said its the first mission so it shouldnt be to hard..oh and i also made the boss weaker now ..im curently making the hero abilitys and finishing the second mission just to give a little status report :)

Level 1
The gold is enough in my opinion. A minimum level of difficulty should be present. But as you have said you can best choose a middle way to take care of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.