• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The REAL Life of a Peasant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Now, I know what you're thinking. Yeah, I've been working semi-medium semi-hard on my first map, Halo: Blood Gulch. But with the arrival of more and more rigged, pathetic attempts at a good LoaP map, I've decided to make my own-from scratch. The idea is simple: you, a peasant, work as one of six professions that you choose ingame:

Fishing-You are given a fishing rod and a house by a small lake, along with some bait. You must pick up worms and insects off the muddy ground, bait the rod, and fish. You will be able to catch bigger, healthier, and more expensive fish at a higher success rate as your level increases.

Blacksmithing and Mining-You are given a hammer and pickaxe with which to mine rocks for their precious ore and smelt them, each with a randomized chance of successfully smelting/mining depending on level.

Cooking/Butchering-You will be given deliveries of livestock such as Sheep and Cattle, a fully-stocked kitchen with different ingredients, and must raise the animals, butcher them, clean them, and cook them. Again, different chances of success and faliure based on your level.

Farming-You are given a bunch of seeds and a plot of farmland which you must cultivate, plant seeds on, water, tend, and harvest. Different chances of successfully harvesting depend on your level.

Woodcutting/Carpentry-You are given an axe and tools. Your job is to cut down lumber, shape it, and turn it into usable items like tables and chairs for the king's use. The higher your level, the better chance you won't mess up during the crafting phase and the better items you can create.

If you do not fulfill your job, you will be automatically punished by the trigger-controlled King. First, you will be fined as a warning. The second time, your land will be conviscated. The third time... OFF WITH YOUR HEAD. PERMANENTLY! Though not to worry. Death by a creep will give you a revival without penalty, provided you aren't escaping the King's wrath.

Attacking a friendly unit will result in him running to the nearest guard, who will attempt to capture you and toss you in the dungeon. The wise will wait their time, but those who are light-footed could try a 'different' route ala' Oblivion...

If you do your work and help the common folk like yourself in your spare time, the King will take notice, and you will be promoted to Squire. You will be allowed into the castle and to work on less harsh tasks such as tending the stables and crafting REAL weapons and armor that will (hopefully) appear on your hero once worn. There WILL be a system which limits how many weapons/armor you can wear, so not to fear. No one will be uber in this fasion. As a squire, you will be able to learn the finer points of combat. By going to a swordsman, magician, or priest, you will be able to take on a side-profession by completing a certain quest for them. Note: only ONE side-profession may be chosen. Side-professions will give you access to special side-profession only weapons and abilities.

If you help around the castle by performing quests for the nobles, a Knight may take you on as an apprentice himself, and you will be given a mount and a permanent residence within the castle (not to mention retaining your old home). The mount WILL be dynamic. If he is not fed, he'll get hungry. If he is not cleaned, he will be dirty. If he is not given water, he will be thirsty. Each have different indicators which will appear on-screen. Abuse him and you WILL lose him. Seriously.

Doing quests for the Knight will earn you the official title of a Knight for yourself. You will be given computer/trigger controlled units and a Captain, to whom you could suggest a place to attack. He will agree or disagree depending on a custom roll and the logic/moral value behind the attack.

These are the systems I will be presenting so far. Any questions? Feel free to ask. I'll answer to the best of my abilities. Anyways... wish me luck! Nerzhul's out.

Level 15
I'm planning on adding events that will occur, such as bandit attacks, raider invasions, etc., and quests will hopefully be bountiful. And, to add to the roleplaying atmosphere, I'm adding in a special chat system where you are able to only speak to people nearby, and not to anyone a few miles away. This also works with quest givers. In some situations, I'm hopefully going to have a fluent dialogue system that will change your standing with a person (such as the King, for example). So when you become a squire and are allowed in the castle, you will be able to click on him, and engage in a sort of Kotor esque conversation.

About the terrain: the terrain is realistic, sure. But I'm having trouble deciding what to do about the buildings. I got Nasrudin's indoor pack, and I'm probably going to have a sort of resident evil style thing. I've been thinking of an alternative, however. Going into like a third/overhead (but really close) perspective when you enter a building, allowing me to add roofs and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.