• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Plague of Kutrow RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I'm making a RPG, but I'm worried I might be biting off more than I can chew...but I'll just jump right into the description.

tPoK will include:

A save/load system.
Multiple dungeons.
Quests.
12 character classes.
Over 100 unique spells.
12 slot inventory.
5 Professions.
And much more.

The dungeons will each have 2-4 bosses. What I don't like about most RPG's out there is every boss can be killed by just having everyone spam their spells at the boss. An example of what I want to do is in TKoK; there were fights where you had to move your character or you would die. Everyone had to have their head in the game if they wanted to kill the boss. In my RPG, each boss will have its own trick, so you won't be able to shoot one spell at them over and over again and expect to win.

I love RPG's with a variety of quests. I even don't mind the 'boring' "Kill 10 of this unit" repeated, any quest is good for me. My RPG will be loaded with quests (and not all the 'boring' type.)

12 Classes, nothing fancy. 4 Intellect, 4 Strength, 4 Agility. 6 Ranged based, 6 Melee based. Each with their unique play style.
HeroSelection.jpg

Each class will have 8-12 spells, which will be given to them at certain levels (like in DefianceORPG.) Each class will have 3 final spells, and the player will have to decide which one they want (only one final spell per character.) Most classes will have a "Single target", "Multi-Target", and "Buff/De-buff" final spell to choose from. AoE spells will not dominate the game; it won't be final spell1-deal intellect x5 damage to target vs final spell2-deal intellect x4 to all nearby enemy units. AoE spells will have their use, but so will single target spells.

Here's what the 'backpack' will look like:
EquipmentSystem.jpg

Each 'farm' is an equipment slot, and will have one inventory space. The item bonuses will be transferred from the 'farms' to the hero. To transfer items to and from the backpack, the player will type '-backpack' and a unit with inventory (The pile of weapons in the middle of the farms) will be moved to your hero, and 5 seconds later will be moved back to the backpack. The only items your hero will need to carry are quest items and materials for your professions.

There will be 5 professions; weaponsmith, armorer, enchanter, alchemist, and scribe. What the weaponsmiths and armorers do is obvious. Enchanter will have two enchant types, enchant weapon and enchant armor. These enchants will be represented by 'orbs' that the hero will carry in their inventory (not their backpack.) These enchants will have powerful bonuses, but each hero will be limited to one weapon and one (or maybe two) armor enchants. Next is the alchemist. The alchemist will make potions, which heal, restore mana, or buff the drinker. Finally the scribe will make scrolls, which are similar to potions, but effect nearby friendly units as well. Also, the scribe will be able to make, later in the game, tomes!

There will be a main story to guide your hero through Kutrow. But I won't say anything more about that now.

Right now, the things that worry me the most is my skill at creating terrain and my inexperience in using triggers. I have made a map before that used triggers (it wasn't very good, but that was because the concept wasn't very good and I didn't have a plan) so I'm not completely noobish.

Here's probably the best terrain (so far) in TPoK:
GnollForest.jpg

I would like to balance it so that single player is hard (nigh impossible to do dungeons unless over-leveled.) two/three(depending on classes) player is hard to beat dungeons, 3-5 is normal.

There will not be any custom weapon graphics, little (if any!) custom skins, and few custom icons. It is cool to play a RPG with custom graphics, but it is not a big part of making a RPG fun (IMO.) I'd rather play a RPG with good gameplay than a RPG with good graphics.

Progress:

Most of the planning is done (I still need to finish up a few of the classes+spells, and a few more dungeons+boss fights.)

As you can see on the mini-map, the terrain isn't done yet, I've only used about 1/3rd of the map.

Right now I'm working on getting all the spells done(most of the spells will deal attribute-based damage, so getting the triggers is taking time.) Once I have all the characters done, I plan on completing the terrain, putting in playable regions, work on the item system (which will be the hardest I think), the quests, and then finally the professions.

So is this too much? Is it a good concept? Does it sound fun? Is it unique enough (as unique as a WCIII RPG can be)? Should I drop some of the features (professions, backpack, etc)? Should I push to add in the custom graphics?

,WindexChugger

Level 6
sounds like a decent map looks really good wat have you got done so far and if you need and beta testers im down 2 help

Level 7
Sound like it'll be awesome, but it doesn't sound like it's bringing anything new to RPGs. There's nothing that much exciting about. Try to find a hook or something that will make people play your game.

Level 2
yea, that's the thing. I'm planning on having lots of good stuff, but I haven't thought of anything original...I'll have to work on that.

,WC

Status
Not open for further replies.