• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The *.PAK files problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
hy guys, im having trouble to figure out HOWWW to extract or decrypt files from pak files, currently trying to get some resources like sound effect or game image data file from the pak files.

currently trying to extract from psp ISO game, inside most of games, theres always pak files or dat files. i jst dont get it how to extract the files inside, im pretty sure it contains soo much stuff inside, i jst dont knw anymore what should i do :(

ive try winzip, IZrac, 7zip and ofcourse winrar wont work....
any idea or suggestion? :(

thx for any one that willingly to help :)

Level 5
haha thx but the first link wont work, im pretty sure thats personal build for extracting .pak files from torchlight 2 game.

for link 2 im trying one by one the psp one , hope this will work

anyway thx for reply :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You clearly have not Googled this problem...

Wikipedia said:
The .PAK extension is frequently used as an abbreviation of "package". There is no standard for this extension, although several mutually incompatible formats exist, such as the file format from NoGate Consultings, a rival from ARC-Compressor.

Thus the format of the files depends entirely on the application it was created to be used with. For example, the .pak files of Simutrans are almost certainly different from the ones used by Torchlight which are almost certainly different from the ones used by some PSP game.

Your only way to try and open such files is...
1. Use an existing tool designed for opening files that are intended for a certain application. There may or may not be one.
2. Ask the developers of the application for an ability to access data contained in files for their application. Copyright generally means they will not disclose this information to you but some might, especially for abandon-ware if you can track them down.
3. Reverse engineer an interface for the file by analysing file content structure and disassembling and tracing the application code that uses the file. This is very difficult and time consuming to do (people only just finished doing it for .mdx files in WC3) and also may result in legal action against you if the file content is under copyright.

I highly doubt doing 3 is worth the effort unless the game is very popular. An example would be a Final Fantasy game which sells millions of copies so some one is bound to try and help you or use what you create.

Level 5
thx, i got it, thts why im asking for some clarification

i thought so too, tht its some way to decrypt the file yet its also mstnt be under used for smthg else like copyright stuff.

so in short, @dr,Super Good there is only specific tools for specific pak or game file to extract specific file too right?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
so in short, @dr,Super Good there is only specific tools for specific pak or game file to extract specific file too right?

Depends entirely on how the .pak files are structured. They might be something as simple as a zip file that is encrypted to something as complex as a file format similar to .mpq that needs special readers.

Level 5
so how to check that?
but i only found that ... if im not mistaken its written Quake Pak files...

i want to extract PSP games called "dangan ronpa" iso files
the bgm.pak and voice.pak , worth 250MB,
yes i wnt to see their resources...
any idea?

Level 22
@DSG, You're right, I didn't know that, sorry.
Try looking for one on the psp forums, since they would be the people doing stuff with psp iso paks, otherwise, looking from DSG's post, I think you need to make your own extractor.

Level 5
oke, btw i manage to find the files i want to extract without decrypting them...
its rar consist of 6500++ wav files...
around total 200mb
the problem is when i extracted all the wav, why all the sound wont play?
or is it jst can be play in game or ?????

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
They are probably corrupt. As far as I am aware wav is a very basic file format which is not very strict as it mostly is used to store raw vector data which can be interpreted as sound. If they are not properly decrypted or extracted they will obviously sound like garbage or maybe not even play at all.

Alternatively the PSP might use a sound sample rate too low/high for your computer to handle.

Level 22
Try asking on the ppsspp forums mikagami, they might be able to help you. I remember that ppsspp requires a plugin to play music from the ISO, while voices, and other minor sound effects play normally.

Level 5
Allright then :D thx for all who participate and giving answer....

Yes I think its not corrupted but still cant be load...
N ill try asking from ppsspp forum

Status
Not open for further replies.