1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

The *.PAK files problem

Discussion in 'Programming' started by mikagami, Sep 28, 2013.

1. mikagami

mikagami

Resources:
    Resources:
    hy guys, im having trouble to figure out HOWWW to extract or decrypt files from pak files, currently trying to get some resources like sound effect or game image data file from the pak files.

currently trying to extract from psp ISO game, inside most of games, theres always pak files or dat files. i jst dont get it how to extract the files inside, im pretty sure it contains soo much stuff inside, i jst dont knw anymore what should i do :(

ive try winzip, IZrac, 7zip and ofcourse winrar wont work....
    any idea or suggestion? :(

thx for any one that willingly to help :)

2. chobibo

chobibo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Try this one. I googled for it, haven't used it myself so be careful okay.
    Here's one, related to psp stuff.

3. mikagami

mikagami

Resources:
    Resources:
    haha thx but the first link wont work, im pretty sure thats personal build for extracting .pak files from torchlight 2 game.

for link 2 im trying one by one the psp one , hope this will work

anyway thx for reply :)

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    You clearly have not Googled this problem...

Thus the format of the files depends entirely on the application it was created to be used with. For example, the .pak files of Simutrans are almost certainly different from the ones used by Torchlight which are almost certainly different from the ones used by some PSP game.

Your only way to try and open such files is...
    1. Use an existing tool designed for opening files that are intended for a certain application. There may or may not be one.
    2. Ask the developers of the application for an ability to access data contained in files for their application. Copyright generally means they will not disclose this information to you but some might, especially for abandon-ware if you can track them down.
    3. Reverse engineer an interface for the file by analysing file content structure and disassembling and tracing the application code that uses the file. This is very difficult and time consuming to do (people only just finished doing it for .mdx files in WC3) and also may result in legal action against you if the file content is under copyright.

I highly doubt doing 3 is worth the effort unless the game is very popular. An example would be a Final Fantasy game which sells millions of copies so some one is bound to try and help you or use what you create.

5. mikagami

mikagami

Resources:
    Resources:
    thx, i got it, thts why im asking for some clarification

i thought so too, tht its some way to decrypt the file yet its also mstnt be under used for smthg else like copyright stuff.

so in short, @dr,Super Good there is only specific tools for specific pak or game file to extract specific file too right?

6. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Depends entirely on how the .pak files are structured. They might be something as simple as a zip file that is encrypted to something as complex as a file format similar to .mpq that needs special readers.

7. mikagami

mikagami

Resources:
    Resources:
    so how to check that?
    but i only found that ... if im not mistaken its written Quake Pak files...

i want to extract PSP games called "dangan ronpa" iso files
    the bgm.pak and voice.pak , worth 250MB,
    yes i wnt to see their resources...
    any idea?

8. chobibo

chobibo

Resources:
    Resources:
    @DSG, You're right, I didn't know that, sorry.
    Try looking for one on the psp forums, since they would be the people doing stuff with psp iso paks, otherwise, looking from DSG's post, I think you need to make your own extractor.

9. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    try searching for specific extractors... though I'd seriously suggest not doing that...

10. mikagami

mikagami

Resources:
    Resources:
    oke, btw i manage to find the files i want to extract without decrypting them...
    its rar consist of 6500++ wav files...
    around total 200mb
    the problem is when i extracted all the wav, why all the sound wont play?
    or is it jst can be play in game or ?????

11. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    They are probably corrupt. As far as I am aware wav is a very basic file format which is not very strict as it mostly is used to store raw vector data which can be interpreted as sound. If they are not properly decrypted or extracted they will obviously sound like garbage or maybe not even play at all.

Alternatively the PSP might use a sound sample rate too low/high for your computer to handle.

12. chobibo

chobibo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Try asking on the ppsspp forums mikagami, they might be able to help you. I remember that ppsspp requires a plugin to play music from the ISO, while voices, and other minor sound effects play normally.

13. mikagami

mikagami

Resources:
    Resources:
    Allright then :D thx for all who participate and giving answer....

Yes I think its not corrupted but still cant be load...
    N ill try asking from ppsspp forum

14. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not to mention how this is illegal