• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

The Naga's Final Stand - Terrainer+PARTNER 50% CREDIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hello dear terrainers,

I am hoping to create a map of which nagas fight against eachother. This map will be a mix of AoS and Missile Attacking. Each player will control a "shooter", the "shooter" will be able to shoot arrow missiles directed towards a point. Now here is the deal: The arrows will be EXTREMELY FAST, as to copy a realistic view of missile warfares, it will be able to attack destructibles and destroy them and will be able to collide with walls and pass through water (shallow, for some reason deep water cliffs cause a problem to my "physics" system) Now the arrow will deal damage to units too. The trick here is that I DONT USE A PHYSICS SYSTEM IN THIS MAP. This reduces the lag of the map (since i use GUI) and can provide more potential to the map. I may add rocksliding events, and much more:

Additions
Powerups
Headshot by increasing arrow height but making aiming harder
Multiboard to keep track of many statistics
visibility modifiers earned through items from gold which is earned by killing units
Items for different abilities (triggered probably), or other aspects besides movement speed or damage.
and more.... ( i suggest we brainstorm together )
Now i have alot of things to add to the map, and i have a terraining challenge for you, but before i say this challenge i want you to know i will give YOU 50% CREDIT FOR THE MAP SO ITS A PARTNERSHIP AND WE SHARE IDEAS AND HELPEACHOTHER.

The terrain will have to be flat and should resemble a jungle war aftermath with a shading kind of light fog. When building destructables are made, i need you to put air and ground pathing blockers to the destructable, when other simple destructables are made such as trees, you dont have to put pathing blockers since the trees will be able to get destroyed via my system, my arrow or bullet currently causes 1 damage, and so in my example map i set the trees hp to 2 hp, getting destoyed after 2 hits. If there are places where u used high and low and added water i need you to put ground pathing blockers to it. All these requirements will make my missile "system" work as accordingly and without much physics involved. Unit movement should be on flat land, but buildings can be added along with destructables (if u dont want them to be able to get destroyed then add ground and flying pathing blockers to them to block unit movement too). I need basically, a "Ruins" type of feel, like using ruins small bricks for unit paths and much more. Preferably a size 128x128 map. This will be a team vs team type of map just so you know.
(custom imports may be used) BTW: You can add doodads like bushes etc in w/e places since they dont interefere with the missiles movement. Also when your making something like a waterfall design you need to add ground and air pathing blockers. (i can decide and help you decide on many of these decisions, infact, its my duty) The most important part of the terrain is that it has to be strategic, and trees or destructables must not be clustered together so the "shooter" can destroy one of the destructables (that dont have air and ground pathing blockers) and create his own paths to eliminate his enemy. The terrain overall must be strategic with 3 paths (lanes) in general and there must be a way to go to these lanes from each lane (remember the map should be flat) You can also add cliffs which can be detected by my "system".

i will help you on the terrain alot, so dont worry (in regards to where to add pathing blockers and strategic paths, also in setting up destructable hp to how many times it has to be hit to be destroyed, dont worry i will revive all types of destructables by programming it)

I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT SINCE I EXPECT SO MUCH FROM YOU, I WANT YOU TO EXPECT ALOT FROM ME, I CAN DO ALMOST ANYTHING IN MAPMAKING (WITHOUT SOUNDING CONCEITED) AND WILL DO IT IF YOU EXPECT ME TO DO IT

I cant really give good examples but i want it to have a jungle ruins type of look.
p.s: custom imports for models, tile set etc may be used ( we can find models together)

Here is the bullet ability i created to show you how fast the shooting will be (except the shooter will be a naga and the missile will be an arrow, and some special effects will be changed accordingly)
also: as you can see, even if u shoot ALOT of missiles it doesnt lag, due to me not using physics (if i use jass it wouldv been fine but i use GUI)
*SHOOT TREES TWICE SO THEY CAN GET DESTROYED* (can be modified)
*EDIT: Fixed a bug where if bullet is really close to the cliff to the sides it may have awkward eye candy. (also fixed leak)

Attachments

• SniperSurvival.w3x
    23.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Level 16
So all you need is terraining or something else ?

Also, you said that you can detect cliffs and make the bullet stops, if a height is applied your system won't be able to detect heights. Did you try to add a dummy unit, destructible or item at height change and modify the system so that it can detect what you have placed (either unit or destructible) then apply the same condition of cliffs blocking ?

Level 16
Here is the idea, if you create a dummy unit going with the bullet with the same speed, same line of action and identical to the bullet properties. The only exception is that the dummy unit is stick to the grond and shape with the shape of the ground. Detecting the Z height difference between the bullet and the dummy unit may achive what you were trying to do. and then you can add heights as you wish.

If that succeeded, THAT could turn the tides :))

Level 10
can u demonstrate that in my triggers to show me? cus i used x and y intercept movement and only detected cliff movement, so how do we use that height difference to detect collision? )) i think we can chat by just editing posts < check out this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izuAxJn9K9o&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div > roflmao <this prank is even better! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilYNNIsFXQE&feature=related>

np its easy it can be stored in variables, set udg_w/e = GetLocationZ(), thou know that prob :p we cant escape jass :D (how yo ulike prank call? :D)

Level 16
Something isn't right when working with heights for flying units, I tried checking heights by msg. See this image:

126172-albums1967-picture16907.bmp

What you did in an action is setting the height of the unit to 50 + BulletLocation Height which will lead it to shape with the shape of the ground like in the picture.

Not only that, when I fixed this problems heights are right but the unit is above the shooter when on heights, 2 images will show what I mean.
126172-albums1967-picture16908.jpg
126172-albums1967-picture16909.jpg

See the number shown on screen, their difference always 50.00

Level 16
Did you see the 2 screen capture ? It bugs when on heights. The problem isn't math, I think its something related to unit heights because the numbers I get prove that my calculation is right.

Also there is another issue when picking the unit to damage them.

126172-albums1967-picture16922.bmp

Your system will destroy the unit even if the bullet at a higher Z.

You may,or may not, know this problem but I think the system needs to be remade but try JASS (if you will give it another try) because when I converted the GUI in custom script it was a mess.

Level 10
hmm.... its possible in GUI but i think its getting max and min of regions and stuff like that and not only heights, and my ssystem wasnt comparing heights :O problem is i never use jass too.... i think i did make the colliding correct, just the movement of bullet :O i really think the best way is to use regions and compare some stuff in them to detect collision, dam it xD

Status
Not open for further replies.