• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Last Stand (Marine RPG)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Me and a friend of mine have been working on a Marine RPG map, which will include the ideas of systems and triggers from other marine games we've played.

-An example is the missile firing system of Counterstrike on WC3, by DisposableHero, made a long time ago, but which never really took off.
-We're trying to implement a system of transportations for choosing quests, bringing you to new areas, after you enter and save the town. Currently, this idea is still being pondered as something that will reduce the replayability of the game, since people hate playing the same quests 10 times over. Considering changing this.
-Lastly, we're trying to add a fully customized interface, which is similar to that of "The Kingdoms of Kaliron", or TKoK, by CrimsonCreations.

We're looking to make the game into something very unique experience revolving around as many original ideas as we possibly can.

Here's a list of some help I'm looking to get on this map:

(X = Do not have, O = Have)

[X]-Someone who knows how to edit the interface textures successfully without it bugging out and putting nothing there instead (as you can see in the current map).
[X]-Someone who can help terrain the area, as terrain is, in my opinion, a large part of every map. I have very bad terraining skills and I wish someone else to help me with it.
[X]-Anyone who can help with adding models or skins to the map for marines or bosses, as the current amount of marine/boss-usable models and skins are very limited (at least unique ones).

I'll release the current version of what I've done so far to the map in this thread, and keep it as updated as possible. It's open to the public since it's not been worked on as much as I had hoped. It has some playability thus far, but not exactly a long one.

If anyone wants to help with the map, has any ideas, or other unique systems and think it would work well in the map, post in THIS THREAD and explain what you plan to do. Since the map will be attached, you're welcome to make the system and such, then repost the map as you wish. I will not be protecting the map until the Save/Load system is built in (which will come very last), as I believe people should be able to learn from what others do without having to rummage through demo maps from people besides the creator who have decoded it.

Current State:
Alpha version .03 (No changelog since it's still in development.)

-SinisteRing

Attachments

• The Last Stand v.03 ALPHA.w3x
    2.8 MB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
-Another idea (which I'm not so sure about adding) is a first-person view combined with a firing system, which might result in the first FPS game/system in WC3. Arrow Key systems that are fluid enough might be considered to be added.

Impossiable unless aided via third party program which reduces multiplayerability.

-Lastly, we're trying to add a fully customized interface, which is similar to that of "The Kingdoms of Kaliron", or TKoK, by CrimsonCreations.
Do you mean custom texture interface? as that is all you can changein default WC3. The button aragements and minimap ect are fixed in position.

Level 6
Impossiable unless aided via third party program which reduces multiplayerability.

No, it's definitely not. I can make a map in about 3 hours that will allow 2+ people to shoot bullets and have a first-person view.

Do you mean custom texture interface? as that is all you can changein default WC3. The button aragements and minimap ect are fixed in position.

I mean custom textures. I know that the button arrangements are locked in place, but I'm talking about something similar to TKoK by CrimsonCreations.

If you haven't played it (which I've not heard of hardly anyone who hasn't), I can post the map for you to see.

No, it's definitely not. I can make a map in about 3 hours that will allow 2+ people to shoot bullets and have a first-person view.

Told ya. Based off the "Missile System" demo map on Epicwar and the "First Person System" as well from Epicwar. (Epicwar is down right now I can't check the authors, will edit it as soon as I can find the authors.) I didn't do it on my system since making that in a small map would be very, very hard. I also plan to increase the range of what you can see in first person, but that will come later. Fine tunes come right before the Save/Load code.

Attachments

• Missile Game.w3x
    27.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
First, do not double post.
Secondly, the movement system is very bad, in real terane it will probably bug and do awquad positions that make moving hard as well as moving is not very accurate.
Thirdly, the missle system leaked VERY badly, who ever made it should study triggers more.
And finally, the accuracy of the system is awfull, nearly being non existant.

Everyone can make a system like yours, however no one can actually make a good system that is barable to play in multiplayer that includes decent accurate aiming.

Level 6
Everyone can make a system like yours, however no one can actually make a good system that is barable to play in multiplayer that includes decent accurate aiming.

Keep in mind, I made this in 3 hours. I double-posted because I needed to attach a file. If I really wanted to work hard enough, I'd make a fluid system. Look at Azeroth Grand Prix, which Blizzard made. They have a missile system and a movement system using arrow keys. First person would be very easily set into the map. Both are fluid and playable online. I don't want this to turn into a flaming post, I just want to ask if this is actually going to be a good idea if it succeeds, and if anyone would be interested in playing it.

EDIT:

Updated the version of the map. Not much has been done at all. Only added a new area.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Look at Azeroth Grand Prix, which Blizzard made

Yes, exactly what I mean, it is insainly hard to play due to the long delay with the arrow keys. There is no fix to that delay too as if there was, everyone whould use them. In SP the map works fine, but in multiplayer you have half a second to one second delay, which makes accuracy hard.

Level 24
I'd suggest not doing anything with the camera, in pretty much all maps i've seen where they have messed around with the camera just creates a rly rly annoying gameplay.
So if you wanna make it close to a realistic system make a system like in "Elimination Tournament".
Im not sure how many systems there is to create such a system, but i know only of Mados which Mad[lion] made for Mad Balls Arena which is simple and got many usefull functions and Infrane's who made ET, but cant remember his system though, you will probably find it on WC3C easy.

Level 11
If you keep players to a minimum, try some AI's out to substitute in the arrow delay should be shorter.
Honestly I don't see why people try First Person view on wc3, it almost never works out well, i hate all first person view games i've played on wc3, i suggest atleast adding a second person view in. Third person is even better.

Level 6
Well thus far no good things have been said about doing things to the camera. I guess I could eliminate the camera/arrow key movement system, which would make the game unlaggy and would possibly make it more bearable to the masses.

That idea is out, so about the missile system, combining that with an RPG sounds like it could still work out.

Anything I should know about that, however?

Level 6
If your making a desert area for your rpg i got an idea.
Make ghouls pop out of the sand togheter with that sand effect, some terrain ripple would look good too.

Well I was planning on a desert-looking area. I am quite bad at terraining as you can see in the map itself. I'll take the idea into mind as well, and it's a great idea. Appreciate the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.