• πŸ† Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. πŸ”—Click here to enter!

The Hunger Games (Official Map)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3

Index
Idea and Storyline
Gameplay
Characters
Progress
Screenshots
Credits
Who do we need?
Members of the project
______________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________

Idea and Storyline

The Hunger Games is a young-adult science fiction novel written by author, Suzanne Collins. In the book, the Hunger Games are an annual televised event where the ruthless and evil Capitol randomly selects one boy and one girl from each of the twelve districts, who are then pitted against each other in a game of survival and forced to kill until only one remains.

After reading the novel, I was inspired by the beauty of the story. And with all the images and ideas flying in my head i had to come up with the creation of a map based on this masterpiece.

Gameplay

Amount of players: 12 max (fullhouse suggested)
Map Genre: Arena/Survival/FFA
Map Type: Miscalleanous / Other
Tileset: Ashenvale

Hero selection
Both me and DarthCrasia have decided to create the 24 tributes found in the novel. Although, we all know that the maximum players, in a Warcraft III game, is 12. So the players will have the possibility to choose a hero among the 24 characters like mentionned before.

Rounds
There will be 3 rounds. Before each rounds (including the first one) all players will be able to either swap or shop for items (limit of one weapon and one armor per hero). Once in the arena, the 12 tributes will have 20 seconds to prepare themselfs (at this state everyone is invulnerable during the 20 seconds).

To Win
Only one player must be remaining to win the round. And to win the entire game, one player must win best 2 out of 3 rounds.

Death
Once a player dies, he will either revive as a ghost or a wolf.

Ghosts: Are invisible but cannot attack. All Ghosts can cast spells but these are only to deconcentrate the remaining tributes (it cannot damage them).

Wolfs: Are visible and can attack. They will have a few passive abilities (not sure what they are yet). All wolfs can die, and once they die the player will become an observer.

Everyone who is dead will revive once the round is over.

Extras
-Few special places to hide (such as portals, caves, tunnels).
-Free Items given to the tributes (each 15 minutes of in-game, if your still alive)
-Items spawn in the middle (at the Cornucopia)
-Random events around the map
-Everyone must maintain a good hitpoint and mana level by either eating food or drinking water (it can be found around he map, at the cornucopia or by killing creeps

Characters

Each characters are identified with a color; males and females. Note that a few characters don't have names at the moment. I will post descriptions for each of the characters in a bit!

District 1
Unknown

Glimmer

District 2
Cato

Clove

District 3
Perry

Ilezah

District 4
Jeremy

Sienna

District 5
Grake

Foxface

District 6
Unknown

Unknown

District 7
Unknown

Unknown

District 8
Toss

Fev

District 9
Erod

Katr

District 10
Chaend

Anerah

District 11
Thresh

Rue

District 12
Peeta
Main skills: Wrestling, Camouflage, Hand to Hand Combat

Katniss
Main skills: Archery, Trapping, Hunting

Progress

Terrain:
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ
Doodads:
Units:
Spells:
Triggers:
Overall:

Screenshots

Credits

Special credits:
Clan DAFT - Support

Who do we need?
1. Suggestions / Feedback
2. Modeller

Light & Dark Production
SeleKinz - Project Head - Terrainer - Storyline writter - Concepter
DarthCrasia - UI Maker - Triggers
Mikiii - Artist - Helper

Last edited:
Level 4
(I saw that no one posted so i thought lets be nice:prazz:)
I think that what you should watch out for is that no one can prolong the game to much by hiding all the time. Specially when only 2 players are left on a big map it can take long until someone kills someone else.

Level 3
(I saw that no one posted so i thought lets be nice:prazz:)
I think that what you should watch out for is that no one can prolong the game to much by hiding all the time. Specially when only 2 players are left on a big map it can take long until someone kills someone else.

Thanks for commenting! And yes i am concerned about having 2 players left on a big map...but like i said players who have died will revive either into a ghost or wolf.

So this means if a wolf kills one of the remaining characters well we will have a winner. On the other hand ghosts can force players into a direction by casting bunch of spells to deconcentrate them.

And also, to survive players will have to go at the center of the map (at the cornucopia) to get usefull items such as water/food (which they will need to maintain their hp and mana at a certain level. So you technicly can't just hide the entire time or else you'll die of hunger!

Level 4
hmm...
You said that you can get food around the map too. Also it doesn't sound very balanced if wolves can go around and kill random people for fun (or even worse: because they don't want a specific player to win). I think I like the ghosts more because they can show people to each other without actually damaging anybody. Also is there any benefit for killing each other except to be the last man standing?
And I have one offtopic question: Is it normal on this forum to not see your own signature?

Level 3
Yes i said that to get the food you would have to kill the creeps around the map. And they'll be a bit hard to get. The other option is the center where food and other items will be spawning. And i understand for the wolfs...i guess your right about that one.

Hmm i was wondering if there should be a benefit for killing each other...i dunno if players should gain levels (i dunno if it would make some players buffed if thats the case). I know that by killing creeps you can get levels.

I was maybe considering a leveling up systeme like in avatar arena, which all players level at the same time...what do you think??

I'm basing this game over a book...and i remember that near the end they had few wolfs summoned (when their were 3 tributes left) and it happenend that the wolfs where created from the dead tributes. So if i do put the wolfs...i could make them really weak!

And yes it is normal to see your own signature in this forum!

Level 4
How about letting the players become wolves if the round takes too long (like spawning a wolf for each dead player at his corpse after 20 minutes or whatever is appropriate). Those Wolves should be though but not too good at chasing so that they can get away or even kill one but have to stay on the move.
About the killing reward: What was the tributes motivation to slaughter each other instead of teaming up and trying to feed themselves better and finding a way out?
I don't really like the Avatar Arena method because it somehow made the whole leveling system senseless. What about giving a low steady exp for free and bonus exp for killing creeps?

Level 3
Good idea i really like that! And your right about Avatar Arena...there is no challenge about leveling up all at the same time.

And in the book some of the tributes team up together...but im scared that if we do put an ally option some people will be stronger...and thats actually what happens in the novel...the stronger tributes teamed up together to kill the weaklings.

And the motivation for all the tributes was to win and come back home. In other words they just wanna get done with the games.

Level 4
You don't need an ally option to have people teaming up to kill the others. They tend to do that all by them selves.
About the motivation problem: what do you think of making the food scarce (after all its called "Hunger Games") so that it will be a good strategy to kill other people to get to their food supplies. Of course that means that food and water drops on death (all items should) and that you shouldn't benefit by eating all the stuff at once (diminishing returns or a maximum fullnes).

Level 3
I know that they will have to decide wether they team-up or don't but i'm not sure if the stronger heroes will just kill everyone together. But i'm thinking that allying should be able, because it would add more realism to the game.

And im not sure about the food thing...it would just make the game either harder or too short. But yes when a hero dies he drops his inventory.

Level 4
Well, I just thought that the name "Hunger Games" means that hunger is an important factor in these "games".
So I thought that while you could all survive with the food you find, there shouldn't be enough food for all to be in a perfect health status. So that whoever gets to the food place first can grab the most (but shouldn't eat it all immediately) and whoever ambushes this guy can grab it from his corpse.

Level 3
Well, I just thought that the name "Hunger Games" means that hunger is an important factor in these "games".
So I thought that while you could all survive with the food you find, there shouldn't be enough food for all to be in a perfect health status. So that whoever gets to the food place first can grab the most (but shouldn't eat it all immediately) and whoever ambushes this guy can grab it from his corpse.

OOHHHHH ok!! LOL omg ya it's good ya this works! Good thinking! I'm gonna apply this to the map.

Level 4
I think there should be an allying option in the game (like -ally color, -unally color) that you can use whenever you want (backstabbing adds to realism). About that what you said with stronger heroes: Shouldn't all heroes be as good as the others in winning? Else no one will pick the weak ones...

Level 3
I think there should be an allying option in the game (like -ally color, -unally color) that you can use whenever you want (backstabbing adds to realism). About that what you said with stronger heroes: Shouldn't all heroes be as good as the others in winning? Else no one will pick the weak ones...

The allying option is exacly what i was thinking about. And yes the heroes will all be equal...but i'm just scared that some might be really good if they are allied with others. But the game will be equally balanced :D

Level 4
About the heroes: What kind of abilities will they have? Magic or just survival and physical skills?
I am asking because I have no idea what the setting of the book is. The TV survival game first made me think that its in a world similar to "Gamer", "Death Race" or that movie where prisoners from all over the world kill each other in an illegal show, but then you mentioned wolves being summoned out of the dead bodies and that the 24 victims were tributes to something or somebody.

Level 3
in the book there isn't such thing as magic it just plays in the future-north-america

are you going to add the trapper-checker wasps to the map =D they are awesome =D
maybe do that the attacked player gets a buff and with this buff he sees things like a firewall or bears approaching and they can damage him but for the other players they are invisible it would be awesome

btw. we are reading this book in the school now =D

Status
Not open for further replies.