• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Fellowship of the Ring - Terrain Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello, dudes this is my current project and the terrain is almost done like 99,6% and here are some screenshots of my map well you know The Lord of the Rings classic movie. I worked for a month on this map and it's still not finished. I'm bad at triggers well atleast the terrain is done.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 460
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 423
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 414
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 416
  • Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 410
  • Screenshot_6.png
    Screenshot_6.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 420
  • Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 406
  • Screenshot_8.png
    Screenshot_8.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 401
  • Screenshot_9.png
    Screenshot_9.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 398
  • Screenshot_10.png
    Screenshot_10.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 395
  • Screenshot_11.png
    Screenshot_11.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 398
  • Screenshot_12.png
    Screenshot_12.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 399
  • Screenshot_13.png
    Screenshot_13.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 404
I think what you're trying to do is great, however there are still things that slightly distract me in these scenes.

A. I think it is way too flat, it needs some raises and lows, platforms etc.
B. Dont use Arathi Rocks by takakenji, it is ugly just like the gold mine model by Blizzard.
C. Don't mix high quality textured object to low quality ones, it needs consistency. Pick an art style, if you prefer a cartoony and anime-ish look then use only cartoony models and textures, if you prefer realism go with high quality realistic models and textures, etc. / Don't mix cartoony and low quality and low poly models with high quality objects.
D. Foliage/Greens need some variation, maybe some flowers, some more grasses, rocks etc. You should also try adding color variation of those bushes in your map, make the color the same as the tile where it is place on.

Nonetheless it still looks great. Keep terraining. :)

Level 7
Looks pretty good, I especially like the underground scenery.
Pick an art style, if you prefer a cartoony and anime-ish look then use only cartoony models and textures, if you prefer realism go with high quality realistic models and textures
I totally agree with this, it gets very confusing mixing the two. However, I don't think that it's such a big issue in your case, but you could definitely benefit from using some more high quality stuff (I'd say that's the best way to go for you on this type of map).
I think it is way too flat, it needs some raises and lows, platforms etc.
I disagree, so many people tend to overdo the terraining differences on regular ground. I mean if you're gonna make mountains, sure do hella big mountains but don't make the regular ground bumpy as hell, it's just weird. There's of course exceptions, in very rough terrain. But on the pictures you're showing I wouldn't say it would be fitting to have very rough terrain, since it's so close to paths etc. The rocky ground on screenshot 1 should have some difference in height though, since you know, it's mountains, they're not really affected by people walking on them like soft ground.

I don't know how limited you are with doodads but it would be nice if you could put some more, not everywhere but focus on edges like close to rocks, buildings and stuff to make them pop. Also make use of the terrain details, like you did in screenshot 5 with the flowers. They look more natural there because the grass looks more healthy and fertile. Good job.

As to the mountains on screenshot 6, exaggerate. This scene is supposed to be extremely mighty, those mountains are way too petty. You should feel like a tiny little insignificant person in a huge majestic world when traveling on this river.

Last edited:
Level 2
I have made a remake of the entire map with the Reforged Editor it looks better. More screenshots will be added when i make a progress.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_020820_173126_001.png
    WC3ScrnShot_020820_173126_001.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 111
  • WC3ScrnShot_020820_175805_001.png
    WC3ScrnShot_020820_175805_001.png
    2 MB · Views: 110
Judging your reforged terrain, I personally think reforged rocks will look way better in your terrain than using that ugly white rocks with terrible texture wraps.

I also recommend not color-tinting any models in the editor, instead you should edit the textures, recolor parts of the texture to make it fit with the color of the other models you have in your scene, that model is originally green-colored as far as I remember, you can edit that part in the texture, hue it to purple, and see what happens.

The bridge is also wayyy to high quality and bright compared to the rest of the doodads around, you can lower the tint of that bridge to RGB 200 200 200 or RGB 150 150 150.

Your terrain and sky is dark, you should pick dark models too, or you can just simply change your tiles to something brigher since your models (especially the structures) you have used are for bright scenes (Well you did pick the right tiles in the original one you made (pre-reforged version), you might want to do the same in the new version you're making).

Finally, don't ever mix HQ models in LQ models, your choice is to strictly pick HQ models to be consistent or you can downgrade the texture quality of the HQ models to fit with the LQ models.

Last edited:
Level 2
Judging your reforged terrain, I personally think reforged rocks will look way better in your terrain than using that ugly white rocks with terrible texture wraps.

I also recommend not color-tinting any models in the editor, instead you should edit the textures instead, recolor parts of the texture to make it fit with the color of the other models you have in your scene, that model is originally green-colored as far as I remember, you can edit that part in the texture, hue it to purple, and see what happens.

The bridge is also wayyy to high quality and bright compared to the rest of the doodads around, you can lower the tint of that bridge to RGB 200 200 200 or RGB 150 150 150.

Your terrain and sky is dark, you should pick dark models too, or you can just simply change your tiles to something brigher since your models (especially the structures) you have used are for bright scenes (Well you did pick the right tiles in the original one you made (pre-reforged version), you might want to do the same in the new version you're making).

Finally, don't ever mix HQ models in LQ models, your choice is to strictly pick HQ models to be consistent or you can downgrade the texture quality of the HQ models to fit with the LQ models.
I m limited with resources i m still working slowly on this map cause there are no models for reforged yet lotr theme models or skins i will remove some of the rocks and i will see how they gonna fit the stock ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.