• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Devils Cave

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
The Devils Cave

you choose one of 4 heroes and walk through the several rooms of a dungeon
  • your hero doesnt have a normal attack, you have to use ur abilities to fight enemies
  • (every hero has like an 'normal attack'-ability you will use most time)
  • use the hotkeys (Q, W, E, R) for your abilities!

some tips:
  • try to dodge enemy attacks! (enemies do high damage but most have a weak aim)
  • collect scrolls to activate further abilities
  • use keys to open chests/doors

Fighter
  • good at tanking and weakening enemies
  • has the most hp and hp-regen
  • runs out of mana fast, when using both offensive and defensive abilities (especially when fighting bosses)

Archer
  • has the strongest primary attack-skill
  • excellent at fighting single enemies (especially bosses/elites)
  • can be overwhelmed by masses of weak enemies

Wizard
  • has the most powerful damage-spells of all classes
  • excellent at fighting masses of enemies
  • has a primary attack that is weak against single targets
  • can use spells in rapid succession, because of his high mana & mana-regen

Priest
  • has lots of healing spells (not potion-dependent)
  • his spells make the whole party more durable
  • only one damage-spell at the standard configuration

2dgthr5.jpg

i used some custom icons/models wich are all downloaded from the hiveworkshop, check the questlog ingame to see credits

Map created

heroes:
  • all heroes have 4 abilities now
  • changed the fighters model into the 'footman'-model
  • new icons for the fighters abilities
  • mana-costs of archers abilities are now more balanced
  • priest now has more healing spells

items:
  • item drop system is now trigger based (items drop randomly)
  • a lot more items for all classes (all of them are usefull now, in their way)
  • added spell-enhancing items
  • added spell-replacing items (turns 'X' into 'Y')
  • items, which provide aditional spell-like abilities now can be triggered with the 'F'-key
  • added custom item-classes (like 'robe', 'staff', 'magic tome' etc.)
  • added an item stack system for potions

bosses/enemies:
  • added a diffculty system which can be handled by player1
  • improved the bossfights, bosses now use AoE-spells and revive on higher difficulties
  • made enemies damage clear arranged (like 5-5 instead of 6-7)
  • slightly balanced enemies stats

dungeon:
  • changed the dungeon-concept a bit (it is more linear now, added a new Door)
  • you get your abilities earlier now
  • added treasure chests, which can be opened by keys
  • added spike traps, which appear at a different position every time the map is played

& fixed tons of little bugs etc.

this version is way more fun now

please rate and tell me what i should have done better ;)

(I still work on the system and i plan more maps with different terrain, but i'm very lazy at terraining and actually i'm not very good at it too, so if someone wants to help me with a new map by spending some time in the terrain, just tell me. i appreciate any kind of help at this point)

Keywords:
rpg, hero, heroes, dungeon, devil, cave, roleplay, medieval, action
Contents

The Devils Cave (Map)

Reviews
10:36, 23th Mar 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Rejected No any progress at all. 15:22, 11th Nov 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected (until updated) This map needs an awful lot of work before it can get approved.

M

10:36, 23th Mar 2011
-Kobas-:
No any progress at all.
15:22, 11th Nov 2010
ap0calypse: Rejected (until updated)

This map needs an awful lot of work before it can get approved.

Is that really necessary Dark?......

But yeah, your going to want to translate your map into English - for a map to be approved it must be in English (or at least have English as an option if you make your map have multiple languages within it).

I would comment more on the map but you protected it, and atm I don't have time to play through it

Level 13
It dosn't look too bad, I'll check it out :)

By the way, you still need to add more to your discripition, even though you have made it alot better. Its still lacking a story and proper explaination.

Level 3
thx @ Zealon for the advice

but i'm not sure if i understood it the way it was meant. Sry for this, i'm new at uploading maps, but i want to improve, so maybe after u tried out the map u can tell me something concrete, i defenetely missed in description. that'll be very nice :psmile:

Level 3
i played it and it was a really nice map, but i and a friend(we played it with 2 people) think that the healer should have a heal from begin and a aoe heal on skill 2 or 3(he have 2 dmg skills, fail for a healer).
another boring fact is, that the terrain is always the same, maybe add some other areas like a ice area or something with special in it, like glacier who shoots out of the ground or something, it would be interesting then

Level 28
First of all: you should rename the map to "The Devils Cave" or something, the file name may be whatever it is now, but please change the map name to something more general.

Off to the map itself:

Objects:
You should really rework the objects.
One thing you have to learn is how the damage formula works, instead of damage such as 5-5, you get 6-8 or whatever.
In maps like this, it can be quite bothersome.
And there is a huge lack in items, most of the mage-items are useless either way as my mana regenerates way too fast without the items.
The spells are all standard, run-of-the-mill spells (nothing special).
Heroes don't have experience, they just have 3 spells (the fighter 4, and you only get the second spell halfway in the game, way too late).
The no-damage-only-spells idea is good, but please: make more spells and redo the system to get spells, as nobody wants a game where they can only use 1 spell for the majority of the time.

And instead of triggered drops, everything is pre-set (it lowers the replay value a lot).

Triggers:
Another thing you might want to rework.
Your triggers contain awfully much leaks and are very inefficient.
The entire category Durchgänge can be done with a single trigger that would work better than what you've got at the moment.

Terrain:
I wouldn't have done the terrain like this myself, but I guess it passes for a standard terrain.
At the very least, I'm happy you didn't use cinematic doodads and you tried to make it more interesting with a few doodads.

Gameplay:
I already mentioned this, but you should add more spells.
And not only that, amke them customizable so the items actually do something.
I highly suggest you get a better triggerer for that, as your current triggering-level won't really do the job for customizable spells.
At first, the game is very interesting to play, but it very quickly loses interest due to repetitive creeps, repetitive spells (what a surprise, as you only have 1 spell until mid-game), the lack of items (and even less useful items), the creeps always having 2-3HP left because of their very small HP regen, the constant running between caves to find something etc.

In general: I like the idea of only being able to use spells to defeat enemies, running through caves to find points of interest, but you executed this very poorly.
The spells get too boring too fast, there are nearly no points of interest and the items don't even do anything valuable (make them increase the spell damage, or spell critical chance, or make certain items increase only a single spell's stats or whatever!).

Rating: 1/5 (getting close to 2/5, but only because of the idea).

Level 3
first:
again thanks to all, who tested/rated the map. I use all ur suggestions for improvement, which brings me to

second:
i'm currently working on version v1.1, which is nearly completed, providing the following improvements:

- a difficulty system
- randomized item drops
- a slightly changed dungeon-architecture (in which u get ur 2nd and 3rd ability earlier)
- a custom item classification system (e.g. to ensure that heroes cannnot carry more than one weapon/armor/etc. at the time)

more and better items such as:
- Items that boost a specific ability (ability X deals +25 damage)
- Items that change abilities (e.g. archer can choose to change his 'hail-of-arrows'-skill to a 'sniper-shot' which does just hit a single target but deals high damage and slows enemy down)
- Items that provide full 'ability-sets' (e.g. wizard can chhose to become a pyro-mage, so his abilities change into fire spells which do additional damage or become a lightning-mage, so his new lightning-spells can hit more targets at once)

and of course lots of little changes in balancing/interface/etc.

i hope i can upload this new version during the next few weeks and i hope all of you will help me to check up everything

greetz,
pflasti

Level 6
=D sounds even better, although if your making better items etc. Add more creep variation and make them get progressively stronger to balance it out a bit -- the creeps were already very easy bosses kinda easy, 'cept the final boss though XD he was fun but I'd still like to see him buffed a bit he died just a bit too quickly without the items you will be adding. Also make like a 30-60 second delay before the win trigger kicks in, just to chat and possibly organize another game.

Level 3
i already worked on the bossfights, bosses now fight normally, summon minions or use AoE-spells in phase.

my actual problem is, that i cant scale their hitpoints to the amount of players, cause if i do so via handycap, my triggers, triggering the phases wont work any longer. At present they work like (if life of BOSS < 1000 then...) but if there are more players and the boss has more hitpoints then it doesnt work, cause the editor doesnt accept variables in this equation (e.g. if life of BOSS < x then... | x = 1000 * number of players).

maybe someone can tell me how to fix this?