• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Darkening War (Beta)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
The Darkening Wars
Map and Idea created by AngryBovine

The Humans and Mutants are locked in Combat.jpg

This map is still a beta! Features not yet implemented (NYI) are listed below! This map also happens to be NOT PROTECTED! However, all the work on the map is exclusively mine (except for the models and anything else I specified)! If you wish to use any part of it for whatever reason, please contact me and I'm sure we can work something out!

[Screenshots added! Downloads for beta testing are available at the bottom!]
[Updated Map d/l available at: The Darkening Wars v.1.02 - The Hive Workshop]

Map Info:

The Darkening Wars map is a sort of complete conversion; while it is still an RTS like WCIII and aims to be a balanced game regardless of faction, it uses completely original units and races.

What's the goal, you may ask? Destroy the other players on the map by razing there base. (As of now, this is the only way to achieve victory.)

The Darkening Wars map takes place in a post-modern apocalyptic setting, where mutants run amuck while the humans fight a civil war to gain the last of the usable earth.

Map Features:

-Two unique races, each with a very different style of gameplay
-Fast combat (I would say semi-realistic, but that's an opinion)
-Accuracy system for weapons and artillery; even though shells miss, they may still hurt with their splash damage!
-Weather: Weather affects both unit behavior and visibility! This plays a huge part in when to attack and when not to.
-Unique (to my knowledge) upgrading and ranking system for structures; higher level structures do everything more efficiently, including training units faster! (This applies only to humans.)
-Total Annihilation-esque resource system (as humans); You get a constant flow of resources into your cache. Building more resource harvesting structures increases this rate.
-What about mutant resources? They don't use any! You'll find out shortly after using their race just why.
-As humans, all your units can "level up" through military rankings; you may just want to keep your sergeants alive! Higher ranks bestow bonuses, and may eventually grant auras.
-As mutants, you strive for communal sharing; mutants don't level up themselves, but gain additional experience to their Mutation Menu.
-Each faction has a "hero," named as either the Tactical Aid or Mutation Menu. This is a hero, but it cannot fight like heroes in regular Warcraft. Instead, it represents yourself and can gain abilities (NYI) which can affect the battlefield. The General also gains experience as long as your troops are fighting and winning!
-The mutant Mutation Menu must be leveled up in order to reach further down the mutant tech tree. To do this, either wait (a long amount of time) or kill stuff! Early "creeping" will yield faster teching.
-Since the human tech tree is vast, as there are four upgrades per structure, there are a lot of tech requirements. All military tech can be found in the Academy, while all non-military tech can be found in the Laboratory.

NYI features:

-Airstrikes
-Complete Tier 3 units for mutants; T3 abilities
-Mutant Abilities
-Tactical Aid/Mutation Menu skills

Final Things:

What I need from you: To help me test this map and give feedback! If map testing is too consuming, any and all comments and criticisms are appreciated for the idea itself, on what I have listed here!

And... Credits:

I have to give a lot of thanks to a bunch of guys who make the models, because without them, this map would not have been possible. The following are all people who's models are included in this map:

IllidanEvilX, Kofi Banan, Mechanical Man, Cavman, Talon the Mage, Tomura, WillTheAlmighty, Olofmoleman

Thanks to Fluff for the AoE Icon when you target things, and TheTerran for the awesome asphalt!

(If I missed anyone, please, please, alert me! I apologize ahead of time!)

So, play it a lot, and tell me what you think!

Attachments

• The Darkening Wars v1 BETA.w3x
    3 MB · Views: 67
  • The Darkening Wars v90gbot.w3x
    3 MB · Views: 83
  • DarkeningWars1.jpg
    DarkeningWars1.jpg
    764.7 KB · Views: 320
  • DarkeningWars2.jpg
    DarkeningWars2.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 244
  • DarkeningWars3.jpg
    DarkeningWars3.jpg
    875.8 KB · Views: 233
  • DarkeningWars4.jpg
    DarkeningWars4.jpg
    918.2 KB · Views: 214
  • DarkeningWars5.jpg
    DarkeningWars5.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 200
  • DarkeningWars6.jpg
    DarkeningWars6.jpg
    815.5 KB · Views: 145
  • DarkeningWars7.jpg
    DarkeningWars7.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 127
  • DarkeningWars8.jpg
    DarkeningWars8.jpg
    908 KB · Views: 153
  • DarkeningWars9.jpg
    DarkeningWars9.jpg
    913.5 KB · Views: 133
  • DarkeningWars10.jpg
    DarkeningWars10.jpg
    962.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Mutant Base at Work.jpg
    Mutant Base at Work.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 147
  • Mutants are Victorious.jpg
    Mutants are Victorious.jpg
    982.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Mutants on the prowl.jpg
    Mutants on the prowl.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 115
  • The Mutants attack.jpg
    The Mutants attack.jpg
    989.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Level 8
You can try to upload your map to this site.
You can see the other people comment and feedback.

Try to upload it

Level 9
Looking great, keep up the good work.
The fog seems somewhat annoying at parts, trying using a less dense fog or try not using it, and compare the looks, etc.
-Bane

Level 9
Looking great, keep up the good work.
The fog seems somewhat annoying at parts, trying using a less dense fog or try not using it, and compare the looks, etc.
-Bane

Thanks for the comment and the rep!

For the fog, I will consider "lifting" it, but currently, the fog mechanic works by shifting it from day to night in order to hinder line of sight. And, with any luck, it's relatively short lived. The duration of weather is generally ~3 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.