• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Dark Lord Chapter 1

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
A Soldier named Arkon has an important Message for the King in Grado Keep. He slept towards of his campfire and awakes because he has a nightmare. Dream or Future?

On his way there are many Obstacles.

Press "Esc" to skip.
Contents

The Dark Lord Chapter 1 (Map)

Reviews
14:52, 3rd Jun 2009 by bounty hunter2: The mini-mods are quite clear on this, Rejected.

M

14:52, 3rd Jun 2009 by bounty hunter2:
The mini-mods are quite clear on this, Rejected.

Level 1
Review:
+awesome camera movement
-very bad grammar
-confusing story
-some units and doodads badly placed
+can be skipped
-bad terrain at some points
-few other type buggs
-almost no usage of sounds
-no weather effects
+ very small size, even for a cinematic this short
2/5 for now
Need your map 100% bugg-free? Contact me.

Level 31
1) Description - Description at this site was lacking and need to be improve, adding a screenshot to give user a preview of how it look would not hurt either.

2) Terrain - Terrain was poorly develop and show a sign of the lacking usage of destructible/doodad. To begin with, the entire forest tree look like they been pack into 1 sardin can and there is no sign of other destructible/doodad such as shrubs or flowers.

1.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

Try use different height, type and size for the tree and don't make them pack to one another like this as it would make it ugly.

The entire destructible/doodad was randomly spam across the map without proper planning; this was shown and proven at the screenshot below.

4.jpg

If anybody paid attention to the building at the left side of the screenshot. Just look at where the structure was facing; it was facing the hill instead of the city.

It shown an abnormal sign. To make a visual for you, let me ask you this question. Would you build a house where the entrance was directly infront of the cliff?

3) Camera - Most of the camera angle was badly chosen especially the dream scene. You choose to have the camera below the ground, but did not remove the aura effect of the unit. This doesn't give the audience the visual of dimension for it.

3.jpg

From what I view, the camera movement was rather choppy as well and the time was inconsistent. When the camera zoom towards the bandit, the speed was average. However, when it zoom back to original position. The speed was rather quick, try to make the speed consistent especially when you are making a zoom in/out view.

4) Sound & Sound Effect - As far as it goes, there is hardly any use of sound effect. It seems like it had been used only once as far as I view it.

5) Music - There is no music, as the music depends on which races a player was chosen before they start the cinematic.

6) Animation - You did not reset animation after it had been use, do you know it would cause several strange action over it?

7) Scripting/Triggering - This cinematic lack of all basic cinematic setup. It does not contain the necessary trigger such as turning off ambient sound.

8) Fog - Bad fog selections and sky. The entire sky was dark and yet the entire village look bright even though there is no light around them?

4.jpg

You did not trigger the fog effect, thus it make the entire terrain seems to be at world end. Just take a look.

5.jpg

At here, it was morning. But the sky show like wise. It still dark?

6.jpg

9) Special Effect - The amount of special effect being use is quite alright. At the ending scene, I though you going to overused sfx for the battle scene.

10) Replayability - Replayability was almost none. It was way too lacking to be acceptable to the hive database, you need to improve the terrain, camera movement need to be smooth out, music and sound effect should be add into it, implement the necessary basic trigger for it and so on.

The cinematic have several odd/bizzare action as well. The unit slash at other part and the footman is dead?

8.jpg

When the footman was casting an ability at the ending scene of this cinematic, every single bandits seems to be standing still like a dummy waiting for their death. This isn't suppose to happen at battle scene as this was a clear sign of waiting syndrome.

A dummy battle would be a scene where unit A attack or cast spells; only then unit B would take action. This kind of battle are unrealistic and doesn't occur at real life. If you want to make a battle look as real as possible, you need to make both unit retaliate against one another without showing any mercy.

And if you ever think of making any battle scene at your cinematic, never ever use Wait action as they are inaccurate and would never give you the performance you need all the time.

Try download cinematic system that are currently available at spells section of hiveworkshop, it could have you to make everything execute at the exact time.

Overall, this cinematic quality was definitely at unacceptable stage. In order to get it approve, you need to fix a lot of errors in it. I already mention plenty of error in it with a few suggestion, good luck in improving it.

My rating is 1/5 (Unacceptable) and vote for rejection.

Note : Replayability isn't the reason of why it get rating 1/5.

Level 5
Here's what I think about this cinematic.

My Review
I felt the cinematic was lacking or had some areas that needed improvement
-Grammar: I notice a couple of a few grammar mistakes in this cinematic. An example is this.... "Hello! Welcome to Gerdia. What's Your wants?" Isn't it suppose to be... "What do you want?"
-Terran: Your terrain was very boring and lacking. In the beginning of the cinematic, you just had a bunch of trees, a campfire, and a tent. There was no hills, rivers, rocks, plants, etc. I would suggest adding them to your cinematic so it looks more alive instead of plain.
-Weather/Climate: If it's morning, then why is the sky dark?
-Music: There is no music in this cinematic.
-Camera:The camera movement was alright, but not great.
Overall, I had hopes for this cinematic but I felt that it was a disappointment. 1/5..

Last edited:
Level 1
The terrain lacked proper height variations in the whole of the map. Tile variations weren't good either.

There were grammar mistakes present in the cinematic. Mainly after the soldier reaches the town.

The description should contain some screenshots alongwith the written description. It helps the user the grasp the idea of cinematic & makes them more interested in viewing the cinematic.

music & sound effects keep a person going on in a cinematic many times. Otherwise a person may just click Alt + F4 in the middle. Remember this while updating this. Take out the warcraft original sounds from the places where it is not needed.

fog is needed in the map.

Take care that while watching the cinematic the viewer thinks about if the situation is even possible like the person chopping Arkon from that high & Arkon dying. Take care of this or the viewer will just ignore the cineamtic as unnatural.

the repalayability of a cinematic depends on interest a cinematic can create when seen the first time. the cinematic last scene needs to be taken care of for this alongwith the rest of cinematic. the last scene's animations does not prompt me to watch that again.

1/5 for current quality but I hope that you will improve this & give me a chance to increase this. Best of luck with the improvements.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/cinematics-268/ go here to get a review before you update this cinematic. Ask questions on how to do the improvements in the cinematic. It will help you.