• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

The Chat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we are talking about the public Lobby only here. Still, it would be better not doing that, for the sole reason of privacy. People could easily push things out of proportion and context when they read the logs, but haven't been a part of the conversations.

So far, people manually saving the logs worked rather well.

As Deolrin said, saving logs from the Staff tab for staff only would be useful though.

Level 17
I don't mind chat logs being public for the staff if it's in the main lobby, but private chats have to stay private.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
It's not like anyone uses the staff lobby room. Regardless, I agree with making the logs public if it includes logs prior to the chat's reopening.

Anyway, I disagree with reopening the chat overall. There's the DevianArt chat in which you can't get banned for reasons which should not get you banned: i.e. giving people rashes.

Anyway, I disagree with reopening the chat overall. There's the DevianArt chat in which you can't get banned for reasons which should not get you banned: i.e. giving people rashes.
I am sorry, I don't get your point here. Sure, the dA-Chat is free of any kind of restrictions ("a place to be yourself"), but why does that hinder Hive chat from being reopened?
Because there are Chat mods who observe behaviour and act accordingly when something against the site rules (those that are rightful rules) is done?
It's like a class room where the teacher tells people to calm down, not to insult each other etc.

Also, this only applies to the regular Lobby. No Chat mod can see the hidden whisper tabs, hence if you are using those, you can pretty much do whatever you want (as long as one of the chat partners doesn't report anything).

Additionally, there will always be people who can't take even the slightest uncomfortable situation. I don't want this to be a reason for keeping Hive Chat shut.

Deolrin, banning someone on dA-chats is not possible, as far as I know. We can "demote" people to sub-groups that the chat group creator sets up, however, everyone can "promote" himself again. This is basically another way of telling people what they are doing (statuses in Hive Chat).

Also, I have been there frequently, and I haven't seen neither Ralle nor TDW entering it. Ever.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
It's like a class room where the teacher tells people to calm down, not to insult each other etc.
Teachers order students to do this because noise does not help (or so it would seem) with the teaching and learning process. As in, it depends entirely on what the purpose of the Hive chat is, which never was clearly defined. The dA chat works fine with no rules, no moderators and no purpose, however.

Teachers order students to do this because noise does not help (or so it would seem) with the teaching and learning process. As in, it depends entirely on what the purpose of the Hive chat is, which never was clearly defined. The dA chat works fine with no rules, no moderators and no purpose, however.
dA chat is what people make of it. Sometimes being funny, sometimes trolling, sometimes having serious discussions about various topics such as art.

Level 6
Only thing i see as important to have in a chatroom is a spam control and a "ignore" function, other than that i don't see why you need any rules...as long as ppl know there are no rules then they wont take random slander serious anyways...

Yes, that is correct, and somehow it manages to be clear of drama/problems/issues.
Because the people there pretty much know each other, and been around each other for a long time before that. They know how to interact with each other, the characteristics of themselves etc.
It's a more "mature" chat community, if you understand what I mean.

But isn't it a shit chat then? :(
No, absolutely not.... >_>

Level 17
On the subject of the hive and dA chats, hive chat is better in the way that you don't have to register onto another website you'll probably never use unless your an artist or something similar to that.

Though I like both chats re-opening the hive one would be more 'beneficial' to the community from a neutral standpoint.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Could you give us the arguments given for not reopening the chat (yet)? Because I would like to know why someone would think it is still bad/detrimental/not neccessary/etc.
This is being discussed among the staff currently. I will post an update when there is something to say. [...]
This still stands.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Well, this atleast shows that people are looking forward to Chat being reopened. A positive feedback, I think? :)
If there was (silenced?) negative feedback about the chat being locked, then positive feedback about its reopening was foreseeable. :pmeh: It's just a shame that there will be more inevitable dramas about it. P.S. — And they won't be handled properly, as tradition dictates.

Level 16
It's not like anyone uses the staff lobby room. Regardless, I agree with making the logs public if it includes logs prior to the chat's reopening.

1. Hive chat is so good and we can chat privately with ease. dA chat has 2-mile long formula that, when I write it, it gives fatal error or whatever: just not working.
  2. Hive chat teases a little whenever some one talks to you. dA's people jutalk to you and you dont recognize until it's too late, since the chat log is too small.
  3. And finally, talks that mention your name are good green fonted :) dA's just look black & white

Hive chat win!

one thing dA is better: IT DID NOT GET CLOSED

This is being discussed among the staff currently. I will post an update when there is something to say.

other things

Please, finsih it quickly!!!!!

Last edited:
Level 31

Actually, dA chat does have one flaw. It has no ignore and instead has user groups. This is a major problem in my opinion. I don't agree with the user groups and I think a /ignore is needed ; ). Also, from what I remember, I don't believe it had whispers.

Furthermore, most of the people who hang out in that chatroom are immature jerks, and I am speaking of this plainly and objectively =).

Example: they'll ask you questions, and if they don't like your answers, they'll all work together to keep you perma muted, hence immature jerks.

Level 36
writting did"n't" is like saying did not , so there's no point in writting not 2 times.

There's no point in writing "writting" two times either,
- it's simply wrong.

Regarding the point of interest, I'd have to say I agree with the majority here,
- There really is no reason to keep the chat closed any longer.

And especially no need to hold back information regarding it's state of being and progress on the "discussion" about it in and off itself.

I actually find the statement: "I will post an update when there is something to say" - Rather amusingly unprofessional at this point, for now it's been four days since it's uttering, and nothing's been said. One can then assume that there hasn't been discussed anything, considering the statement in itself, and as thus one can just as easily assume there's no person sitting on a reason to why it shouldn't be opened in your hierarchy.

I say, re-initiate the chat.

lol, DSG... What do you regard "serious abuse"? I don't remember "serious abuse" when I visited Chat (and I was there pretty much daily).

Also, that would require additional chat mods. I don't think there are many left, after most of them resigned/got demoted etc.
The only people I recall having chat powers now are admins (who rarely visited chat back then) and Kael.

Level 16
I just want back the place that I used hang out when I was bored and where I could almost always engage a conversation about almost anything..

And I have to agree with Keiji. My question was not really answered with that post, Ralle. Though I certainly thought about mentioning it, I could definitely not have done it without coming over at least a little bit rude and/or angry. (And thus I intentionally did not respond) So, I would like to ask you again:

What are the /arguments/ given not to re-open the chat (yet)?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
map-designer said:
(...) Hive chat is so good and we can chat privately with ease. dA chat has 2-mile long formula that, when I write it, it gives fatal error or whatever: just not working. (...)
I agree that it's not user-friendly, but it works.

Nestharus said:
(...)
Example: they'll ask you questions, and if they don't like your answers, they'll all work together to keep you perma muted, hence immature jerks.
I never tried to find out why, but you seem to be infamous around them. Regardless, everyone knows I had my history with most people who go there and the situation you described has never happened to me. Maybe you didn't make the best choice of words upon your approach.

Keiji said:
(...) One can then assume that there hasn't been discussed anything, considering the statement in itself, and as thus one can just as easily assume there's no person sitting on a reason to why it shouldn't be opened in your hierarchy. (...)
Four days is too little. Having been on the staff, you know how long it takes for things to get done even after they're done being discussed — and proposals rarely even reach that stage. On top of that, folks who used to make things move are now gone, so we can only expect the waiting time to grow worse.

I3lackDeath said:
lol, DSG... What do you regard "serious abuse"? (...)
A key question. The primary quandary here should not be why the chat delays in reopening, but why it was locked in the first place. After the prepotent, inverosimile advocacy that people were running amok with their wires peeled open, there was no appended debate on what led to such a situation or, at the very least, what caused many of the issues reported in the past. Which gives me the uneasy gut feeling that history is bound to repeat itself, as is the quoted question.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
What's funny is that some of you hope to go back to that same old hive chat. I don't know if we frequented the same place but anyone I ever saw say anything not super awkward or editor related is banned, and the chat doesn't face better odds than this forum at being what it used to be.

Make whatever you want out of this situation. But don't expect hive 2 months ago.

Level 17
There should have at least by this time have been some notion of news worthy of sharing.

I agree with this statement, dancing around the situation will get nothing done. But I have a feeling that the staff members will continue to dance around this issue for a good 2-3 months before we go from A to B.

Status
Not open for further replies.