• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Bombard Run! 1.9b

The map is filled with bombard cannons that will shoot the players who must keep on running or they will die.

It might sound simple and easy at first, but it is definately not easy (well depends on other players' skills...)

Remember: Running behind someone will probably get you killed. Running in front of somebody will probably get him killed.

You need to make smart and fast moves in this game to win.

Version Changes:
- added floating player names
you can now see who you kill / who kills you
- added arrow key movement
you can now use arrow keys or mouse, or both, when you control your runner
Contents

The Bombard Run! 1.9b (Map)

why? All you have to do is survive a couple of seconds more, this usually makes so that if the last 2 players die at the same time, draw occurs and it requires more skill than luck to win.

Edit: The game has been updated to version 1.9 now.

New features include:
- floating player names above their runners
- arrow key movement
(you can still use mouse to move your runner too)

Level 16
Fun idea. But the map suffers from great lag. When running alone (that you cant see anyone else) your fps (frame per second) drops by about 20. If one other person comes close it drops by about 30. When multiple people running closely the fps sinks to unbearable number. And Im not running on any crappy 10 year old comp :p. Is there any way to reduce the lag?

Also you often click on the towers making the unit move to them and stop. It only takes a small delay and that's the end of you. And in bnet there is always some delay. I would suggest given the towers the ability 'locust' to make them unclickable and setting some pathing blockers so you cant walk through them.

Because the camera follows the unit you need to constantly be clicking where to move. With the combination of graphical lag and bnet delay the reactions of the unit are sometimes too slow and you get yourself killed. I would suggest that you make the unit move constantly. You could also make them slide all the time. That you would boost great deal the stradegic aspect of the game. You could focus more on killing your opponents than worrying about if you are going to break your mouse soon with all that hitting :).

I enjoyed playing the map once, but with those problems I cant see myself playing it again. I hope you will improve the map.

Yeah the graphical lag is sometimes an issue, but it hasn't bothered me, since it never lags too much if people turn off all their downloads and concentrate on the game.
But yes I might try to remove the lag in further versions.

And clicking on towers, yes I know that it could be fixed with locust, but I want the game to be hard so you must constantly focus or you will end up dead.

"Because the camera follows the unit you need to constantly be clicking where to move."

Exactly! This game requires some finger endurance as well.

But yes, some players have suggested for me to make the units slide around the map and I might even add that kind of feature to the next version.

"I enjoyed playing the map once, but with those problems I cant see myself playing it again. I hope you will improve the map."

Well the only "problem" I see is the lag. Anyway I have been thinking on adding several modes so hosts can decide how the game is played.

Level 5
This map is rather fun, but I find it too simple :bored:. I mean, there isn't much to it, its just run, try to get other runners killed, and dodge the bullets. I think its' too simplistic in my opinion.
Suggestions: Maybe add some special towers? (Homing towers, missile towers, poison tower, etc. And have each of those towers have a unique ability. Like poison tower slows you down, Homing towers shoot bullets at you that follow you for a period of time, etc.) or special power ups/items that runners are able to obtain. That way, it adds more competition for surviving to the game. For example, Rune of speed, net, damaging items, etc. And maybe some modes wouldn't hurt. be more creative, add some taste to the game :grin:.
Overall: The game could be great if only some features were added. But the way it is now, I rate this a [3/5]. Keep up the good work tho, I like the idea of this map. :thumbs_up: