• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Battle on River v1.0

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This map is called the River Battle v1.0 and is for 4 players, 2v2, 8 Gold Mini 4 item shop. And please consider the map and comment whether good or bad.
Contents

The Battle on River v1.0 (Map)

Reviews
19:56, 2nd Dec 2013 Orcnet: Lacking map quality and description

M

19:56, 2nd Dec 2013
Orcnet: Lacking map quality and description

Level 30
Melee map does not look that much good.

First of all, the terrain is bad. No tile variations, is too flat and empty. Better put up some different tile combinations into the terrain to make the terrain better, use the raise/lower tool to make different variations at the ground, and put some doodads/destructibles in-game to decorate the map for it looks empty. Fog color does not fit the overall terrain mood also.

Second, map is somehow symmetric. But there is too much Goblin Merchants at map, try changing two of them into different ones. Creep drops looks bad. Random Any Level Item is a bad choice. Use Random Level 1-2 Permanent or Misc Items for lesser to less creeps and Random Level 2+ Permenent or Misc Items for stronger creeps (I do think this is what fits for most melee maps but if not, everyone is free to correct me). What I see from your item drops is that even Campaign items can be dropped from creeps because there is not much restriction into it. Also stronger creeps can drop lesser items, it would be better if they drop strong misc or permanent items only.

For the Misc items in the map, dont remove the bounds of the map for it looks bad. In your case, you removed it which should not be. Creep Camps for this melee looks much bad also, it looks too open and wide. Have a look through melee maps and you'll know what usually creep camps look like.

Overall, map is pretty much not in an Approvable state yet, keep updating the map until it meets an Approvable state.