• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

"The Arena"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Ok so anyways i just read the thing about "The Arena" and i must say thats pretty cool! i for one cant wait to join in on some of the contests! HOWEVER, i found one big flaw in it. you guys said that the contest winners will be determined by voting polls at the end of each contest, but that can lead to some searious flaws. Heres a few:

1. People can create multiple acounts and vote for their map multiple times. if we had thousands of peole voting it wouldnt be a big deal but i assume that the number of people that will actually be voting in these things will probably be quite small (1, 2 dozen or so?).
2. Some people won't vote for what they think was the best map. there will be misclicks, some idiots that didnt read through the pole the whole way through and just selected one of the things to see the results of it instead of clicking the "View Results" button, some people will vote for friends, some people wont take the time to look at all the maps and will only look at one or two and pick which one of those they like better instead of picking which one is better than ALL the others.

Anyways, i was thinking that instead of doing it with polls you could possibly set up a specific team whose job it is to review the winners for all the contests. You could get anywheres between 2 and 5 moderators to all be the "Official Contest Judges" (or something like that) and then they could either

A: vote amongst each other as to which map was best. whichever map gets the most votes from the mods wins and only mods from the "Official Contest Judges" team can vote.
B: You could have 1 or 2 guys on that Mod team and they go through the maps and rank them for the usual stuff (Terrain, Fun, Originality, Triggers and stuff like that). Each mod would rank ALL the maps on their own without talkign to the other mod and when each one was done ranking the maps theyd take their two scores, add them up (or find the average) and whichever map has the highest score wins.

Anyways i think a system like that would be much more fair. please consider it.

Level 24
Well i've already told Archian that forcing people use that way of voting shouldn't be a rule.

Anyway for a few of those things we could stop, eg creating multiple accounts and voting for yourself. But I think if we do have a system like this then no matter what the result of the pole is, the final descission comes down to the judges, just using the poll as a sought of guide.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Ofcause, we're always open to new ideas, and we'll take your suggestion into consideration.
Know that we're still "working" on "The Arena", so your suggestions aren't an unknown issue, ideas and suggestions of the same type has already been proposed.
However, not by the public yet, so we still havn't reached a final conclusion.

The "flaws" you speak about are something that we've already considered, i personally think that creating a new account just to vote for yourself is really immature.
Though i do not hope or think that someone would do that, and as bob27 said, i think we have a system against that.

About the jugdes, i can see the point, but let's meet in the middle, like bob27 said, first use a public vote, then the rest goes down to the choosen jugdes.

Status
Not open for further replies.