• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Contest ad in appropriate section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 49
Contest ad in proper section

As i see - with the icon contest there is just few parcipications with many active iconmakers in icon-section.
So, i guess some of them just do not know that there is some contest waits thier parcipication.

My example how we can solve this problem and use as much people, as possible is the next.

When we make a contest - we post an ad in the proper section and people who make, post or search stuff can easy see that there is interesting contest is up. Same for each step of contest with voting (MOAR VOTES!!!) and results.

And ofc i think that such ad should be always on top when event is up.

Level 30
Well, in my own opinion. Contest doesnt get much that view and only few joins because of the one you said, because user are not aware of it. But also, there is another reason. They are not interested. On what way, we all know the that users all-over Hive are busy doing other stuffs than joining contests. So I think, reason mosly goes that they are not aware or just too busy.

So I agree that in every contest, users will bo notified. Agreed!

As i see - with the icon contest there is just few parcipications with many active iconmakers in icon-section.
Many? Would you mind to elaborate?
As far as I experience this, we have about as many active 2d artists (who create quality freehand work) as back then, which I wouldn't classify as "many".
Of course everybody can enter contests - their skill level doesn't matter.
However, when you say "iconmakers", I have a very specific definition in mind.

So I agree that in every contest, users will bo notified.
You do realize we have notices?

When we make a contest - we post an ad in the proper section and people who make, post or search stuff can easy see that there is interesting contest is up. Same for each step of contest with voting (MOAR VOTES!!!) and results.
How exactly would that look like? A huge-ass header in the Icons Section that links people to the contests?

Back when I hosted Icon Contest #10, I prepared a list as of whom to write a PM about it. As far as I recall, I notified about 22 2d artists. Only about 40% of those I notified, actually showed any sort of reaction, and even fewer joined the contest.

Personally I chose not to join because the theme is just boring as heck and is very limited creativity-wise. I reckon others feel likewise. Hopefully the next contest will allow for some more artistic freedom.
I believe chr2 has a very good point here. You don't want attention whoring when the theme is one of the most important factors to attract people.
If the theme isn't attractive enough, fewer people will join. It's only logical.

Level 49
You do realize we have notices?
No one gives a fuck. :) They are too undefined. People DO NOT LOOK at notices, if they dont have too look at it.

How exactly would that look like? A huge-ass header in the Icons Section that links people to the contests?
Just same size as usual item in the section (size of icon-post block or model\texture-post block with contest ad)
For example look at attachments

Back when I hosted Icon Contest #10, I prepared a list as of whom to write a PM about it. As far as I recall, I notified about 22 2d artists. Only about 40% of those I notified, actually showed any sort of reaction, and even fewer joined the contest.

It was 8 or 10 entries, so, it is not bad overall. And in any way, if we have so active ad in a section - we will see more entries i think.

Attachments

• ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 167

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
It does sound quite interesting. But it would be possible for all sections.

The number of contestants would not be easy to automate. The amount of people posting on the contest thread is not necessarily the amount of contestants. Requiring the moderator to keep the number up to date would be tiresome. Should there only be allowed for a single banner? What if we have two icon contests going? It would be more flexible to permit unlimited banners. Of course there would always only be MAX 2-3 at once. It's just that technically making a single thing or making multiple things are very different.

It wouldn't have to be this complex (number of contestants? not necessary).
A simple banner for each section, paired with a link to the contest thread, would be more than enough.
The mod(s) would only have to update the links whenever a new contest is ongoing.

What if we have two icon contests going?
We never have two contests of the same type running simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.