• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Changes that NEED to be made to the arena

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of these contests are ending badly, either in supposed cheating, fake votes and generally weird ego wars.

So here are some suggestions that frankly should be instigated right away.

Suggestions
- You need 10 posts and/or having been around for more than two weeks or so. Numbers subject to change, but this is crucial in stopping friend votes and multiaccounting.

- The host can participate as well. There is no reason he should not be able to. And besides, the site is hosting the contest, not the user.

- Any known art thief should be officially banned from competitions for either a permanent amount of time or a very long time. This is extremely important.

- An extension should always happen if there are less than 5 entries and the extension should be a set number of weeks. This is for consistency and for stopping arguments or hesitation.

- I suggest hiring a complete arena mod/contest mod, who will host every contest and post news on the front page about the new competitions. Bringing back the contests news post would be very useful in having more entries. He/she could also be the one to find whether someone is an art thief or not.

- Rethink your themes. Don't be afraid to make a list of themes to use and keeping them for future contests.

Honestly, every one of those changes need to be done if you want to stop shitstorms in the arena and make everything work smoothly. Contests are the most interesting way to get more ressources or find new talent. Art theft, arguments and fake voting is everywhere.

Level 40
- You need 10 posts and/or having been around for more than two weeks or so. Numbers subject to change, but this is crucial in stopping friend votes and multiaccounting.
Longer. Twice the duration of the contest and 50 posts, in my opinion.

- The host can participate as well. There is no reason he should not be able to. And besides, the site is hosting the contest, not the user.
Depends if it is judged.

- Any known art thief should be officially banned from competitions for either a permanent amount of time or a very long time. This is extremely important.
Only art?

- An extension should always happen if there are less than 5 entries and the extension should be a set number of weeks. This is for consistency and for stopping arguments or hesitation.
Indeed.

- I suggest hiring a complete arena mod/contest mod, who will host every contest and post news on the front page about the new competitions. Bringing back the contests news post would be very useful in having more entries. He/she could also be the one to find whether someone is an art thief or not.
I think that's what Gilles is.

- Rethink your themes. Don't be afraid to make a list of themes to use and keeping them for future contests.
Don't they do that already?

Depends if it is judged.
Most hosts are not judges.... actually I think they never are.

I think that's what Gilles is.
He can't make news posts, and I'm not sure how much control he has over it. Nevertheless, his activity in that section doesn't seem all that much at first glance. But this is not about Gilles.

Don't they do that already?
Not enough.

Level 26
I prefer WC3C's vote system. Which was itself a voting system with a really long name, yet seemed nice. Wherein voters had a list of entrants in order of preference, and had to explain everything and so forth. Seems better than private public polls and invisible judges ._.

Level 27
You need 10 posts and/or having been around for more than two weeks or so. Numbers subject to change, but this is crucial in stopping friend votes and multiaccounting.
I think restricting the voting to people who signed up before the competition is enough for multiaccount votes, but I don't see how this stops friend votes.
Any known art thief should be officially banned from competitions for either a permanent amount of time or a very long time.
I think a better idea is that if you are caught cheating in a competition, you are banned. Period. Otherwise, as long as they aren't cheating in the competition, who cares?
I suggest hiring a complete arena mod/contest mod, who will host every contest and post news on the front page about the new competitions.
I am in complete and total agreement here.
I want to add that it should be a requirement that all polls be made public. There is no reason why it shouldn't be.
I was actually going to suggest complete anonymity in the voting. This goes for entrants and voters.

Status
Not open for further replies.