• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing contest idea

Vote for your favourite theme.

• 2 Opposite Skins

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • 2 Related Skins

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
I had an idea about a skinning contest where instead of getting a theme and choosing a model to skin after it, we get a model and try to make whatever we want with that model.

For example, one of my favorites (and a really good one to work with), the Faceless One.

And then people could make a skin for any theme based off that model, like a Lava Spawn or a Mutant Warrior etc.

Thoughts?

Level 14
I personally dislike the one model texturing contests. I think it is too limiting. I always liked it when people had a cool idea for the theme and did something crazy with a model they picked out. You wouldn't be able to do that to the same extent if it were a one model contest.

What I would really like to see for a contest is a twin skin contest. Where you skin two models to fit together. Like a hero and a summoned unit or something.

Level 34
I think I got the point, something like: Mountain Giant uses texture ''textures\MountainGiant.blp'' and so is Pandaren Earth model, (for his weapon) and then we make one skin to fit for two models... right? But if one of those models doesn't include the whole texture, just a part for something, (Pandaren Earth) then make 2 skins... ?

Level 34
No, morphing units! Skin the alternate and regular form of a unit.

(Yes, ike has been proposing this for liek over 9000 contests nao)
lol! Well, that could also be cool. But does it have to be units that have morphing animations (Druid of the Talon, Druid of the Claw, Illidan, Demonhunter) or it can be anything, you just need to match it right?

Level 26
lol! Well, that could also be cool. But does it have to be units that have morphing animations (Druid of the Talon, Druid of the Claw, Illidan, Demonhunter) or it can be anything, you just need to match it right?

It can be anything, just make them look like alternate forms of each other. Just keep some aspects of the skins the same e.g clothing, wounds, runes.

Level 14
Yes but with a specific theme like what we have had going so far for the competitions. I dont think just linking two skins together is good enough. I think you should link them together in a specific theme.

We have had a number of themes allready and coming up with new ideas unrelated to the others is difficult. I will throw one out there: nature. I am not all too interested in that idea but I believe we haven't done that theme yet.

Level 12
Do something which will be useful for people who make maps. I didn't like arcane theme, 'cause there were already too much arcanish skins on the hive :p
A I said before many of mapmakers want to have some skins of famous characters from media, comics etc... But some of you have already said that it won't be creative bla bla. Your creativity will be in choosing right model for that character and your skills in making it. :p

Level 34
Do something which will be useful for people who make maps. I didn't like arcane theme, 'cause there were already too much arcanish skins on the hive :p
A I said before many of mapmakers want to have some skins of famous characters from media, comics etc... But some of you have already said that it won't be creative bla bla. Your creativity will be in choosing right model for that character and your skills in making it. :p
Nahh, I don't think it would be good... I don't like those skins that are for some hero character from movie, comic or else...

Two skins with relating styles. Would be great... :D

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Was he talking about a Jekyll and Hyde sort of thing?

more like Jekyll and Hyde at the same time

Things like...

A skeletal Paladin, still clinging to the remnants of his holy life, even as the
flesh has long since fallen from his bones.

A beastial monster, all gnashing fangs and claws and twisted metal, but with
calm and serene eyes.

For a more recent example, look at Dio's Assassin skin in the latest Texturing
contest - she's a beautiful, but evil woman who was horribly scarred by one
of her own spells. It's that contrast between beautiful and horrifying.

Just my two cents

Level 14
Common representations of Jekyll and Hyde are of them being one at the same time. I quite like that idea although it might be a little to vague as is. Needs a dominant theme to go along like angel/demon or monk/ninja! :D

Attachments

• J&H.jpg
    J&H.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 96
Level 14
I think the idea is more centered around a character with a contradictary nature. More like if the Pandaren Brewmaster were an avid pacifist and a brutal warrior. But the texture artist would have to show the contradiction and not simply say that this is this as well as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.