• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Why don't we use a custom model for texturing competitions? For example, have a model made specifically for the texturing competition, and then have people texture it into whatever they like. That'd be not only more fun, but as well give texturers a better chance at showing what they can do, considering the UV Maps they'd be working with would not be absolute bullocks =P

Level 14
Because it defeats the entire purpose of a WC3 modding competition. This is not GameArtisans or some site like that, this is the Hive, a warcraft III modding website. For that, we retexture WC3 models.
SuPa- said:
That'd be not only more fun, but as well give texturers a better chance at showing what they can do, considering the UV Maps they'd be working with would not be absolute bullocks =P
Half of the skill in being a good WC3 texture artist is being able to work with the wraps. If you don't care for the poor unwraps on Blizzard models, host a concept art contest instead.

Level 14
The style contest is akin to those we host at WC3C. We give users full reign over what they want to create thematically, but we tell them "You must use X model." Back when artists actually did stuff at the site, these contests were the most successful around.

Putting this in perspective, the good idea is then to give people a single in-game model and let them do what they want with the texture. This all has nothing to do with having a custom model to texture, which I find an absurd point for a WC3 modding site. Let's retexture WC3 models on a WC3 modding site, does that not make perfect sense?

Level 14
Sabertooth said:
We had a steam-punk art contest.
Rising_Dusk said:
If you don't care for the poor unwraps on Blizzard models, host a concept art contest instead.

Hawkwing said:
Not everything it this site is Warcraft III in the first place. Just the majority. ;P
So long as the front page of this website calls it a WC3 modding site, I'm going to press to keeping contests like this related to WC3 in some form.

Level 21
How's it not related to WC3?
I've seen multiple textures in the texture section that were done for custom models

Furthermore, you're not a texture artist, and from what I can see, three that are generally active in competitions (or hosting them) support the idea
Then again, having some sort of concept art/texturing competition would be cool

Last edited:
Level 14
SuPa- said:
I've seen multiple textures in the texture section that were done for custom models
That's unrelated to contest material. As a fundamental design for contests, you want everyone to have a logical baseline from which to judge entries. Having a custom model with users making textures for it takes away such baseline by injecting a non-standardized model to the mix. This from an administration point of view makes the judging biased.

Additionally, it's clearly more related (Notice how it's relative) to WC3 if we use WC3 models for the contest, as opposed to a custom model with custom textures and so forth. Not to mention, half of the skill of a WC3 texture contest artist lies in handling wraps effectively, showing a strong work flow. If you remove that, it may as well just be a concept art contest pasted onto a custom model. That's why I suggested such a concept art contest as opposed to a silly custom model texture contest; it would make far more sense.

SuPa- said:
Furthermore, you're not a texture artist, and from what I can see, three that are generally active in competitions (or hosting them) support the idea
What I am or am not has no bearing on objective analysis of a given topic. Your point regarding entrants is never a concern; no matter what contest is made there will be contestants. That fact doesn't impact the sensibility nor the value of the contest in any way, shape, or form, though.

Level 21
That's unrelated to contest material. As a fundamental design for contests, you want everyone to have a logical baseline from which to judge entries. Having a custom model with users making textures for it takes away such baseline by injecting a non-standardized model to the mix. This from an administration point of view makes the judging biased.
No, it's pretty much related to contest material, considering we've had a texturing competition here before where we textured Whitehorn's model...
How the does it make people bias? You're picking at invisible straws... As for a baseline, that totally made sense xD

Additionally, it's clearly more related (Notice how it's relative) to WC3 if we use WC3 models for the contest, as opposed to a custom model with custom textures and so forth. Not to mention, half of the skill of a WC3 texture contest artist lies in handling wraps effectively, showing a strong work flow. If you remove that, it may as well just be a concept art contest pasted onto a custom model. That's why I suggested such a concept art contest as opposed to a silly custom model texture contest; it would make far more sense.
Silly? So now you're trying to degrade my idea by insulting it? Mature. As for handling a bad UV Map, that's just a pain in the arse. It's not as much as skill as it is "timewaster" and "annoying"

What I am or am not has no bearing on objective analysis of a given topic. Your point regarding entrants is never a concern; no matter what contest is made there will be contestants. That fact doesn't impact the sensibility nor the value of the contest in any way, shape, or form, though.
No, as the texturers are the actually contestants, so their opinion is more important than yours when it comes to how the contest is done

Level 24
In my opinion, Dusk's point is valid. On the other hand, it is also a cool idea to do new textures for quality models as it allows for more "variety". Yes, the mpq contains lots of models, but i'd say contest variation is never something that can be categorized as bad.

Level 14
SuPa- said:
No, it's pretty much related to contest material, considering we've had a texturing competition here before where we textured Whitehorn's model...
How the does it make people bias? You're picking at invisible straws... As for a baseline, that totally made sense xD
Your point doesn't make sense. Of course it's related to contest material, but it's just not related sufficiently to WC3 and doesn't provide a contextual baseline upon which to run a contest fairly. If that doesn't make sense, then I apologize, but that's exactly what's going on.
SuPa- said:
Silly? So now you're trying to degrade my idea by insulting it? Mature. As for handling a bad UV Map, that's just a pain in the arse. It's not as much as skill as it is "timewaster" and "annoying"
You're free to insinuate and put up a straw man fallacy as you have, but please, don't put words in my mouth. Silly is about as tame a poke as can possibly be had on the internet and I don't appreciate you blowing it out of proportions in the hopes of discrediting me. Thanks.

Anyways, your statements about wraps are founded in opinion and aren't objective, so discussing them would do no good. My previous points stand.
SuPa- said:
No, as the texturers are the actually contestants, so their opinion is more important than yours when it comes to how the contest is done
I don't see how you can possibly say that their opinion is more valid or necessary than anyone else's. Their opinion matters when it comes to the specific theme, but the manner in which the contest is run (And thus the legitimacy of the contest) is entirely managerial in nature, thus everyone's opinion counts equally.

Level 21
How is it not being run fairly? A custom model doesn't show any bias if everyone's texturing it
And I'll blow things out of proportion as much as I want, it's only matching your self-importance xD

And how is their opinion NOT more valid than yours? You're not involved in this topic whatsoever, you're just sticking your head in places it doesn't belong =P

That's unrelated to contest material.
Of course it's related to contest material

Yes, of course

Level 14
SuPa- said:
And I'll blow things out of proportion as much as I want, it's only matching your self-importance xD
I don't appreciate your persistent insinuations, SuPa. You're not even trying to argue the point anymore, you're just arguing against me. That's against the rules.
SuPa- said:
And how is their opinion NOT more valid than yours? You're not involved in this topic whatsoever, you're just sticking your head in places it doesn't belong =P
If this topic is posted in a place that I can post, I can be involved in it. That it's in the site discussion section of the website says particularly that I will be involved in it.
SuPa- said:
Yes, of course
..You made two entirely separate points on totally different aspects of the discussion and are now trying to link them together in ways so as to discredit my opinion. Stop attacking me and attack my arguments (if anything at all), SuPa, or this won't end favorably.

Anyways, since you refuse to argue with me legitimately, I won't dignify you with further responses. Please, in the future, for the sake of your points, argue properly. End of story, have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.