1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Texturing Competitions

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by SuPa-, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Why don't we use a custom model for texturing competitions? For example, have a model made specifically for the texturing competition, and then have people texture it into whatever they like. That'd be not only more fun, but as well give texturers a better chance at showing what they can do, considering the UV Maps they'd be working with would not be absolute bullocks =P

2. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think we should, definitely. But I don't have control over the theme.

Edit: Well I do. But I'll let others have their opinions.

3. Kaitech[SanD]

Kaitech[SanD]

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I agree.

4. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    100% with you... and what could be really awsome is that we reskin the futur winner of the modeling competition :D that would be awsome... but it NEEDS to have No ingame texture..

5. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Because it defeats the entire purpose of a WC3 modding competition. This is not GameArtisans or some site like that, this is the Hive, a warcraft III modding website. For that, we retexture WC3 models.
    Half of the skill in being a good WC3 texture artist is being able to work with the wraps. If you don't care for the poor unwraps on Blizzard models, host a concept art contest instead.

6. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We have had one before, and the results were great.

7. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    The style contest is akin to those we host at WC3C. We give users full reign over what they want to create thematically, but we tell them "You must use X model." Back when artists actually did stuff at the site, these contests were the most successful around.

Putting this in perspective, the good idea is then to give people a single in-game model and let them do what they want with the texture. This all has nothing to do with having a custom model to texture, which I find an absurd point for a WC3 modding site. Let's retexture WC3 models on a WC3 modding site, does that not make perfect sense?

8. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We have custom models at this site, y'know
    And as Hawkwing said, we have had such texturing competitions before (well, once)

9. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not everything it this site is Warcraft III in the first place. Just the majority. ;P

10. LiOneSS

LiOneSS

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Meh... for the first time, I have to agree with Dusk, why do a custom model on this site. I mean hell, the mpq is loaded with them. we had 11 competitions without a problem, why is it so bad now?

11. Sabertooth

Sabertooth

Resources:
    Resources:
    On the topic of "Then it's not a wc3 modding contest" -- We had a steam-punk art contest. I say give this idea a go and see how it works.

12. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:

So long as the front page of this website calls it a WC3 modding site, I'm going to press to keeping contests like this related to WC3 in some form.

13. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How's it not related to WC3?
    I've seen multiple textures in the texture section that were done for custom models

Furthermore, you're not a texture artist, and from what I can see, three that are generally active in competitions (or hosting them) support the idea
    Then again, having some sort of concept art/texturing competition would be cool

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  14. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's unrelated to contest material. As a fundamental design for contests, you want everyone to have a logical baseline from which to judge entries. Having a custom model with users making textures for it takes away such baseline by injecting a non-standardized model to the mix. This from an administration point of view makes the judging biased.

Additionally, it's clearly more related (Notice how it's relative) to WC3 if we use WC3 models for the contest, as opposed to a custom model with custom textures and so forth. Not to mention, half of the skill of a WC3 texture contest artist lies in handling wraps effectively, showing a strong work flow. If you remove that, it may as well just be a concept art contest pasted onto a custom model. That's why I suggested such a concept art contest as opposed to a silly custom model texture contest; it would make far more sense.

What I am or am not has no bearing on objective analysis of a given topic. Your point regarding entrants is never a concern; no matter what contest is made there will be contestants. That fact doesn't impact the sensibility nor the value of the contest in any way, shape, or form, though.

15. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No, it's pretty much related to contest material, considering we've had a texturing competition here before where we textured Whitehorn's model...
    How the does it make people bias? You're picking at invisible straws... As for a baseline, that totally made sense xD

Silly? So now you're trying to degrade my idea by insulting it? Mature. As for handling a bad UV Map, that's just a pain in the arse. It's not as much as skill as it is "timewaster" and "annoying"

No, as the texturers are the actually contestants, so their opinion is more important than yours when it comes to how the contest is done

16. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In my opinion, Dusk's point is valid. On the other hand, it is also a cool idea to do new textures for quality models as it allows for more "variety". Yes, the mpq contains lots of models, but i'd say contest variation is never something that can be categorized as bad.

17. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Your point doesn't make sense. Of course it's related to contest material, but it's just not related sufficiently to WC3 and doesn't provide a contextual baseline upon which to run a contest fairly. If that doesn't make sense, then I apologize, but that's exactly what's going on.
    You're free to insinuate and put up a straw man fallacy as you have, but please, don't put words in my mouth. Silly is about as tame a poke as can possibly be had on the internet and I don't appreciate you blowing it out of proportions in the hopes of discrediting me. Thanks.

Anyways, your statements about wraps are founded in opinion and aren't objective, so discussing them would do no good. My previous points stand.
    I don't see how you can possibly say that their opinion is more valid or necessary than anyone else's. Their opinion matters when it comes to the specific theme, but the manner in which the contest is run (And thus the legitimacy of the contest) is entirely managerial in nature, thus everyone's opinion counts equally.

18. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How is it not being run fairly? A custom model doesn't show any bias if everyone's texturing it
    And I'll blow things out of proportion as much as I want, it's only matching your self-importance xD

And how is their opinion NOT more valid than yours? You're not involved in this topic whatsoever, you're just sticking your head in places it doesn't belong =P

Yes, of course

19. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't appreciate your persistent insinuations, SuPa. You're not even trying to argue the point anymore, you're just arguing against me. That's against the rules.
    If this topic is posted in a place that I can post, I can be involved in it. That it's in the site discussion section of the website says particularly that I will be involved in it.
    ..You made two entirely separate points on totally different aspects of the discussion and are now trying to link them together in ways so as to discredit my opinion. Stop attacking me and attack my arguments (if anything at all), SuPa, or this won't end favorably.

Anyways, since you refuse to argue with me legitimately, I won't dignify you with further responses. Please, in the future, for the sake of your points, argue properly. End of story, have a nice day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.