• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Terraining in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So, what do you guys do when you terrain? Do you throw something together, then go back for details? Do you do section at a time with a lot of detail in each one? I'm just wondering, as I am just starting to use the map editor a little bit, those are a couple of the things that I do. What about you?

Level 32
Good terrain is BRUTALLY tough to create (in my opinion). It seems to take forever and I'm rarely satisfied with the results. It's definitely best to have a plan in mind, and maybe sketch things out on paper a bit and make notes before beginning.

Initial water level is an important consideration: that's going to effect the entire map and could cause a lot of complications if you want to change things late on.

Cliff use vs. raise/lower height is also important: MiscData.txt is a handy file to have.

There are sure to be plenty of responses in this thread as the best terrain editors weigh in.

[self="http://hiveworkshop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=360"][off-topic] gloryindeath: please introduce yourself to the Hive![/self]

Level 22
Terraining is the funnest part of map making in my opinion. I dont even start on my first trigger till terrain is 100% complete, since setting up triggers often revolves around the terrain being complete, anyway. That way if my map idea doesnt work due to triggering limitations, I have the terrain ready to be recycled and for another map idea. Plus, It doesnt involve constant playtesting and tedious link clicking like triggerwork does.

I first do the overall layout of the map, or the "shape" so to speak. It really helps you figure out what you want to do with the rest because you then know exaclty how much space you have to work with and where. From that point on I start terraining it piece by piece, or I may jump around if I get bored in one section. Some doodads, like trees, really should be done across the map first since they are more limited in number and determine how many other doodads will be needed to go along with them (I'm one of those who always has rocks and grass around trees). And yes, if you ever plan to hace smooth shores along side water, you really do need to start with an all water map and raise the terrain from it.
-VGsatomi

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.