• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(Terraining Help) What is the keyboard shortcut to align these doodads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I have a hard time putting equal measures on these doodads or making them symmetrically aligned that it takes so much time. Do you guys know what is the shortcut key to move these parapets sideways or left and right. Aside from "Y" that moves the doodads up.

I wanted to move the parapets to be symmetrical with a key I cannot be sure what is. Here is the screenie, thanks bros! :)

kaptur-jpg.281856

Level 36
To make angled doodads like that align, there are some techniques you can use:

- Double-click the doodad you want it to align with, copy it's rotation, and paste it onto the other doodad. Then use the / or * on your Num Pad to rotate it and align it.
- Simply click the doodad, hold down CTRL and left-click anywhere on the map, move the cursor around to make the doodad rotate with the cursor. (Like a pro).

For the first point, if you don't have a Num Pad, go to file > configure control, scroll down the
Terrain Editor tab until you find "Selection - Rotate Left" and "Selection - Rotate Right", then map
these to whatever keys you feel comfortable with.

Also, be careful with the terrain brush around areas where you want several doodads to alight, for some
wonky reason if you have too steep terrain underneath a doodad, it will sort of auto-lock into various
rotations, and completely resent certain rotations. It will never align properly in this situation, and the
only way to fix it is to flatten or smooth the terrain under the doodad.

Last edited:
Level 6
To make angled doodads like that align, there are some techniques you can use:

- Double-click the doodad you want it to align with, copy it's rotation, and paste it onto the other doodad. Then use the / or * on your Num Pad to rotate it and align it.
- Simply click the doodad, hold down CTRL and left-click anywhere on the map, move the cursor around to make the doodad rotate with the cursor. (Like a pro).

For the first point, if you don't have a Num Pad, go to file > configure control, scroll down the
Terrain Editor tab until you find "Selection - Rotate Left" and "Selection - Rotate Right", then map
these to whatever keys you feel comfortable with.

Also, be careful with the terrain brush around areas where you want several doodads to alight, for some
wonky reason if you have too steep terrain underneath a doodad, it will sort of auto-lock into various
rotations, and completely resent certain rotations. It will never align properly in this situation, and the
only way to fix it is to flatten or smooth the terrain under the doodad.
Oh, thank you so much. Now I am able to align things here easily with the numpads :) Works like a charm.
And thanks for the tips and hints on the steep lands, I would be taking that as key hints when I put objects on flat lands. But on the steep ones, hmm..., I think it has something to do with pitch rolls that I don't fully understand how to use and doesn't seem to work even I change the angle roll values :)

Level 36
If you want to angle doodads horizontally, you need to hold down SHIFT while double clicking either the roll or pitch angle lines,
doing this allows you to give the lines negative values, which is what you need. -1.57 is horizontal and -3.15 (roughly) is vertical.

And then, obviously, other values give other angles, you'll just have to experiment if you want something else ^^

Level 6
If you want to angle doodads horizontally, you need to hold down SHIFT while double clicking either the roll or pitch angle lines,
doing this allows you to give the lines negative values, which is what you need. -1.57 is horizontal and -3.15 (roughly) is vertical.

And then, obviously, other values give other angles, you'll just have to experiment if you want something else ^^
Lemee try it at home :) Thank you :) I'll try that on that pillar doodad I wanted to lie rather than stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.