• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #21 themes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Caves.

worlds-largest-cave-hang-son-doong-vietnam-8.jpg

ru.jpg

spelunk1.jpg

Good timing, I actually do have ideas for the next terraining contest (I've been thinking about this recently), these are quite unique actually. First of all I'm losing interest with giving themes, it limits the users with their creativity (maybe someone is great making castles but the theme is about making forests), so maybe we can change how we actually produce a terrain (This is just my suggestion).
Second, we are losing alot of great terrainers (erm, Flad and K to name a few) lately, maybe it's time we share the knowledge together through terraining contests because people do not benefit very much in Terraining contests unlike in other contests, Modelling and Texturing contests for example, when the contestants submit a model or a skin in to those contests any people can use their entry for their map, in Terraning contests we only post screenshots then that's it (maybe they can use it in Loading Screens but I doubt someone even did that). People may disagree with me, but this is my suggestions and opinions, please don't take this too seriously .

These are my ideas.

• Pixel Art Terraining - The terrainers have to make an art using a single doodad (the cityscape block column) and it will be used as a pixel, the more pixels the better quality you can make. This is great for both new and pro terrainers. The challenge here is that the more pixels you have the better the image you can produce but it gets harder. An empty terraining map with a pre-placed block at the map will be provided here.

Example:
Imagine something like this but in a flat surface, this example is made by one of the best terrainer I know that ever existed in the Warcraft III community and my inspiration, Lexandritte.

(This view is not the best of his works, but read more below to see more of his works)

wc3scrnshot_072619_042141_01-png.328720

---

64 Square Terraining - A contestant has to create a 64x64 map (just like the terraining challenges/duels in XGM, I really love it), has to be playable ofcourse. The rules: A. The map must have proper pathing (this includes pathing blockers, and invisible platforms if necessary); B. It must not be protected and can be explored; C. It has to be uploaded at the template section of the Hive.

I used to make one of these (shameless advertising lol), an Ashenvale map, and it is really a fun to build (although it took me alot of time). The final output can be useful for those users who want a pre-built terrain for arena type maps, and for the new terrainers who want to learn more about terraining (by exploring the map itself not just by staring at the screenshot).

Example:
Again, made by my favorite terrainer, Lexandritte.

wc3scrnshot_072619_043456_02-png.328724

wc3scrnshot_072619_043927_03-png.328725

This one is made by MagicAlan.

wc3scrnshot_072619_043950_04-png.328726

Made by _Absolute

wc3scrnshot_072619_045000_07-png.328728

The famous Refuge in Ruins map, you already know who made this, and yes it is 64x64 map!

wc3scrnshot_072619_045608_01-png.328731

---

Duo Terraining - Two contestants have to team up together and make a terrain, this can be playable or scenic terrain. The community is losing alot of great terrainers (like I said at the beginning), maybe this concept can help the new terrainers by teaming up with pro terrainers, or pro terrainer team up with another pro terrainer (Having a new terrainer and another new terrainer in one team should not be a disadvantage since there are two people working in a team). This is also applicable for those contestants who are busy in real life, they can just simply send it to their teammates who are not busy. Also, in this compeition only one team can win here, and only two people can have an award.

Example:
Made by fladdermasken and Keiji - The Makeshift

full

---

No Imports - The title, that's already it. Better if we make a playable terrain with this rather than scenic terrain.

Example:
Also made by legendary terrainer, _oGre.

wc3scrnshot_072619_044556_05-png.328727

Made by AnaDemetr.

wc3scrnshot_072619_045041_08-png.328729

These are some of the few terrains/maps that I actually adore.

I have alot more suggestions in mind but the ideas that I wrote above are the top ideas that I really want to have in the future terraining contests.

Edit: The other ideas I have (if you guys are curious) - I will not be providing examples here.

• Promotional Terraining - Contestant has to make a terrain that promotes something (maybe their map, their models, or the Hive).

Timeless Terraining - (This idea is more of a mini-contest rather than a big contest but I'll just leave it here). One of the ideas that I really want to see in the future (but I did not include because again, not for big contests) There will be a empty map that will be provided at the start, then people has to add something to it and it will grow bigger and bigger over time. New and Pro terrainers are both welcome. With imports or no imports are also welcome. Imagine an every member of the community of Hive contributing to make an awesome terrain.

• No Custom Textures Terrain - This is like a subcategory of no imports, but only restricts the use of custom textures when custom models are used. This is boring IMO which is why I left it here at the bottom, but maybe you guys will like it.

• Scenic Terrain - The traditional one, if you guys disagree to all of what I've said here lol.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_072619_042141_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_072619_042141_01.png
    1 MB · Views: 508
  • WC3ScrnShot_072619_043456_02.png
    WC3ScrnShot_072619_043456_02.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 411
  • WC3ScrnShot_072619_043927_03.png
    WC3ScrnShot_072619_043927_03.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 523
  • WC3ScrnShot_072619_043950_04.png
    WC3ScrnShot_072619_043950_04.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 401
  • WC3ScrnShot_072619_044556_05.png
    WC3ScrnShot_072619_044556_05.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 478
  • WC3ScrnShot_072619_045000_07.png
    WC3ScrnShot_072619_045000_07.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 421
  • WC3ScrnShot_072619_045041_08.png
    WC3ScrnShot_072619_045041_08.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 479
  • WC3ScrnShot_072619_045608_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_072619_045608_01.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Level 5
• Timeless Terraining - (This idea is more of a mini-contest rather than a big contest but I'll just leave it here). One of the ideas that I really want to see in the future (but I did not include because again, not for big contests) There will be a empty map that will be provided at the start, then people has to add something to it and it will grow bigger and bigger over time. New and Pro terrainers are both welcome. Imports or no imports are also welcome. Imagine an every member of the community of Hive contributing to make an awesome terrain.
Like "World Creators"?
Творцы Миров (Игра для ландшафтеров) - WarCraft 3 / Модмейкинг - XGM: eXtreme Gamedev & Modmaking

I think that it is possible to develop the theme of the Stone Age and make something like the “Ancient Earth”, because this topic is much broader in terms of ideas.

Level 10
---

64 Square Terraining - A contestant has to create a 64x64 map (just like the terraining challenges/duels in XGM, I really love it), has to be playable ofcourse. The rules: A. The map must have proper pathing (this includes pathing blockers, and invisible platforms if necessary); B. It must not be protected and can be explored; C. It has to be uploaded at the template section of the Hive.

I used to make one of these (shameless advertising lol), an Ashenvale map, and it is really a fun to build (although it took me alot of time). The final output can be useful for those users who want a pre-built terrain for arena type maps, and for the new terrainers who want to learn more about terraining (by exploring the map itself not just by staring at the screenshot).

This one is pretty nice.

Also a Noir theme might be cool.

Well we already have about 18+ contests for scenic terrains while we only have 1 contest for playable terrains, we shouldn't limit ourselves to scenic terrains only, besides the last playable terraining was two years ago as far as I remember.

Hey people, this contest will be a scenic one. The next, the 22nd will be playable.

Thank you for ideas btw.

If we still do scenic terrain then I guess we should go do something "Cyberpunk". There are alot of movies and video games released and announced recently that adapts this theme. We already had Steampunk but no Cyberpunk yet.

I have no guarantees that I'll be joining but I will really love to see entries that portrays futuristic scenes.

Last edited:
If we still do scenic terrain then I guess we should go do something "Cyberpunk". There are alot of movies and video games released and announced recently that adapts this theme. We already had Steampunk but no Cyberpunk yet.

I have no guarantees that I'll be joining but I will really love to see entries that portrays futuristic scenes.

We already had a playable terraining contest not long ago: Terraining Contest #18[Playable] - Desert

As previously stated, the 22nd will be a playable terraining contest. Until then, we will have the regular scenic one.

Also, lovely suggestion. :]

Level 19
I'll start with Stone Age: Flintstones comes to mind :]

Also a Noir theme might be cool.

I love these 3 ideas tbh! I'd love to create a scenic terrain for any of these!

Level 10
He uses the semi transparent bridge as a window/glass; he flipped it sideways, made it super thin and that's it.

The rest of the stuffs are just cityscape stone walls with different sizes, some are stretched, some tinted etc.

I bet it is from some Russian from XGM. Those guys are crazy with city scape no import doodads.

Status
Not open for further replies.