• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Triggering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
So I got all my ideas set and prepared for a Maze Designer map like one back in WC3 and then when I go to triggers I can't find a way to change terrain on the map via trigger... In WC3 the trigger is simple and easily found. I could find no equivalent. Am I being stupid or does it not exist?

And a simple side question: Is it possible to create blizzard cliffs (not custom cliffs using the raise tool) above the default 2 cliff height limit in a manner similar to WC3?

More specifics to the questions in a later post here.

Last edited:
Level 9
first to the cliff levels, you can do them manually using the terrain editor in combination with the pathing tool, it's lots more work but it actually works out.

changing terrain is done by effects, check out the terrain deformer section. not as easy as in wc3 but it is there.

Level 12
How can you do them manually? Is there a way to paint the "cliff" pathing? (The one that you can't walk over, but can jump over)

Terrain deformation is not an effect, it is an actor, it can only change terrain height, and only graphically (if you test the area with Get Terrain Height, it will return the original value)

Level 7
You also can't copy the footprints field, when you paste it, it will just reset to its default parent value. Which was cumbersome and annoying to me when I was trying to create bridges.

Level 1
I'm talking terrain texture change by use of triggers, not deformations, sorry.

And I mean cliffs with the cliff tool above the "default" height of 2, so that I could have cliffs with faces perpendicular to the ground, not slanted, so that projectiles could bounce back in a z-axis parallel fashion, for what I have in mind. Would that be possible with triggering, pathing, doodads, and invisible platforms lol?

Level 1
BUMP! The cliff question is critically important, if editing was ever critically important. If it is not possible to more professional knowledge then please at least notify me so that I am not completely lost.

Level 9
as i posted above, you can create cliffs that look like cliffs and act like cliffs except reapers or coloss walking up and down.

just set the height on cliff level 2 to level + height between 1 and 2 and use the terrain editor to make it flat. then make the cliff region unpathable by the use of the pathing editor and you are done.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The problem with the footprints is the editor does not load what has already been done so you start from scratch each time.

It is possible to copy them though unlike what the person reported. You just have to turn on raw data view and copy the raw data value for its nod information to the target footprint field in another piece of data.

You are limited to 4 cliff levels. Chasim (unwalkable), normal (ground level), small (small cliff) and large (large cliff).

Terrain texture can be altered by putting a decall over the current terrain (like a ubersplat in WC3).

Before I even had the SCII beta I had a map planned that involved modifying terrain for agriculture n' what not ingame, also just for generating a terrain at the start... I can't do it though D:

Anyone know if there's some way I can get around this? I am fine with having completely flat terrain if I could make units or actors or something be my terrain tiles. o_O? It would be more preferable if I could have some sloping but if that's not plausible then oh well.

I know WindexGlow made terrain in Warcraft III out of thousands of destructibles he spawned where the model was basically a flat plane and it had textures where the alpha mapping was done so it fades off near the edges forming a circular uhhh textured area... and the result looked rather nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.