• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Test - Melee Map Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
So..... I'm New to this whole "map making" thing, and I was wondering if this map has good terraining. This is just a terrain test and I'm uploading it to see what you guys think. Tell me what you think exactly what and what could use improving and some tips if you want. I'll look at every reply.

Attachments

• Terrain Test 1.w3m
    43.5 KB · Views: 41
Not really a good one, but you're new and will learn. You are using rolling shores instead of the blizzard cliffs so that's a good starting point. I suggest you look at different terrain guides on the terraining board and look at the terrain in different maps.

I am attaching an edited version of your map to show an alternative version so you can see how and what you can change to make it look better. This was made really quickly and might not be the best possible terrain, but it is something you can use as a baseline to learn more.

Attachments

• Terrain Test 2.w3x
    77.3 KB · Views: 49
Level 5
Not really a good one, but you're new and will learn. You are using rolling shores instead of the blizzard cliffs so that's a good starting point. I suggest you look at different terrain guides on the terraining board and look at the terrain in different maps.

I am attaching an edited version of your map to show an alternative version so you can see how and what you can change to make it look better. This was made really quickly and might not be the best possible terrain, but it is something you can use as a baseline to learn more.
Thanks. this really is better, and i will follow your advice. I would've replyed sooner but I forgot I logged Out

Level 5
I followed some advice and tryed to use what I learned from the first map, and I think this is better, but I'm not sure so tell me if this is better, and like the first post tell me exactly what you think.

Terrain_Test_2.png

Attachments

• Terrain Test 2.w3x
    76.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hello, first of all thank you for moving your map here in the Terrain Board.

As for your terrain, your foliage placement is definitely improving as what i see. The way you used tiles is great aswell. Now try to experiment abit with the raise and lows of terrain palette so your terrain will not look flat, add some hills here and there.

One thing that bothers me right now is the Lumpy Grass in the path, but i think that's temporary.

(Also please don't post two threads with the same topic/terrain, just reply to your old thread c: )

Level 5
Hello, first of all thank you for moving your map here in the Terrain Board.

As for your terrain, your foliage placement is definitely improving as what i see. The way you used tiles is great aswell. Now try to experiment abit with the raise and lows of terrain palette so your terrain will not look flat, add some hills here and there.

(Also please don't post two threads with the same topic, just reply to your old thread c:)
Ok. Thanks. I did try to add hills but I was making them too bumpy and it didd'nt look right, also there is hills but I guss there too low.

Level 5
I made this map called Ogre Forest. and it has bad terrain. So I thought, I sould make mele(sorry if i spelled it wrong) map terrain. What I'm trying to say is, I would like to know if this would be good for a normal mele(sorry if i spelled it wrong) map.

Terrain_Test_3.png Terrain_Test_3-1.png Terrain_Test_3-2.png Terrain_Test_4-3.png

Link to Ogre Forest
Ogre Forest

Attachments

• Terrain Test 3.w3m
    50.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
If you're trying to make a melee map then i think that's a good start, it's always important to think of the basic stuffs (mines, trees, creep camps, neutral shops like goblin hut, mercenary shop, neutral hero shop etc.). I suggest you should study symmetrical terraining because that is how they usually do melee maps. You should also try exploring the tutorials sections and find melee map tutorials, that may help you to develop your map. :)

Hit this
A Guideline to Terraining and the Hive's Terraining Section

Status
Not open for further replies.