• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Question - shadows weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Not sure hwo to even explain this

I started a new map, i made it land (didnt make it deep water or anything)

but then i realized it looks nicer with ponds and such when you can just sink the ground down low with the low/raise tool and i didnt want to restart what i had already so i just changed the entire map to deep water. so now i can raise to get those affects AND i can use the cliffs/ramps whenever i need. so i've done that. but now the shadows are messed up because of this LOL

im guessing there's no fix. it seems to be one or the other. do you want the low/raised affect to create cool terrain and smooth ponds/lakes or do you want to only have the option of the janky cliff/ramp look.

dont get me wrong like i have both options (even tho some weird stuff has been happening where you cant drop-1-layer down unless I spread water over the area then "lift it up 1 layer" THEN drop it down 1 the way i want...anyways..) but the shadows are messed up and this is why clearly.

it doesn't happen when i use the raise tool

video here:

P.S.
i just realized it's as if you can't drop the ground below sea level (the way i did with the increase1/decrease1 tool) so the shadows won't follow

any way i can get this to not be a problem while also being able to create these smooth ponds/rivers (like in the video @ 0:32 timestamp)

Level 6
@HandsOfficial your map height is too low. Increase it using blizzard cliffs with the "Increase tool" (either increase one or two). I don't remember if Raise/Lower solves this shit but blizzard cliffs definitely do. "Adjust Cliff levels also won't do nothing for you here. I had the same problem two weeks ago. I only hope your terrain is not too developed at this point because blizzard cliffs can lead to a rework of some details. Increase to the point where shadows are moved to underneath the feet of your units and then you will get the "bottom of your sea". Everything else should be at a higher point or the shadows will mess up again in the next hole (They mess up only in the areas that are bellow a certain "level". If your entire map is like this you need to use Increase in the entire thing).

Status
Not open for further replies.