• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain advice to the average noob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
This pic should about cover it all. Don't do any of this stuff.
(whoops, picture filesize too big. oh well, looks like I'll post the thread anyways and let you all rep me for my awesome terrain even though i didnt post it... lawl)

JUST KIDDING!
86fmsna.png

Note: Nothing in this picture or post is to be taken seriously ;)

Last edited:
Level 34
Slightly blown out of proportion for most beginners. Although I have seen that happen.

Most people just don't realize how awesome a terrain could look. They make something similar to Blizzard terrain and it turns out bad. Once people see good terrain they improve drastically. I know I did.

Level 9
Time to tell it like it is.

The bias against Blizzard cliffs is really annoying, they can be used, you just have to know what you're doing. Everytime someone new posts their terrain someone has to jump on the OMGBLIZZARD CLIFFS bandwagon and tell them to never use them again. Telling other people things like these is just going to create false prejudices, people won't use something in the future just because they've been told its "bad". Undoubtedly you should think for yourself but when people are new to terrain they make take your suggestions very seriously.

Secondly, calling people "noobs" is degrading and will only push people away. At least half of you who posted in here fall into this category while unaware that you are in it. Noobs have to learn sometime and creating threads like this or posting derogatory comments is not only mean but also hypocritical. I'm sure you've heard someone say "we were all noobs once", well unknownst to you, some of you still are.

Also, GamersINC tried to share some terrain, he's probally pretty young and new to how a message board works. Instead of acting like assholes and making fun of him maybe you should have tried to help him?

@HappyTauren, just stop. Learn to type. Back in the day, over-use of leetspeak was commonly attributed to angsty 11 year olds; it still is. Your constant state of hyperbolic modesty is really annoying. How you became to be a forum moderator is beyond me.

Really, I would expect more out of some people.

Level 24
Im not telling blizzard cliffs are bad generally only when it comes to terraining, in maps its actually better then raise hight cliffs due to the vision advantage and that you wont need pathing blockers + its simpler.
Blizzard cliffs are rarely good looking in terrains, but mixed togheter with raise hight cliffs they can look good.

Level 36
oowh mah god it ate up all my brendywidth 0.o
this fred r fool of shit but i liek it :grin:
-|- |23P

wha...? I don't speak HappyTauren ^_^

Time to tell it like it is.

The bias against Blizzard cliffs is really annoying, they can be used, you just have to know what you're doing. Everytime someone new posts their terrain someone has to jump on the OMGBLIZZARD CLIFFS bandwagon and tell them to never use them again. Telling other people things like these is just going to create false prejudices, people won't use something in the future just because they've been told its "bad". Undoubtedly you should think for yourself but when people are new to terrain they make take your suggestions very seriously.

Secondly, calling people "noobs" is degrading and will only push people away. At least half of you who posted in here fall into this category while unaware that you are in it. Noobs have to learn sometime and creating threads like this or posting derogatory comments is not only mean but also hypocritical. I'm sure you've heard someone say "we were all noobs once", well unknownst to you, some of you still are.

Also, GamersINC tried to share some terrain, he's probally pretty young and new to how a message board works. Instead of acting like assholes and making fun of him maybe you should have tried to help him?

@HappyTauren, just stop. Learn to type. Back in the day, over-use of leetspeak was commonly attributed to angsty 11 year olds; it still is. Your constant state of hyperbolic modesty is really annoying. How you became to be a forum moderator is beyond me.

Really, I would expect more out of some people.

Aww come on, I was just having some fun. I don't hate noobs at all, I know it was a bit exaggerated and I don't expect anyone to take this thread seriously. Anyone.

Edit: Lol, Oziris, you said jocking again xD

Status
Not open for further replies.