• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Tempest ORPG - Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Juliano presents

full

=======

I created this thread to debate and discuss the upcoming features of Tempest ORPG, a map that has recently been submitted here in the Hive.

You can download it here: Tempest ORPG v0.15beta
Join the discord here: Tempest ORPG Discord

=======

Tempest is an expanding and work in progress open roleplaying game type of map. While most of it's core systems are finished, there is still a lot of solid content to be added in, which makes it prone to frequent updates with new areas, quests and features!

Pick a hero class and make your way through the realms of Tempest, fighting creatures, adventuring in quests and getting stronger, or -load a previously saved character and engage in more challenging endeavors, doing so in single player, or online in jolly cooperation.

Warning! As the map is still in beta, it definitely has bugs and imbalances! That's why reviews are so important - see author's notes.

Features

Marked with [v] are the features already completed or at least partially implemented in the beta versions
Marked with
[_] are features planned to be released in future versions

[v] 6 hero classes to choose from, from many more planned
[v] 9 spells per hero class (beta has 5 spells per hero)
[v] On top of those, a spellbook for general and additional abilities
[v] Fully customized and/or triggered spells, that scale with your attributes or stats
[v] Colored floating texts that indicate damage, healing, and spells cast
[v] An intuitive equipment system that allows you to use helmets, armor, weapon, shield, amulet and boots, aside from your normal inventory
[v] Over a hundred custom consumables and equippable items, with equipment tiers from 0 (leather) to 7 (demonic steel)
[_] On top of the tier system, items may be Common, Rare, Unique or Legendary
[v] Stack your charged items like potions in one slot
[v] Store even more items with a traveling Stash
[v] Saving and loading so you can store your progress across multiple games, saving your inventory, equipment and stash items
[v] Play how you want! Fully control your locked/unlocked camera with arrow keys and commands to zoom, rotate and adjust angle
[_] Go where you want! Five different themed macro areas to visit - known as realms (beta version has 1 realm ready, but terrain is done - see screenshots)
[v] A total of 24 creep areas to visit, each representing a small map with particular features (beta version has 6 areas and expanding)
[v] Leveled loot in leveled creeps, up to 120 (beta has up to level 30)
[v] Custom creep respawn and experience system, never run out of creeps to fight!
[v] Beware! Custom rare creeps may spawn as elite monsters or bosses at any time, in any of the areas
[_] Five settlements and many neutral areas (beta version has starting area and the tavern)
[_] Five massive dungeons - one per realm, for very challenging Act Boss fights
[v] Hire custom mercenaries at the settlements
[v] Many merchants that sell equipment and have quests
[v] A repeatable, multiplayer quest system for basic missions of killing, gathering and rescuing (beta has only killing quests atm)
[_] An intriguing ingame story and lore to be added via main, unique quests
[_] Random events, secret merchants, secret mercenaries to hire, secret spells to unlock
[_] Covenants and Guilds that allow you to customize your General Abilities spellbook, based on your devotion to their cause

Changelog

[2018-01-07] - v0.15beta
*A ton of small bugfixes
*Leaving players' mercenaries, stash and summoned units are also removed now
*Killing an elite/boss will now count for quests for everyone near it, instead of just who last hitted
*Added 1 Legendary and 10 Rare items to the game
*Added a Chest that "sells" unlockable item quest rewards
*Replaced Scholar's Mana Shield with Frost Armor
*Save/load codes will now *hopefully* be compatible with every version of the map onwards
*Bard and Acolyte have all their leveled spells now! Next heros soon!

[2018-01-02] - v0.14beta
*Fixed Bard having the Scout's Piercing Shot spell
*Fixed Scout spell level for Eagle Eye (from 25 to 12)
*Fixed repick failing message appearing for everyone
*You may now repick an unlimited number of times, as long as your current hero does not reach level 3
*Cooldown on quest items "sold from NPCs" reduced
*Acolyte's Great Fireball no longer explodes upon colliding with trees
*Leaving players will now be teleported to the starting area
*Implemented basic AI for most random elite/boss encounters
*Slighly increased mercenaries and Scholar's elementals hp scaling
*Oracle now also heals nearby units
*Added Bribe's Item Cleanup System to help prevent lag in longer games
*Also added a trigger to remove all items from the ground every 15 minutes, with a warning 1 minute before it happens
*Added floating text to indicate the leveled areas at the Oracle
*Disabled ally attack
*Fixed '|n' text, appearing on quest requirement completion
*Added a special effect to creeps respawning
*Temporarily fixed item tier rewards

[2017-12-28] - v0.13 beta
* Map released after a few testing sessions; has 6 creep areas and 6 classes.

Screenshots

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Credits

67chrome
AnimE
Alastor
alfredx_sotn
Bribe
Buster
calex3
Cavman
Callahan
Chan
Dangerb0y
Darkfang
Deolrin
Ders
EAX
Em !
FrIkY
-Grendel
General Frank
G00dG4m3
Hexus
Himperion
Irokez
Infrisiosi
Zucken
JetFangInferno
kangyun
Ket
Kitabatake
Kuhneghetz
Marcelo Hossomi
MassiveMaster
Mr. Goblin
Paladon
PhysCraft
Rem
reason 3
redscores
Rmx
Scarecrow
Sin'dorei300
Stefan.K
Sxar
TheFlood
The_Witcher
Tranquil
TriggerHappy
Ujimasa Hojo
Uncle Fester
Weep
Wulfrein
zeshuri
Zack1996

Author's Notes

This map was made with ideas from a variety or RPGS I have played throughout the years. The project stopped and restarted a few times, but it is finally out!
The plan is now to make incremental improvements, the main objectives of the future versions are:
[*] Populate the other realms with NPCs, creeps and quests
[*] Create the item rarity system
[*] Design the rest of hero spells
[*] Design the dungeons
[*] Make more varied quests and questlines

Want to help make this map? How about having your own character or one of your ideas in the game?
I'm currently in need of gameplay reviewers that can test it for bugs and imbalances!
If you give a meaningful review to Tempest ORPG I am willing to:
-Create an Elite or Boss creep based on your design, or
-Create a custom mercenary for you, that the players can hire, or
-Create a Rare or Unique item based on your lore or ideas, or
-Something else customized!
Rules for this are flexible, within reason, you can choose name, icon, model, abilities, etc, I take care of the balancing and editing!
As long as the idea is somewhat immersive to the map (i.e. no xXxD4RK_P4L4D1NxXx creep name, with scaling 10.0, on the starting areas), I am willing to consider including them!

Thanks to Rufus for the Description Template tutorial!

Last edited:
Level 1
Hi juliano Well i gotta say the Ragerunner quest is bugged. The reward was a T1 Item. Besides that what you think about class specific items? you can use swords, bows etc as mage. Maybe change that? And could you change that great fireball of pyro dont hit on obstacles? its annoying when you dont hit enemy^^. and what would be nice (in my opinion) if you have to do a act-end-quest which you have to do before you have access to next act? i have some more ideas but i guess you already have enough to do :p. cya

Last edited:
Level 9
Hi juliano Well i gotta say the Ragerunner quest is bugged. The reward was a T1 Item. Besides that what you think about class specific items? you can use swords, bows etc as mage. Maybe change that? And could you change that great fireball of pyro dont hit on obstacles? its annoying when you dont hit enemy^^. and what would be nice (in my opinion) if you have to do a act-end-quest which you have to do before you have access to next act? i have some more ideas but i guess you already have enough to do :p. cya

Hey I remember you from playtesting! Glad to see you made it that far.
Sorry to hear about the bugged item tiers, I adjusted the tier lists in the next version to be released very soon.
However, what is being planned in future versions, as for the quest item rewards, is that the merchants/quest givers get extra unique items in their shops. Items that can be bought with Quest Points. This way the player can choose his reward according to his preferences. I.E. False Oracles quest will reward the player with tome, robe or staff, and so on.

I really like the terrain screenshots! Keep up the good work.
terrain looks really awesome. keep it up
Thank you, glad you liked it!

EDIT: Tempest ORPG v0.15beta released!!!

Last edited:
Level 1
Hi i tried out the 0.15 beta and have problems to load my chars. i tried different ones but always getting a Priestress of the Moon with the standard spells. I got the lvl and the Gold but still have problems with the inventory and yeah the wrong hero >_<. Hope you can fix that :) Wanna continue the game:D

Level 9
Hi i tried out the 0.15 beta and have problems to load my chars. i tried different ones but always getting a Priestress of the Moon with the standard spells. I got the lvl and the Gold but still have problems with the inventory and yeah the wrong hero >_<. Hope you can fix that :) Wanna continue the game:D

I believe you loaded a -load code from a version before 0.15 yes? I'm sorry but I think these will not work on this version.
Good news is that 0.15 onwards will always be compatible - Priestess of the Moon is actually a placeholder hero, so in the future I can add much more.

I cannot fix your old character code but, if you want, I can save a character for you, with the items etc, from our playtesting. Just tell me the exact battlenet user nickname, level, gold, lumber and items (inventory, equipment, and stash)

Btw, since you beta-tested, you may also design an item/mercenary/npc/boss if you would like!

Also, join the Discord!

Level 1
Well i had the scholar on lvl 60 with around 100k gold and the best items from first area. aswell as a lvl 30 bard with best items and around 35k gold :) would be nice if you can give me. My name is Nuttendiesel. Lumber was around 1,2k on scholar and 400-500 on bard. Hmm ill think about something to design.

Status
Not open for further replies.