• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Team Assault (beta 0.77) - need desync help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Team Assault (beta 0.83) - need desync help

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
====================

I've been trying to determine the cause of what appears to be a desync on my map.

I'm not too clear as to the cause of it, but I've tried some things I've found on the forums such as removing calls to have player select units and also all uses of localplayer.

I think there's supposed to be a particular camera function that will cause desyncs too, and the desyncs seem to be occuring around when players go to respawn (which could also be occuring when players leave, cause many players will leave when they die).

Is there a central list somewhere of common causes of desyncs?

If one of the players in the map has a bad connection, could it cause a desync?

I understand that DOTA had recently fixed a desync for when players leave - does anyone know what had caused it? Maybe my map is suffering from the same issue? or at least I'll know to avoid that cause in the future.

============================================================

MAP NAME
====================
Team Assault (will be Team Assault Gold at 1.0)

minimap_preview.jpg
minimap_full.gif

CREATOR
====================
JRPereira

lead tester: UberMasterII

CURRENT MAP STAGE
====================
Late Beta. Current to-do is below:

• Fix desync issue
  • Add priest revive ability
  • Add 1-2 new shops
  • Update intro dialog
  • Update credits
  • Possibly add "x killed y!" triggers

CURRENT VERSION/DOWNLOAD
====================

0.83 - most features complete, versions 0.84-0.99 left open for updates.

http://www.jrpereira.com/warcraft3/team_assault/team_assault_v083.zip
(Map is also attached to this post)

GAMEPLAY/OBJECTIVES
====================

Team Assault is a Warcraft 3 map where your team fights against the enemy team for control of territories. As you hold territories, your team slowly gains points for each territory. Once you reach a score total (which is decided at the start of the game), your team wins.

The main goal of team assault is to have your team reach a certain score goal faster than the enemy team. To score points, you need to hold territories. The territories are as follows:

• NorthWest
  • NorthEast
  • Central
  • SouthWest
  • NorthEast

To capture one of these territories, position your hero at the center of a territory - after a small period of time, your team will have captured the territory. To view your progress, see the multiboard at the topright of the screen. Each territory held contributes 1 point per second to your team.

FEATURES
====================

• Coded from the ground up in JASS - map performs very well - no apprecible lags or memory leaks.
  • 10 unique heroes to choose from, each with strong roles.
  • Very teamplay oriented
  • No heavy penalty for dying
  • Fast gameplay (but can vote for game speed as necessary)
  • Detailed map
  • Random creep item drops
  • Charged items automatically stack to save inventory space
  • Rounds system - don't always have to rehost to play more rounds
  • Game conditions voting
  • Not protected - feel free to create derivitive maps and gameplay modes

SCREENSHOTS
====================

HEROES
====================

Team Assault is geared around team vs team play with a large varied group of players. The heroes work best together, with each filling in specific roles.

Hero Information

• Scholar - The scholar acts as the battery for the team - stealing mana from the enemy and providing mana for his team. Scholars can also steal certain buffs and debuffs, further gathering mana for the team.
  • Scout - The scout is the fastest class and has the largest sight radius (which also isn't affected by the time of day). The scout is great for observing the battlefield. The scout can also see invisible units, making it great for detecting assassins. The scout's mass teleport ability allows it to quickly transport her team across the map.
  • Assassin - Master of stealth, the assassin can creep up to enemies and do massive damage. The assassin is adept at dodging in and out of battle, taking down enemies and preventing them from using abilities.
  • Priest - Priests help to keep a team in fighting shape - healing players and shielding them from harm.
  • Mage - The mage is adept at dealing damage to a wide area from a distance, making it great for assaults against swarms of targets and laying siege to enemy structures - especially when it's too dangerous to close in on enemy targets.
  • Berserker - Berserkers can get up close to groups of enemies and dish out lots of damage.
  • Brute - Best at the front of any assault, the brute is adept at absorbing damage and pushing through to capture points. The brute also can control combat through his taunts and stuns.
  • Necromancer - The necromancer is a master of the dead - summoning hordes of skeletons and even reanimating the corpses of his enemies.
  • Builder - Builders can put up base defenses and plant fountains and banners to heal and buff the team.
  • Ranger - Rangers are adept at picking off targets from a distance. Their high damage and ability to use their abilities from extreme range means that they can comfortably sit back and pick away at enemies without fear of retaliation. However, the ranger is pretty much defenseless up close.

Attachments

• team_assault_v083.zip
    243.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Team Assault 0.83 desync.w3g
    14.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Level 4
Screenshots added - unfortunately the screenshots aren't great for describing the map as it currently uses few custom abilities and no custom models or textures.

Also, I think I may have actually fixed the problem. I was using PanCameraToTimedLocForPlayer with a zero-second pan time instead of PanCameraToLocForPlayer (which I didn't know existed). The map seems to be a whole lot more stable now in 0.79, but I need much more testing to confirm.

Level 4
Luckily the terrain is the easiest thing to fix. Once I get the map down, I'm looking at putting out a few different versions with different terrain.

What would you recommend? Something more structured and arena-like?

Bah! I spoke too soon. The desyncs are there again.

Does anyone want to meet up on bnet sometime to try to see if we can reliably reproduce the problem?
I use "JRPereira" or "UberMasterII" as my nick on bnet.

I've attached a replay with a desync that happens very early to the OP, in case anyone can come up with ideas as to the cause.

[edit] Sorry about the triple post, fixed now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.