• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tales of Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Map Name:Tales of Heroes(Can Change)
Creator:Keale
Current stage of the map: Still at the start
Story:
10,000 years ago, the druids sealed a demon. because of the demon's immense power, they had to seal his body and soul separately. the druids foresaw that one day in the future the demon will be unsealed and wreak havoc in the world. so they formed a guild that would swear to protect the seal and protect the world from the demon.
10 years ago, the soul of the demon escaped because of the interference of the Shadow Cult. the members of the the(name of the order/guild that has sworn to protect the seal) fought the demon's soul and the cult that helped him. the guild barely survived and with dying breath the leader of the guild went to his son sealed the soul again in the body of his son and died.

chapter 1

present time, after the exodus from lordaeron led by jaina, in a peaceful village, the bar owner asks his son, Dan Raginthor to get some ingredients in the woods. when he comes back he discovers his village attacked by a band of gnolls. the gnolls kidnapped the villagers and took them to their camp. while wondering what to do another band of gnolls came to pick up what's left of the village. he fought the gnolls but was overwhelmed by them. he thought that it was his end when a pandaren blinked and saved him. the pandaren, going by the name of Shun, asked what happened to the village. dan said that the village was attacked by gnolls and they took the villagers. dan tought that with shun, they can stand a chance against the gnolls. so he asked shun to help him save the villagers. shun agreed saying that he owes a lot to the villagers and is more than willing to give his life for them. but to really save the villagers they need more help. so they went to the woods to look for Ria Swiftshot, a hunter and Dan's friend to ask for help. Ria swiftly agreed and they journeyed to the gnoll camp. they attacked the camp and saved the villagers, but two villagers, Ria's younger brother and Dan's father, was taken north for some unknown reason. they, without hesitation also journeyed north to save the other villagers. While journeying north, the group encounters some undead on the way, but quickly finishes them off. They then stop on a village to rest. as they were journeying they encountered more undead, and a necromancer(still thinking of the name). The necromancer senses the demons soul within Dan and orders the undead to finish his companions but Dan alive. the group battles the undead and finishes them. they go to the where the necromancer went but discovers the cages of the other villagers. Ria's younger brother was alive, but Dan's father was tortured. in his dying breath Dan's father told Dan that he was not his true son. that he was the son of the leader of the guild and that the when the guild was wiped out that leader sealed the soul of the demon in him. he then asks Dan to forgive his father for such a decision, and that he was proud for having a son like him. Dan screams in pain as his stepfather dies in his arms.

Chapter 2

chapter 3

the hidden story
a member of the guild survived and he took the son, also the main char to faraway village for protection. main char grew up without knowing his past and fate. the gnolls that attacked were actually sent by the cult because they sensed the soul of the demon in the village. they took main char's father because they recognized that he was from the guild so they took him to their headquarters to ask him where the demon's soul is.

the twist

Map features
-rpg style
-does not conflict with the warcraft story
-dungeons with puzzles
-interconnected maps(like rexxar's campaign)
-*equipment system(you can only change equipment on camps or inns, by clicking on a stash, or chest. 6 slots are alloted for:
2 weapons, 1 head, 1 body, 1 arms, 1 legs

Sidenotes:
i just started with the campaign so i can't provide a working screenshot. i would like to hear your opinions regarding the story, and the features. i'm new in map making, so pretty much everything is new to me. i've experimented on terrains, doodads, units, and abilities(without triggers) and it seemed okay. now i'm study triggers and made a cinematic somehow, but it seemed boring so i'm still working on it.comments, suggestions, reactions are welcome. if you want to suggest something please give tips so that i know what to do.
* this is optional because of my limited knowledge with triggers

Attachments

• Prologue.w3x
    23.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Level 19
Make him not trained as a blademaster. Maybe the shun, the panda, will help the character recover his memories. Simultaneously, Shun teaches him how to fight. Maybe the opening would be a short scene which he remembers. Then maybe after, he defeats the first main boss, a part is remembered by him which is the time before he lost his memory.

Level 12
Maybe the Hero was put to sleep by the antagonist of your game so that he would forget his role in the antagonist defeat? He wakes up and travels with Shun and along the way he retrieves fragments of his memory and Shun finally discovers who he really is and helps him to retrieve the rest of his past and defeat the antagonist.

Like the idea.

Are you recruiting?

Level 3
hmm, shun is just a supporting character. i planned him to be just the master because i'm thinking of adding three more characters, a beast invoker, a holy ranger and a spell knight. and i'm planning to make shun a very strong pandaren or something, but it could change. youre idea is great blindman, maybe i could think about it. a twist would be very awesome, i hadn't thought of that. haha i would try to rethink the story. i'm still thinking about what my antagonists will be, undead, underground syndicate, etc. i'm also thinking about the setting, lordaeron, kalimdor, quel'thalas, or maybe that very secret place where pandarens live. is it okay to ask this things in this forum? i'm referring to the incomplete story.

Umm, ariscal, i think i need all the help i can get, being new and all. what do you do? i think i'm okay with terrains and abilities. my problems lie on triggers, but i guess i need a team.

by the way thanks ariscal for reminding about twists. i forgot that very critical part.

Last edited:
Level 19
How about the place would be not in the warcraft 3 lore maybe some place made-up. Shun should be around level 3 when met. And there could be a place where they go underground and fight that underground syndicate which could be gnolls.

OFF-TOPIC:
Dont triple post. Just edit your last post.

Level 3
Sorry, my internet is kinda messed up. :| I would still like the campaign to be in the warcraft place. maybe in lordaeron,

Level 3
okay, thank you very much for the help. i really appreciate it. tomorrow i'll try to finish the first part of the story, so we can start with the prologue.

umm by the way, what does alpha and beta mean when it comes to map development?

and you know triggers right? do you have any idea how to do the features? i program so you can use technical terms but not too much :)

Level 3
umm, nevermind. i'm putting finishing touches on the story and i will post it on the 1st post on this thread.

edit: i posted a more complete story. the bad guy here is the cult that is planning to release the demon, headed by a greedy king. eventually main char will meet members of the order, and his memory will be retrieved, and now with with courage he faces his fate to defeat the demon.(when he was a teenager, he was frail and weakling.)

twist: still thinking about the twist, maybe something like he will need to sacrifice his life for the defeat of the demon(not in battle, as in some sort of ritual, or maybe the piece of the soul of the demon is in his body or something)

main char = name of the main char. i'm still thinking about it.

Last edited:
Level 3
okay. is the story okay? ill start with the first two maps(prologue and chapter 1) and show it to you. thanks for the support

Level 19
OK Pm it to me.

EDIT:
I suggest you hide the twist or don't reveal it. It will spoil people who are playing your campaign.
Put the story in Hidden Tags. Maybe like this:

Story Here

Story Here

Heres what I think for the story. In Chapter 1, maybe in the prologue, he was sent by his parents or maybe he was raised by a bar owner or a store owner and was sent by him to go to the woods to fetch some ingredients. The Gnolls shouldn't attack for no reason, so maybe the Gnolls were sent by the antagonist to kill the hero which was said to be in that town. Then after all the gnolls were beaten, they told them there quest. After that, Ria's younger brother and the bar/store owner who raised him also was captured. Also it would be nice if it didn't happen 10,000 years ago. Maybe 10 years ago - 20 years ago.

Chapter 2 would basically be their journey to the place. It would be better that the person who raised him is a part of the group who sealed the demon. Then the person who raised him barely survived (so his model should have some bandages). And the person who raised him found the hero as a kid then the group sealed the demon in his body. The soul of the demon is in the body and the body of the demon is in a temple hidden deep in a cave or volcano. I have a base idea of the story gonna send it to you.

Heres the twist:

The demon is in the main characters body, then the person who raised him died to give the main character the key or an object of some sorts to him. If you will make more characters, then there should be some sort of spy. Maybe he's the beast invoker or the spell knight.

I have ideas for characters and their names:

Main Character:
Model: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/rpg-hero-human-villager-64170/?prev=of%3Ddownloads%26search%3Dhero%26r%3D20%26d%3Dlist%26page%3D2

Name: Kelen, Tenris, or something else.

Shun:
You already have nearly everything. But if you want to change the model,
Model: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/pandaren-wardancer-48689/?prev=of%3Ddownloads%26search%3Dpandaren%26r%3D20%26d%3Dlist

Beast Invoker:
Name: Bearclaw
Model: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/barbarian-170045/?prev=of%3Ddownloads%26search%3Dbeastmaster%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20

Spell Knight:
Name: Conjurus
Model: Spell Breaker or http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/blood-elf-paladin-112779/?prev=of%3Ddownloads%26search%3Dspell%2520breaker%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20

Last edited:
Level 3
your twist seems better than mine. but i'm afraid other's might think it came from the anime naruto, so i didn't consider a twist like that. but maybe i can apply it. the gnoll's attack was just random, because i thought that gnolls eat humans so there attack was just for food i thought. being raised by a bar-owner is good. i'll apply that. how do you do hidden tags? i'm sorry i'm new here so i don't know how to do that. also, i realized that too many characters seems confusing, so i am planning to concentrate on only three characters, shun, the main character, and ria swiftshot. maybe the other characters will be just npc's or helpers along the story.

the 10,000 years ago was when the demon was sealed. the attack of the gnolls happened in the present time. sorry for bad english.

wait wait i'm going to arrange the story.

edit: i changed the story. did i get what you were saying? i've already started the cinematics and is now wondering how to create effects to make it better. by the way, i think it will be better if the main characters model would like that of a hunter, maybe like that of the barbarian you suggested but maybe younger.

Last edited:
Level 19
Don't be afraid. It doesn't need something original to always succeed. Its okay. Who cares about what others think? Its your map, and if your happy with it its better. Besides, look how many people enjoy naruto? (I'm one of them :D) Back to the story:

A random attack is sucks balls. Make it for a reason since if they are there due to a random attack, its like somebody drunk who is weak and skinny just suddenly punches a the bars bouncer. But you decide the story. Im here for ideas. In chapter two make the Gnolls sent by the antagonist who wants the demon back. The gnolls maybe are a group of bandit gnolls.
For the model of the main character, make it an unequiped model. No weapon and armor. So the equipment system would work.
I have some ideas for the system:

You are allowed to forge weapons by using materials obtained.

There are a total of 6 or maybe more pages of inventory in your bag and you can circle around them.

Basically stacks charged items like potions. If you buy two potions they will only consume 1 slot.

When a creep dies, after an amount of time, it will be revived. To make it more balanced, creeps revive when they are not nearby heroes.

Units drop items related to them. Like Gnoll drops Gnoll Skin.

Aides the hero in battle. Maybe revived.

Shows how much damage is dealt via Floating Texts.

Allows you to battle bosses

Allows you to talk to others.

Allows you to travel between towns/cities after you have seen them.

A Multiboard is displayed which shows the players health and other stuff like that.

If you dont know how to make this, then I can help you or do it for you :)

Ill try to dig up some systems from my old abandoned project.
By the way, what country are you from?

Level 3
Yeah I will make it that way. In chapter two, there will be an explanation of why the gnolls attacked, and that is because of the cult wanting the demons back, like what you said.
me too, i love naruto. thanks a lot for the support. i am from the philippines by the way. the prologue will be delayed. i am very sorry, i am having trouble with cinematics and effects. umm but i'll try to hurry up so you can check it. :)

Level 3
oh. a kababayan. i felt relieved! :)

i am now thinking of the names of my characters. i think that the names of the characters are very important, so..

by the way, i figured out what was wrong last time so i was able to fix the cinematic.

Last edited:
Level 3
you know that feeling of seeing a familiar face in a sea of strangers? umm that's what i felt.

the campaign is still in progress. i'm still at the cinematics. sorry i'm so slow. can you help me picture this scene:

10 years ago, the soul of the demon escaped because of the interference of the Shadow Cult. the members of the the(name of the order/guild that has sworn to protect the seal) fought the demon's soul and the cult that helped him. the guild barely survived and with dying breath the leader of the guild went to his son sealed the soul again in the body of his son and died.

and how do i send the map to you?

Level 19
Oh. If you wanna send the map to me privately, maybe you could PM me then post the map at rapidshare or so its more easy just attach it. If you wanna attach it, then click go advanced -> Scroll down and select manage attachments -> Upload the map via Upload file from your Computer -> wait until it is done uploading -> finally click close window and post it.

Level 3
What's the progress? I think I should start working with Chapter 1 now. I am looking for models for the Main character, which I named Dan Raginthor.

Level 3
:goblin_boom::goblin_boom: you're waaaaaaay better than me. :goblin_cry::goblin_cry: can i edit the prologue a little? and i would like to change necros' name to a more frightening name. califax is a good one. by the way thanks a lot for improving my prologue.

by the way, what leaks?

i think these are good choices for the models for Dan Raginthor. though i'm still looking for more
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/hellscream-47392/?prev=search%3Dhunter%26r%3D20%26d%3Dlist%26page%3D2

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/herodemonhunter-158833/?prev=search%3Dhunter%26r%3D20%26d%3Dlist%26page%3D2

Level 3
by the way, what is happening on the 2nd and 3rd scene of the cinematics? i added more units on the first scene (demon soldiers, night elf soldiers and villagers)
by the way, i tried the human in leather armor. i think it suits the main character, but when i tried attaching a sword, it didn't look good

Last edited:
Level 3
hmm. okay i'll try attaching other swords. umm wait, the problem is the attachment point. when a sword is attached it looks like its in his wrist. and his stand animation where he scratches his back, if the sword were to be put in his right hand, then it would look like it is stabbing his back

anyway, i thought that this cinematic we are making reveals the background story of the main character, which is our twist. so i am thinking that what if we just make this an interlude, probably after chapter 3. because in chapter 2 the main character learned that he is not his father's real son, and that a demon soul is within him. so i am thinking in chapter 3 maybe he will go to a library of some sorts to learn more of his destiny. then comes this cinematic which will explain everything.

so what do you think?

Level 19
Yes. Definitely. In the model, just put it in the right hand where he's like scratching it.
How do you think of the main town? The tavern is his house, one of the houses there are Ria's house. The terrain was Gnoll Woods by Blizzard since I was too lazy. If you want a different one, i'll change it. Select one terrain from Blizzard, from Hive Workshop or maybe your own.

attachment.php

Attachments

• toh.JPG
    toh.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Level 3
so we will just make this cinematic an interlude? okay. i would like to change the timeline of that cinematic, it will be better if it is just years ago, maybe i would put there that it happened during archimonde's assault on the world tree, many other demons appeared around the world.

I am having problems about memory leaks. i did it like this:
set tempPoint = Portal <gen>
Create 1 Kiljaeden at tempPoint ...
call RemoveLocation(udg_tempPoint)
->this last line is where the error always appears

the terrain is good. perhaps we can add more houses? where is the gnoll camp there by the way? and in chapter 1, i thought that assaulting the camp will be very hard so i thought that somewhere on the way to the camp, they will meet a forest druid (this is an optional quest) who will ask for something, and when they finished the quest, the forest druid will help them assault the camp. the forest druid will be a great help because it can summon many strong neutral creeps so i think it will be a great help.

in the first scene i put a portal there, and then the demon comes out of the portal then other demon creeps come out and they attack the village. then califax comes to stop them and he succeeds, but first there is a battle.

Level 19
put a space between RemoveLocation and the udg part.
Like this:
call RemoveLocation (udg_tempPoint)

On the 1st chapter ok. Maybe dont add warcraft stuff. It would maybe mess up the story. If you want more houses I could put some. If the demon lord would summon the other demons, then maybe califax would have help from druids and maybe some footmen.
In the assaulting the camp, there will be 3 characters right? The main one, shun and ria. Before the assault will start, the step father of the main character would ask him to go help around the village and ask if anyone has a specific ingredient. This would make create some optional quests. The main quest would be to complete all the optional quests. My idea was like this:
1. Do the first main quest.
2. Then when you are at the forest, when you go back, its full of gnolls.
3. You try to beat them but Shun saves you.
4. You attack a small gnoll camp.
5. Cinematic occurs then you are told where your step father was and where Rias younger bro was.
6. Go there.
7. Meet the druid. (optional)
8. He joins you. (optional)
9. You attack the main camp. There is a hero there which is the Gnoll Commander, which is a Gnoll Overseer or some other model.
10. After you defeat, you are told that they are sent to the northern part of the island.
CHAPTER 2
1. You go to a different place. Maybe a valley. Thats all I got for now.
Whats the model also? I cant continue unless you havent told me it. When I have the town completed, and some quests, I will send it to you.
Also mind picking an image for the loading screen?

Level 3
i thought that maybe your number 6 is where my chapter 2 starts. but okay it will be better if it is compressed in one chapter. your idea matches mine. i'll try to fix the memory leaks again.

by the way can you explain what was happening in the 2nd and 3rd scene, i mean why is there a portal and why did califax enter it too? sorry to be asking it again.

and yes it will be like some battle, califax will have other creeps too but in the end the demon is defeated but is not killed so they will have to seal him.

and can you help me choose which sword will be attached to him? here is the test map i made. i liked the 1st, 3rd and 5th from the left

Attachments

• dan raginthor.w3x
    663.4 KB · Views: 342
Level 19
I forgot to answer so I should be sorry. The portal was for sealing the demon lord. If the story begins at part 6, maybe too much maps. Better if we merge it. Creeps would be something like the forest ones. Maybe the furbolgs or maybe forest trolls. About the sword, maybe lets make an item equip system. This makes the hero allowed to only carry 1 item for left hand (weapon), right hand (shield), chest, legs, arms, and misc.This can be seen when pressing a spell book ability. The ability is based off spell book. Whenever you equip something to your hero, then the corresponding slot changes. If there are no item/s in that slot, then it will have the default picture. Back to the swords, it would be better if the hero would start off with a weak sword, weak shield and no armor. By the way, can you attach your sounds folder of your warcraft since I accidentally deleted mine. Maybe .zip or .rar it. I think the hero should be the mercenary one since it has a shield animation. Dont use the unarmed hero since when it walks, it has the demonic footsteps. Maybe the sword would be this http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...596/?prev=t=7&search=sword&r=20&d=list&page=7 and his shield http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...-126118/?prev=search=orc%20shield&d=list&r=20.
I attached the new map. And heres also a link which shows the mercenary equipped with the shortsword and shield.

attachment.php

But we need to remove some animations from the hero if its this. We need to remove attack 2 animation since the sword goes through him. Back to my previous question, pick a picture for our loading screen for the map.
EDIT:
I suggest you make a map development thread if you want more people.

Attachments

• dan raginthor.w3x
    667.5 KB · Views: 334
  • toh.JPG
    toh.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Level 3
yes, a weak sword and a weak shield. but the mercenary model doesn't have a portrait so i eliminated that. the one i really liked is the one with leather armor. and i like your equipment system. i also thought of the equipment system in monster hunter, where the hero can only change equipment at camp or village.

wait what do you mean by map dev't thread?

Level 19
Yes, like MH. It would be cool. But there arent much villages in the first map so lets scratch it out. If we need to make the portrait, maybe we could ask the creator of it if we could edit it. Ill try to learn how. The Map Development is the forums before idea factory. This is just a sub forum of it. And the loading screen, how about it? We also need to delete an animation of it if the mercenary. But if you pick the leather one, then we just remove a defend ability for the unit.

Level 3
oh right right. i understand, this idea of the map is finished and now we are at the map development. okay i'll start a new thread there.

the equipment system, umm maybe he can have an item that lets him set up a camp and there he could change equipment? but your spellbook, i think its better.

now the model for Dan.. is it the mercenary or the one in leather armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.