1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Taiga Survival

Submitted by dgriff
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
1-7 Player Survival Map

Build structures, craft items, and hunt animals to survive. A rescue helicopter comes in 30 minutes.

Features:
- Physics-based skiing (jumps and skids)
- Procedurally-generated terrain and forests
- Emergent animal behavior and AI

Known Issues:
- Wolf Lichen has one extra charge, but oh well.

To Do:
- Stable Release. I mean it this time =P

Recent Notes:
- Improved predator and prey AI.
- Added Wolf Lichen (a poison) that can be dragged onto either meat or arrows
- Fixed game-ruining bug >.> whoops!

Discoveries while making this map (they're new to me):
- Powerup items, when consumed, don't get removed from the map. So if your AI has "get xxx item from the ground", it will keep trying to grab the same item even after it's been consumed. Have to remove powerups manually w/ the Unit Acquires Item Event.
- The Event Unit Loses Item needs to have a small delay inside it because the item isn't immediately dropped upon calling.
- Destroying a group that has been declared but not created will stop further execution of code following the destroy call. That means your code will not work and be hard to debug.
- You have to set handles = null even if you remove them. So call removelocation(loc) doesn't cut it. Have to set loc = null afterwards. Otherwise the map will leak.
- Units cannot rapidly change facing direction. This means you can't accurately depict rotational velocity/spins.
- Terrain generated with the "setterraintype()" function does not update to the minimap. This means my map looks blank even after I add the terrain.
- Trees generated with the "createdestructable()" function do not update to the minimap. This means you can't see trees on the minimap in this map.
- Increasing the number of trees in a map can cause stuttering with war3's built-in pathfinding.
- Fly height isn't affected by terrain height, but it does show up on the map. So a helicopter flying over hill will rise up as it flies over and fall back down as it clears it. The fly height will remain the same.
- Changing terrain height in-game causes desynchs somehow.
- Changed terrain height in-game looks flat in the fog of war.

Version 2009.12.10 (Fourth Release)

Title: Taiga Survival Description: Warcraft III Custom Map
Copyright (C) 2009 Daniel Griffing

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

Keywords:
survival, ski, proceduralgeneration, ai, yeti
Contents

Taiga Survival (Map)

Reviews
22:34, 18th Oct 2009 ap0calypse: Approved A pretty fun game to play for a few times, it has a few good systems and is pretty realistic. Once you know what to do, it's way too easy though.
  1. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I couldn't really understand what you were saying.

Also, DGriff, I was wondering if you would add different survivor types (E.G. Intelligent, Agile, Strong).

EDIT: The ski system is an ass while trying to stop. I keep slowly sliding after I tried to stop.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. Djole

Djole

Resources:
    Resources:
    Me and my friend survived 27 minutes,we lost because my fps(frames per second) got very low when all animals attack!
    Make map more interesting:Make terrain colorful, put different kinds of meat for every animal(its bad that racoon meat heals same as wolf meat)!Think there is no need for more items because inventory become overloaded with arrows at late game mb you should put some backpack for arrows only!
    Also there is big memory leak when animal get caught in trap!

3. Absent

Absent

Resources:
    Resources:
    +rep for all the helpful tips in the description. Great map.

4. dgriff

dgriff

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @aesthetics: Different survivor types is a good suggestion, but it's not high on my list. Once I get the game in working order stuff like that can happen. Currently I'm just trying to fix all the leaks. For skiing, use X to break or right click behind him to make him stop quickly.

@Djole: Different animals do indeed drop the same type of meat. However, smaller animals only drop one piece; large animals drop many pieces - so I think the system is fine. I am going to add more item capacity. However, I think it's a bad idea to carry 120 arrows late game as you implied you were doing, so perhaps it's your strategy not being optimal that's causing problems.

@Absent: Thanks! Glad I could help.

Overall I'm getting annoyed at the garbage collection of war3. It's really not fun to have the task manager open while running war3 at different points, checking each function for leaks. All the obvious leaks are gone from the map, too. =(

5. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey DGriff, do you think it would be nice to submit a Taiga Survival guide? (written by yours truly.) :wink:

6. dgriff

dgriff

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Go for it; however, it might get obsolete as I change the map.

7. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What if I updated it? :D

EDIT: You know that new blizzard event thing? It's really annoying, especially if the chopper just arrived and there's a blizzard to avoid. I've also noticed that the blizzard causes extreme lag.

EDIT 2: I made a preview for your map (bored). If you want to implement it, just import it and change the path to "war3mapPreview.tga" without the quotes. (ATTACHED)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  8. dgriff

dgriff

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @aesthetics: I'm not going to use that screen, but thanks for the thought.

@everyone: I'm sick of my map. Testing it is really boring and I don't really like the gameplay; so this is the last version. I'll fix any reported bugs or whatever if they're easy, but other than that, I'm moving on to another project (starcraft AI contest if anyone's interested).

If someone feels adventurous enough to continue the map, go for it. Honestly it's probably too hard to figure out my spaghetti jass and random systems, so this map is likely to be at best some form of inspiration. But, if you are working on it and are wondering wtf I was doing anywhere in the code I'll probably answer emails about specific questions.

The most useful part of this code, at least for me, is the item stacking and drag-drop system I made if you're willing to figure it out. You can set how many items of whatever type a player can carry, etc. Also, the skiing was good practice for a particle system, but if I were to do it again I'd give all units the requisite properties (like mass, velocity vector, angular acceleration, etc) so different triggers could all interact in a kosher way if they're doing some particle physics effects. I basically had to hack into my ski code to make the yeti knock units through the air.

9. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's not a loading screen... that's a preview?

Also I'm sorry to hear that you are discontinuing the project.

10. ironinferno

ironinferno

Resources:
    Resources:
    ... how come when i make this game on bnet only 1 out of 6 player get a survivor?

dont we all get a peasant?

11. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What do you mean?

12. ironinferno

ironinferno

Resources:
    Resources:
    i though i made it clear but here.

only 1 out of the full game(everyone) get a survivor(peasanT)(the dude who get wood). (i pick normal)

13. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Still no idea what you're talking about, but I'll try to explain:

Everyone is supposed to get a survivor, I never encountered people missing survivors. And gathering wood, everyone can.

P.S. Didn't test the new version, so there might be stuff that I don't know about, although there aren't much differences, is there?

14. slake

slake

Resources:
    Resources:
    I love these kind of maps your is good but its in early stage right and what do you mean with AI(oh maybe the animals if thats it there behavior is realy interesting and they take meat nice)
    you should realy add more buildings and omg the yeti trashed my base man and it was heavily protected by like 6 big traps and snowmen and there was a fire on purpose too
    I hade to escape to my friends base where we were atacked non stop by bears and wolfs and barely escaped to the helicopter

15. darkdeathknight

darkdeathknight

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I get a problem where i play with my brother on LAN and when i host my brothers W3 freezes and when he hosts I don't get a survivor.
    I also had a bug where I got flamed/immolated by my own fire. Is that supposed to happen?

16. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, you are supposed to get immolated by your own fire.

And the new survivor spawning problem, I'm sure it's a bug, now that more than one person mentioned it.

17. darkdeathknight

darkdeathknight

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I think the immolation idea is bad. I run away from a wolf and i get killed by fire :( It's good anyways except that its hard playing alone.

18. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I agree that the immolation idea sucks.

But I don't agree that playing alone is hard. Really, have you considered the IQ of people on BNet? They pull me down more than they support me. I have to feed them, first aid them, save them from wolves, manage them, etc.

19. ironinferno

ironinferno

Resources:
    Resources:
    can some moderator reject this map..

not everyone can get a survivor... this map is now broken till fix. only one of the group randomly get a survivor

20. shadow487

shadow487

Resources:
    Resources:
    Neeeeds to be fixed!!!

yes so i start the map, then the screen pops up for what mode u choose, then you pick any mode, once you pick everything seems fine......but if there is OTHER people playing once u pick the mode the other peoples screen for picking the mode gets glitched and they cant pick/type/click anything soo then u have to either reboot your system or alt-f4. everytime i tried to play this, the same thing happens.:cry: