• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

System Akin to Zerg Larvae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hey, everyone. Long time no see. I'm finally getting around to finishing COTC's sequel project, and I've run into something of a snag.

I'm trying to make a system that's like the Zerg Larvae from Starcraft 1 (and presumably Starcraft 2 as well, but I've still never played it because my computer is ancient and can't run it at all).

For now, I'm not worrying about the spawning of them; that shouldn't be too difficult to handle. Instead, I'm just trying to get the bloody things to hatch something.

Another factor is that I'm not spawning larvae, I'm spawning immobile eggs. Instead of a larvae choosing a unit, then morphing into an egg, then hatching into the selected unit, it's instead simply an egg that chooses a unit, then hatches into that unit. I'm also intending to make the Egg a little bigger while it's producing a selected unit to distinguish it from other Eggs which haven't. So the entire "change to Egg" phase can be skipped outright. But I'm pretty sure I can manage that too. For now, I just want to get the friggin' thing to hatch at all. So because of this, I just have the Egg as a very fast training unit from the HQ for testing purposes.

So this is what I've tried so far:

Events
- A unit finishes casting an ability
Conditions
- Ability being cast Equal to Hatch into X
Actions
- Order Casting unit to train/upgrade to X

I've tried enabling "Is a Building" in the Egg's stats settings, and I've tried disabling it. I've tried adding "Add classification: Structure & Remove classification: Ground unit" before the train/upgrade command. I've tried changing "Casting unit" to "Triggering Unit". I've tried changing "finishes casting an ability" to "begins the effect of an ability" (As the "Hatch into X" ability was based on troll Berserk with the string turned off and all the numbers set to 0, with modified buff/effect that only last a fraction of a second) with the condition as it is above and also with the changed condition of "Triggering unit/Casting unit (tried both) has buff/effect (tried both) Hatching into X/Hatching into X (effect)".

Last night, I must've spent three or four hours trying every conceivable combination of the above changes as well.

What I would ultimately prefer is for the unit to "train" from the Egg, so as to display a progress bar when you have it selected, rather than morphing after a timer that you can't actually see. I'll worry about the post-hatch Egg killing later.

And the only other command that I can find that has anything to do with training units at all is the "Limit unit training availability for player" command, which is entirely useless here.

So I'm really friggin' stumped here. I dunno' how to fix this. I feel as though I've tried everything.

:vw_death:

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Level 6
you try to use Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability?
Yeah, I did. I mentioned that in the OP:
I've tried changing "finishes casting an ability" to "begins the effect of an ability" (As the "Hatch into X" ability was based on troll Berserk with the string turned off and all the numbers set to 0, with modified buff/effect that only last a fraction of a second) with the condition as it is above and also with the changed condition of "Triggering unit/Casting unit (tried both) has buff/effect (tried both) Hatching into X/Hatching into X (effect)".

I assume you haven't added the new unit type to "Upgrades to" or "Units trained" field? If so, that's the problem.
Do you mean the "Upgrades Used" field? If so, then yes, I have that field filled in on the Egg (because that field was filled in for Troll Headhunter, but not Berserker, I figured I should do it the same way). However, for some weird-ass reason or another, I've actually never noticed the "Upgrades to" field before. I'll totally try that and get back to you.

EDIT: IT WORKED! THANKS SO MUCH! 8'D There's only two minor, not-really-game-breaking problems with it now. 1) The Egg's model changes into Unit-X's model immediately instead of after the training/upgrade is over, going through Unit-X's birth animation during training (I want it to stay as an egg until the training is complete), and 2) Despite the fact that it does take the time to wait for the allotted build-time that's designated to X, it doesn't show a progress bar when I have it selected. Any idea what I can do about these, if anything?

Last edited:
Level 6
Progress bar might be only shown for buildings. I don't know though.

Well, I had "Is a building" set to True, so I guess not. I tried changing it to False, and it still wouldn't show a progress bar.

Is there no way to get a progress bar happening? Or perhaps to synthesize one? Also, still have the issue of the Egg switching models at the beginning of training rather than after.

Level 6
Take a look at the mod WarCraft Vs StarCraft.

Well, I went to their website to check it out after seeing your post (had never heard of it before). Seemed promising at first. Then I noticed it was 50+MB zipped. lol. I figured "okay, maybe it's just a really big single player map". Then I opened it up and realized that you weren't kidding when you said "mod". lol. I dunno' what to do with this thing. Even if I did, isn't making a mod fundamentally different from making a custom map? I would imagine that I wouldn't be able to do half the things in the map editor that one could do by reprogramming the game itself. lol. If I'm mistaken, then please correct me. ^^;;

Status
Not open for further replies.