• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Syntax error for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Moin moin =)

I just wanted to create a little map for no reason and already having a little problem, without doing anything. I just created a new map, want to save it and a syntax error shows up:

JASS:
function GetFadeFromSeconds takes real seconds returns integer
    if (seconds != 0) then
        return 128 / seconds
    else
        return 10000
    endif
endfunction

In the error window the "else" is marked and the error message is "line 7118:Cannot convert returned value from real to integer". I checked the trigger editor; nothing. Also also enabled UMSWE and things like that to test if this would fix the problem, but nothing, it's just a new empty map without adding, editing or deleting something.

I think I stood to long out of this scene, since its nothing I know from the past, so please can someone help me a bit here? =D

Thanks - Greetings - Peace
Dr. Boom

Last edited by a moderator:
You are trying to divide an integer by a real. By default, that converts it to a real.

Thus you must change the line to:
JASS:
return R2I(128 / seconds)

EDIT: I just realized that is a BJ function. You should get the latest patch. This is what it should look like in the latest Blizzard.j:
JASS:
function GetFadeFromSeconds takes real seconds returns integer
    if (seconds != 0) then
        return 128 / R2I(seconds)
    endif
    return 10000
endfunction

Source:
http://wiki.thehelper.net/wc3/jass/Blizzard.j

Long ago blizzard wasn't very careful with returns. The return bug allowed such statements, and it would typecast the real 128/seconds to an integer since the "returns" portion expected an integer. Ever since 1.24, they fixed that and fixed the faulty functions that relied on the return bug.

Level 16
O
M
G

I reinstalled my computer also Warcraft 3 but forgot to patch it, since I don't connect to Battle.net anymore.
How stupid can someone be seriously .. well thanks anyway :D

Edit: Bah need to spread some rep first before I can give you some rep :s

Greetings and Peace
Dr. Boom

Status
Not open for further replies.