• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Symmetrical Chaos

Reactions: Alexander Corvinus
This is my first map that I have really put some effort into... It doesn't have very many environment doodads or anything, but considering the map, it isn't supposed to.

It is meant to look as symmetrical as it does, and I know that the creeps don't really fit any theme... I made it all go along with the half-story that is in the actual map description.

This map should only be played 2v2-3v3-FFA... a 4v4 battle doesn't work very well considering the starting positions.

I tried on this and hope you all like it, there is no custom anything on here. It is a basic map, no extra triggers or anything. A simple battle map.

I am open to criticism as I want to get better at map making... So be ruthless, as long as what you say makes sense...

I don't protect my maps because I see little point in it.... you may want to look or something, and because there are ways around it anyway.... But please do not change my work, i spent the time on it and made it the way it was meant to be...

Edit:

1.I have changed the middle creeps as they were over-powerful.

2. Septimus pointed out that there were several high level creeps with low level items. This has been fixed.

3. The center gold mines had too much gold inside them, I adjusted this accordingly.

4. Septimus also suggested to add more doodads to make it a more interesting map... He gave me a beautiful example... I still have not added anything extra (doodads) and have 0 intention of adding any more detailing or doodads... I did not intend for the map to have these things, and so it doesn't...

Keywords:
Symmetrical, Chaos, Vincent, Vincent0345, simple, battle, map, archmage, Dalaran, 2v2, 3v3, FFA, free, for, all, 8, player, multiplayer
Contents

Symmetrical Chaos (Map)

Reviews
17:33, 22nd Feb 2009, by Rui The map supports 8 players and is symmetrical, that's a plus. However, the terrain, allied to an already difficult tileset, is not the best. The worst are definitely the drops, however, and the neutral buildings guarded...

M

17:33, 22nd Feb 2009, by Rui
The map supports 8 players and is symmetrical, that's a plus. However, the terrain, allied to an already difficult tileset, is not the best. The worst are definitely the drops, however, and the neutral buildings guarded by the creeps who drop them can't receive a plus either.
All in all, a 2/5 (Lacking) map. Seeing as how the creator is willing to improve, this map's status is Approved.

Level 31
Melee map doesn't need protection anyway...

First of all, it is not a wise decision to use hero as creep especially when all of it gather at 1 spot with fountain of health. (I suggest you to remove it and replace it with something else. If the map plot/storyline have something to do with it. Keep the heroes distances away or else you can remove the heroes and change the plot as well.)

Second, the terrain look nice but the usage of destructible/doodad was rather poor which you certainly should improve about that.

Third, gold mine amount seems to be inbalance at the middle of the map. I suggest you to reduce the amount by 20k (Unless the map storyline/plot tell otherwise.

Fourth, the item distribution have a minor inbalance since some of it doesn't worth it. For example, some level 9 creep drop level 6 item. I suggest you to keep the item level and the creep level distance between 0-2.

This resources quality is good enough for approval and it was non-bugged.

Improve the 4 major problem I mention and it would be a useful resources.

As for now, it was currently lack of certain feature.

2/5.

Level 3
I adjusted everything you asked for accordingly...

I did not add doodads though, they are meant to give the map or more natural feel... This is the exact opposite of what I sought with the map, it is meant to be nearly perfectly symmetrical right down to the trees and doodads would have upset that.

Level 3
I understand that, very much so... But I did not intend for this map to have such things on it...

I am learning terraining and could have put it in here if I so wished... I understand that without it the map is less desirable, but it has been created in the way that I originally designed and pictured it...

Level 13
there's another problem with your map that was overlooked so far.

your gold mines and start locations are too far away. this makes it easier for undead/night elf and harder for human/orc. make those closer. human and orc need more than 5 workers on gold and that is not right. they should only need 5. make the start locations closer to the gold mines.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Summary
√8 possible players
(X)Terrain
(X)Originality
(X)Creep choice
(X)Drops
(X)Neutral Buildings
This is my review to Vincent0345's "Symmetrical Chaos".It is a symmetrical melee map, those are not very hard to make. The creator gets a plus for making an 8 player map, but a minus on originality terms.

I don't appreciate the terrain of the Dalaran tileset. It is boring, since the textures of these campaign-only tilesets are made specifically for a certain type of terrain. In Dalaran tileset's case, a city. You still managed to not make it any more interesting than it is, though. I don't think the trees in the center were a good idea either.
You also get a minus on the drops and the neutral buildings.I don't like the creep choice so much: lore-wise, Demons and the Broken Draenei are enemies, and I don't think the Nether Dragons like either of those two. In your map, we could find Fel Stalkers making up the front lines with the Broken.
Drops are not your strong point either. To start, I have doubts as to if two level 1 Bandits and a level 3 Rogue should drop a better item than two Forest Trolls and a Forest Troll Priest. The creeps who guarded the neutral buildings also dropped way too good items (2 high level permanents) for their power.
Speaking of neutral buildings, placing a red (dangerous) creep camp guarding structures such as Goblin Merchants and Mercenary Camps was an error. Think about it: who's going to need a Mercenary Camp late game?
By limiting players' access to these buildings, you're also limited the diversity of possible strategies.

My rating for this resource is 2/5 (Lacking). We generally do not accept maps with this rating, but I believe you can improve. As such, I have set its status to Approved.

Level 18
Here is my rating and comment:

Rating system

Altered Melee:
1 - 10 points go on originality
1 - 10 points go on terrain
1 - 10 points go on bug free
1 - 10 points go on gameplay/fun factor
1 - 10 points go on lag
1 - 10 points go on balance
1 - 10 points go on drops
1 - 10 points go on Object editor work
1 - 10 points go on proper submission and crediting
1 - 10 points go on scripting
1 - 10 points go on camera work
1 - 10 points go on music and or voice acting
1 - 10 points go on dialog
-------------------------------------------------
Percent Grade Status

0 - 34%
1/5 Rejected

35 - 49%
1/5 Reviewed

50 - 64%
2/5 Reviewed

65 - 79%
3/5 Approved

80 - 89%
4/5 Approved

90 - 100%
5/5 Approved

The table may vary if needed.

Originality: 5/10
Too similar to some of the Blizzard maps. I know it is hard to make a original melee but you should really try "something else" next time.

Balance: 9/10
The title says it all: "Symmetrical Chaos". It is symmetrical and thus is it mostly balanced.

Bug Free: 10/10
Worked fine.

Terrain: 4/10 X
The terrain is one of the weak points of the map. The city looks dull and boring, the trees are placed to symmetricaly. Mos of the terrain is just too flat missing some decent dodoads. You should study terraining and improve it.

Gameplay/Fun Factor: 5/10
What to say but it is just another melee that was kinda fun to play. There some NPC-s that should enhance it but it isn't really anything special. The creeps weren't chosen correctly for this idea, it is a city, I don't like the nether drakes, fel hounds...

Drops: 3/10 X
Seems that there are too much drops. You should remove some drops from the groups guarding NPC buildings. We got ring of prot and cloak of flames from the drakes and his group. Just lower the amount of drops.

Lag: 9/10
Fast loading time, little or no lag.

Proper submission and crediting: 7/10
Add some images.

Conclusion

24eyv87.gif
24eyv87.gif
24eyv87.gif
15phlph.gif
15phlph.gif

In overall: 52 / 80
65%
minimal 50% met.
For the hive grade: 3/5 I suggest this map for: Approval
-------------------------------------------------
Well in overall it is a well done melee that has some minor issues such as a lot of drops from creeps and not so good terrain. You should improve that in your next update but I will nevertheless vote for approval and this is a Useful resource. You got a 65% and that was barely passable but I find this map well enough for the standards.
Good Luck, bounty hunter2
I might not be checking this topic for some time. If you have any questions about the review or you update the map and want me to check it again, feel free to PM me or Visitor message me at any time.