• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Swiftblade Siege [Idea Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello, I'm creating a siege map (this means it is not completed yet, or uploaded yet), based on Orcs trying to defend from a invasions from Undeads but I'll feel like siege maps are bit common nowadays, so I would like a suggestions and ideas to make it different from you guys, I would appreciate them a lot.

Current Ideas by me
- Spell data is based on stats, which mean relies on trigger, mainly damage multipliers or healing systems. (suggest a unique skill would be nice, I'll consider it)
- Each type of hero stats specifications. (pure STR / INT and AGI hybrids and etc... totalling 9 hero stat specifications)
- Item recipes, lots of them but at most 48.
- No overbuffed or underbuffed units or heroes, including it's scaling size. (it is scaled accordingly)
- Orc's units upgrade and resistances. (which uses money to call units to defend for emergency purposes like tower is being sieged)
- Auto undead units upgrade, creep spawn randomization and increasingly spawn amounts for increasingly difficulty.
- Money transferring system (but I have no idea how to configure a trigger for this, it is kinda complex for me to do such a trigger), for more cooperative expirences on the map.
- Scheduled Undead's boss on random lanes, with the invertal of 5 minute.
- Winning by protecting the base from the invaders for 60 [suggested by kakuzu] minutes, no any other ways of winning the game.
- Points, for redeeming golds and items.
- Gold compensation for the owner of hero whose died, amount increases per level but it will be reasonably compensated.

Swiftblade Siege Spreadsheet

Could anyone suggest or give me an idea please? I would appreciate them alot since I currently need idea for boss, hero skills and names, item names and data and lastly... Map description which is located at ETC data.

Suggsted Ideas
- kakuzu for suggesting 1 hour survival for the win.
- apcrabnightlive for more invaders units.
- Eat_Bacon_Daily for suggesting to removing experience tome.

I hope I didn't made any grammar mistakes.

Last edited:
Level 12
In my opinion the surviving time is too long , many people wont have the patience to play almost 2 hours your map . You can make something like :
Easy mode(30 minutes)
Normal mode(60 minutes)
Hard mode(90 minutes)

Level 5
Hm... I agree, I'll reduce from 100 minutes to 60 minutes, thanks for your suggestion.

And I might do the Easy to Hard modes as you suggested, soon.

Level 5
I suggest that the Undead invaders should be different in every game with different difficulty. It's kind of dull when you experience the same enemies in every game you play (repetitive scenario is boring).

Hm, well, I agree with that too, but I literally not sure which models should I use for that. :cneut:
I guess I'll have to consider of that too.

Level 5
About the models they should be related each model in a faction. Like this faction is consists of skeletons and necromancers, then another is a group of zombies etc. etc.

Hm... Ok, thanks for the idea, I'll find the models for them.

On some siege maps it's possible, which is why I asked.

I never seen a maps like that, I guess it must be pretty rare.

Level 5
What about to make the orcs , fel orcs ? That would be more atractive in my opinion.

Well, I'll not use fel orcs on this siege map since it is mainly ordinary orcs who defend their base, no trolls, orge or any other race included except for orcs.

Just wondering, are fel orcs and orcs hostile to each others?

If they are hostile to each other, I might consider adding it as a new type of invaders.

Level 5
Oh well, then I'll use fel orcs as an invader types.

Thanks for your idea. :)

Will give you a reputation soon.

You could make it more realistic, introducing moral and psychological warfare, rations, ammo (arrows, bolts), and other logistic problems.

You could so so spells require multiple mages to cast in the form of rituals, and the spells strength depends on the number/level/intelligence of the casters.

Siege weapons might have to be loaded and aimed, before firing. Instead of using normal attacks.

Cavalry could knockback units when they move through them like in the LOTR STRs.

You could make all parts of the terrain destructibles so that it can be destroyed.

Level 5
You could make it more realistic, introducing moral and psychological warfare, rations, ammo (arrows, bolts), and other logistic problems.

You could so so spells require multiple mages to cast in the form of rituals, and the spells strength depends on the number/level/intelligence of the casters.

Siege weapons might have to be loaded and aimed, before firing. Instead of using normal attacks.

Cavalry could knockback units when they move through them like in the LOTR STRs.

You could make all parts of the terrain destructibles so that it can be destroyed.

Oh well, even the idea sounds nice, but I don't think I can do that because of trigger difficulties or some are unnecessary, like the factions, well... You know why, this map is a siege-styled and the ammo sounds nice, but not sure if I could make a trigger for it though.

Level 5
Ok, now the spreadsheet is ready, so now ready to receive more ideas.

And I hope bumping my own thread is ok.

The spreadsheet link is available here.

Currently in need for map description (located at ETC Data), ability data and descriptions, hero name and descriptions, item data and the descriptions.

Well, I literally have no idea what to use for descriptions and I would thankd anyone who could give me an idea. :)

Level 12
I love how you are approaching your project! Hopefully you can breathe some new life into the Hero Def genre.

I'm making my own hero defense, and i'd like to think that it's a pretty successful project.

From my experiences i have to say, you should keep the starting simple and easy and throw your more complex and unique game mechanics on as the game progresses, because people give up easily if they have nothing invested in the game.

I also think that you should have something beyond just individually holding lanes. I like your idea of having bosses spawn in the waves periodically, maybe have them spawn in a single random lane, so players have to move away from their lane and work together. You could also add special events. Those were usually my favorite parts of Hero Sieges, but maybe if you are trying to make a unique hero siege you should avoid it.

I personally don't like the idea of having exp tomes. It kinda forces you to make your abilities level in a linear fashion as opposed to having them increase in a curve, otherwise you either get overpowered early game spells or underpowered overall spells or, or maybe i'm over analyzing this lol.

Anyways these are my opinions. Good luck on your project!

Also, you have some solid self-restraint! Usually when i start a project, i dive right into it, usually without even knowing what exactly my map is going to be.

Level 5
I love how you are approaching your project! Hopefully you can breathe some new life into the Hero Def genre.

I'm making my own hero defense, and i'd like to think that it's a pretty successful project.

From my experiences i have to say, you should keep the starting simple and easy and throw your more complex and unique game mechanics on as the game progresses, because people give up easily if they have nothing invested in the game.

I also think that you should have something beyond just individually holding lanes. I like your idea of having bosses spawn in the waves periodically, maybe have them spawn in a single random lane, so players have to move away from their lane and work together. You could also add special events. Those were usually my favorite parts of Hero Sieges, but maybe if you are trying to make a unique hero siege you should avoid it.

I personally don't like the idea of having exp tomes. It kinda forces you to make your abilities level in a linear fashion as opposed to having them increase in a curve, otherwise you either get overpowered early game spells or underpowered overall spells or, or maybe i'm over analyzing this lol.

Anyways these are my opinions. Good luck on your project!

Also, you have some solid self-restraint! Usually when i start a project, i dive right into it, usually without even knowing what exactly my map is going to be.

Thanks for your suggestion and compliment. :)

I'm going to remove the experience tome, thanks for your reasoning.

Also the creeps have region randomization, means that the type of units change every time, making them more challenging if not playing cooperately.

Still unsure is it good to do a points redeem system to make it more interesting... =<

It somehow feels weird to edit the spreadsheet like every hour but well, for the project's good. ;)

Level 5
I'm not sure if <48 hour bump is ok or not.
But it is already like 42 hours now and no reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.