• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Swamp of Despair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Formally known as "Swamp Open RPG 1.8"

The setting of the map is a gigantic swamp (256x@256 Epic). There is a level cap of 500. Every five levels players gain 1 ability point and the level skip requirement is set to 20. Also, every 10 levels the player gains 1 Talent Point, which is used for various upgrades and events.

The players all start off in a camp a little northwest of the center. You start off as a wisp hero and can't leave the town. Throughout the small encampment is six different class masters. You bring the wisp to each individual master to train under him/her.

Start Town:

The classes are as followed:

Warrior:
Trains the hero in the ways of the Warrior. The Warrior class can use heavy armor, shields, and a good variety of weapons. Although his intelligence is weak and his spells are that impressive. Pretty much a tank hero.

Ranger:
Trains the hero in the ways of the Ranger. The Ranger class can use good armor and some nice bows. She has some nice spells and has really nice range. Careful though, she can die easily against melee monsters.

Sorcerer:
Trains the hero in the ways of the Sorcerer. The Sorcerer has a weak attack, can hardly use any items, and has low life. On the other hand, he has some serious damage spells. Make sure to buy lots of items.

Thief:
Trains the hero in the ways of the Thief. The Thief has a nice attack and some pretty nifty spells. He is more of a stealth hero than a direct one. He is limited to only daggers.

Cleric:
Trains the hero in the ways of the Cleric. The Cleric is a mix between a tank and a healer. He hits really hard and can heal other units. Although, he is limited to hammers.

Druid:
Trains the hero in the ways of the Druid. The Druid has a weak attack and can't use many items, but he can summon powerful monsters and cast some decent spells.

Each class has 5 spells the can advance in and a sixth trainable spell. Let me explain. For instance, the thief has a default spell called "Transmute," it costs no mana and can best cast on creeps lv 2 and below. It has a 45 sec cooldown. Now, by speaking with the trainer, you can pay money to upgrade Transmute to the next level, which would allow creeps lv 4 and below. All of the classes are set up like this.

Now, throughout the map, there is other masters that let you train under them. Alltogether, there is 18 different hero classes you can be, but not every class can be used by the same base hero. You can advance into Tier 2 Heroes if you have completed all quests of Tier 1.

The tree is as follows:

Warrior - Berserker - Samurai

Cleric - Shadow Hunter - Monk

Thief - Assassin - Ninja

Sorcerer - Summoner - Elemental

Druid - Necromancer - Beastmaster

Ranger - Sea Witch - Sniper

The map's terrain is linear. In order to progress into the next zone you have to complete that area's Master's Quest.

There is 17 different monster levels. Each broken down to zone's and in each zone it progresses by a level.
Example: Zone 1 = lv 1 and 2 mobs / Zone 2 = lv 2 and 3 mobs

All mobs and heroes are broken down in these three types:

Melee
Ranged
Magic

The way it is set up is:

Melee gets an extra damage bonus against Ranged.
Ranged gets an extra damage bonus against Magic.
Magic gets an extra damage bonus against Melee.

Furthermore, there is a drop system and a class specific item usage system. I made it so that a warrior can use a sword where as a druid cannot. I also made it so you can't hold more then lets say one sword at a time. The item drop system is as followed:

Chances to Drop Items:

20% Chance to get Gold.
15% Chance to get a Normal type item. [Text Color: White]
11% Chance to get a Enhanced type item. [Text Color: Green]
07% Chance to get a Rare item. [Text Color: Orange]
03% Chance to get a Unique item. [Text Color: Yellow]

It is also based on unit type. So, if you kill a melee type monster, he will drop a melee based item. So, basically what you want to get is up to you. There is also an armory in each town that provides Normal type of equipment for the level of the next progressive area. So, if you are having a hard time killing units, you can find a shop and buy the items rather then go out and find them.

Players may also choose to enchant any weapon they see fit for a price. Throughout the map there is various enchanters per town.

There is also treasure chests that spawn throwout the map. These chests can be locked. If your not a thief you can buy a key to unlock them as well.

The map also offers an arena where players can duel each other as well as participate in arena/survival matches.

Dueling Area:

The map is currently ready for testing and is going to be released as Alpha 1.0.

People that test this map and send me feedback will be included in a list of people that I will send the next closed release to.

In the final release I need to recruit someone to spice up the terrain as it sucks right now...

If you wish to contact me other then this forum, contact me by:

E-mail - [email protected]
MSN Messenger - [email protected]
AIM - Groundzero0016

Latest Version can be found here:
Swamp of Despair Alpha 1.3 - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site

Last edited:
Level 4
Ya, tell me about... I did change the rate at which you gain exp so you gain levels faster and I did change the spells so u only get 1 per 5 levels and re-worked the monsters, so it should run faster and more smoothly...

As for testing, ugh I've tested this map more times then you can think to imagine... Trust me on this... But as always, their is always room for improvements ;)

Level 15
Nice map, the heroes could do with some work though but overall its good. Just one question, WHERE THE HELL IS THE STUPID HERB THAT THE DRUID IS SUPPOSE TO GET? I couldn't find it and got fed up and left :p
Anyway, this map is pretty good but there are some typos here and there so check it. There is one in the quest menu I think.

Level 4
The herb is in the Southwest... You have to do the berserker masters quest to open the way to next area to access the herb ;p

If you could point out the typos that would help and what exactly needs work on the heroes?

Level 15
The spells are too basic and some of them are too weak. The animal companion is, no offense, weak like hell. It can barely do any damage or tank any damage either. Also, how come I can acquire a staff at the start of the game by taking the staff behind the gate with my faerie dragon?

Level 4
Well, for starters Tier 1 hero's are going to have weak and basic spells as the better/best spells are saved for Tier 2 and Tier 3 heroes. So, it's only natural.

I'm still in the process of balancing the map with the new system of leveling and how u get 1 point every 5 levels, but every game i've played on bnet it actually flows good with the way it is setup. The reason he is weaker for the druid is cause the druid can also summon treants. Tis why ;p

As for getting the items behind the portal, that's exactly what they are there for, for people that use their brain they get 2 free random items :)

Status
Not open for further replies.