• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Super Long Load Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So when I click the map in the list it takes awhile just to load the lobby slots, when playing it takes upward to 10 minutes to load it.

I've noticed that when in the map editor it takes quite awhile to change the name of something or to make a new unit

Any ideas on how to fix some of this stuff?

Level 4
It's about 4,700 kb right now I initially thought it might be the map initilization trigs so I converted those to periodic, but it does nothing for the map list load times.

I do have a lot of custom data though. However a version I did previous loads much, much faster. I'm not sure as to what changes I made that caused this sudden massive increase in load

it's taking on average 18s to change a unit name

this is also for changing tooltips on units, on abilities it is just fine.

Last edited:
Level 4
The load time doesn't seem to be affected by the imports, as I havent made any changes in them and the old version loads much faster.

I just tried removing all the triggers in the map and that seems to have no effect either.

also what do you mean by brush list? Edit: nvm found it in window section, that fixed the new unit / name change lag

Level 7
Custom units and custom abilities, even custom upgrades

Specially the abilities with lots of levels(5 or more). It's recommended to use widgetizer to reduce the load time

If you can change a predetermined ability or unit to a new one, you should do it.

Level 4
Ohhhh that's probably it, I have loads of abilities that use lots of levels, and I only started doing that in the more recent versions,

I'm using them to allow for dynamic difficulty changes, but I can prob trigger a lot of the damage to reduce times.

Level 4
Yeah I have about 1100 custom abilities, with about 100 or so abils that had 50+ levels. I changed them all to 25 levels but the lag hasn't cleared. gotta truncate this stuff and trigger most of em

Level 7
Yeah, I have a big old map too with this kind of stuff (and even it has a lot of basically useless content) so time to time a get rid from a bunch of stuff, change the system arctecthtures to betters ones, reuse campaign entries. With time to take perfection.

Level 4
Yeah, it just gives me an overflow error and crashes, even when I have nothing checked. I tried using vex's too, but it makes the game unable to load the map.

Edit: so I cut all my multi-level abils down to 10 levels and removed a bunch, but the lag persists. I suspect that all of those levels I removed aren't actually gone, as when I set the abil back to 20 or 50 it remembers the old values I had set before turning them to 10. I suspect this is the reason why I've seen no fix to the loading times.

Last edited:
Level 7
Yeah, it just gives me an overflow error and crashes, even when I have nothing checked. I tried using vex's too, but it makes the game unable to load the map.

Edit: so I cut all my multi-level abils down to 10 levels and removed a bunch, but the lag persists. I suspect that all of those levels I removed aren't actually gone, as when I set the abil back to 20 or 50 it remembers the old values I had set before turning them to 10. I suspect this is the reason why I've seen no fix to the loading times.

You're probably not using to tools correctly.

Level 11
I just did a test: an ability with 10000 levels took ~1 minute to load. I modified the stats at level 9999, then made it have 3 levels: loading time insignificant.

It may save data for later levels, but I don't think it loads it.

Level 4
You're probably not using to tools correctly.

I followed all the directions in the readme of the widgitizer, I think it's an issue with the map itself since I use JNGP, along with hashtables. Occasionally I get crashes in editor when removing data due to insufficient memory.

I ended up cutting down the lag with all my ability level changes combined with vex's map optimizer

I'm assuming that some of this phantom data persists in the file but vex's optimizer removes it

Status
Not open for further replies.