• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Loading Screen Takes Too Long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I have posted this problem like a year ago but no one had helped to fix this problem, I want to know what is making my Loading Screen take too long.
It takes like 3-5 minutes to load, same as CoT map, though I havn't even got to the stage "40% Finished" of the game.

Please help, thank you.

Level 7
Hmm, I think putting the: Time Elapsed 0.00 instead of Map Initialization makes loading faster :/ !

I only have 2 Map Initialization, but will change them to Time Elapsed and see how it goes.

Whats the size of the map? Remember that high amount of doodads/imports/changable object decreases the velocity of map initializating.

It isn't the biggest, it's medium, I don't have much Doodads nor units in-game.

Level 7
So no high amount of imports too?
Here comes another question, what pc do you have?

Nothing to do with my PC, some maps like, HLW loads in less than 1 minute and so does others. I use HP Laptop, anyways. Hmm, I think I have tried removing all Imports and run map to check if it takes long or not, 269 Files (4568 Kb).

Edit: These are the numbers of the Custom Things I made in Object Editor:
Units: 74
Items: 136
Abilities: 292
Effects/Buffs: 33
Upgrades: 6
Total: 541
I'm willing to increase them too, but dunno if that is too much, lmk

Last edited:
Level 9
How much triggering do you have in your map? I know excessive ammounts of JASS, GUI and MUI can cause huge ammounts of loading lag (aka like Restricted Complex).

Regards,

Jake

Level 17
Any abillities above the level of 10 increase loading time considerably. There was a thread on this somwhere but i dont remember where about loading times. Change map inits to 0.01 as said above and Make level of abillities to 3 if they are above 3 Wc3 doesnt seem to like it on the loading time. But 10 i think is the maximum before it shows a considerable affect.

Try converting all abillities to level 3 and have tiers of that abillity with a triggered swap

Level 7
Im unsure now. Amount of customized data isn't really high, and you say you got good pc. But map compiles and runs normaly after loading yes?

Everything is ok after the game loads.

Could you post the map here?
As far as I can see, there's nothing unusual with your map that makes it load as long as you said.
Spinnaker already mentioned the most important things. I'll run some more test when I have the map.

Ok, map is attached. (It has lotsa bugs, lol, but will fix in future)

How much triggering do you have in your map? I know excessive ammounts of JASS, GUI and MUI can cause huge ammounts of loading lag (aka like Restricted Complex).

Regards,

Jake

I got lotsa triggers, dunno how much, too much to count lol

Any abillities above the level of 10 increase loading time considerably. There was a thread on this somwhere but i dont remember where about loading times. Change map inits to 0.01 as said above and Make level of abillities to 3 if they are above 3 Wc3 doesnt seem to like it on the loading time. But 10 i think is the maximum before it shows a considerable affect.

Try converting all abillities to level 3 and have tiers of that abillity with a triggered swap

Ya, I have lotsa abilities over lvl 10, like 400, 200, 350 etc..
I tried to make them to reduce time of making many abilities and.. I thought it might make loading take less time to load this much of abilities :p

Attachments

• FFWF! (V1.01).w3x
    3.3 MB · Views: 64
Level 28
I recommend you read through this thing, it may be worth it.

It's the spells. It's definitely the spells.
I don't even know why the hell you need spells with those levels.

Tell me, what is the use of giving all those "Spells[Class name]" such a huge level amount?
You give it 75 levels, while there are maximum 9 spells. The level amount should be the amount of spells it has. What you're doing is... weird. Weird and useless.

Also, the stat bonuses can be covered through other means.
I mean, seriously. You've got an armor ability with 401 levels (from 0 to 400) and some other armor abilities.
First of all: why add "0" as a value? If you don't want the hero/unit to get bonus armor, don't add the ability. Make it go from 1 to whatever (and in case you need 0: remove the ability, you can always add it back later).
Next point: 9 armor abilities with a maximum level of 75, none of these go over 400 (not even over 200). Wouldn't it be possible to add the 400-level defense ability? Wouldn't you get the same results with that?

Idem for the damage bonus. So many useless abilities you've created...

Also, you can increase a unit's HP with triggers. You don't have to create an ability for that (certainly not one with 451 levels!).
Oh, and again: add 0 to max HP? Again I cannot fathom what you were thinking.
Well, there is a strange bug with them by the way.
Life / mana bonus abilities with more than one level will only ever add the bonus for level 1. Which is 0 in your case. They'll always add 0 mana/HP. No matter what level you set them to (yup, 451 levels of pure awesome 0-HP-additions!)

Well, here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/jass-functions-413/system-bonus-mod-setunitmaxstate-65622/.
It's far more useful then creating a massive amount of abilities with a massive amount of levels. I'm pretty sure that if you implement that, your loading times will decrease heavily.
Oh, and change the spell books from 75 levels to 7-9 or something.

Edit: Ooh, I forgot something very important!
I have seen some of your abilities where you set the bash chance to some 'strange' numbers:
  • 2-headed axe: 6.90% (in-game: 5.00%).
  • Blast Axe 6.10% (in-game: 5.00%).
  • Cold Axe: 2.20% (in-game: 0.00%).
I'll cut the list off here, I believe it is already obvious.
If you ever see a chance that ranges from 0.00 to 100.00 (instead of from 0.00 to 1.00), the chances are rounded up to the nearest 5%. A chance of 2% is rounded to a chance of 0%, a chance of 7.50% is rounded up to a chance of 10% etc.
This is very important in many maps, as some of your abilities don't do anything that way! (any chance equal to or lower than 2.49% will result in an actual 0% chance!)

So you have to redo those spells (otherwise a lot of people might get angry because 'their stun never works' or something).
Remember that this is for all chances that range from 0 to 100, not only bash (critical strike is another example). Life steal and the likes are safe (ranging from 0 to 1).

Level 7
I recommend you read through this thing, it may be worth it.

It's the spells. It's definitely the spells.
I don't even know why the hell you need spells with those levels.

Tell me, what is the use of giving all those "Spells[Class name]" such a huge level amount?
You give it 75 levels, while there are maximum 9 spells. The level amount should be the amount of spells it has. What you're doing is... weird. Weird and useless.

Also, the stat bonuses can be covered through other means.
I mean, seriously. You've got an armor ability with 401 levels (from 0 to 400) and some other armor abilities.
First of all: why add "0" as a value? If you don't want the hero/unit to get bonus armor, don't add the ability. Make it go from 1 to whatever (and in case you need 0: remove the ability, you can always add it back later).
Next point: 9 armor abilities with a maximum level of 75, none of these go over 400 (not even over 200). Wouldn't it be possible to add the 400-level defense ability? Wouldn't you get the same results with that?

Idem for the damage bonus. So many useless abilities you've created...

Also, you can increase a unit's HP with triggers. You don't have to create an ability for that (certainly not one with 451 levels!).
Life / mana bonus abilities with more than one level will only ever add the bonus for level 1. Which is 0 in your case. They'll always add 0 mana/HP. No matter what level you set them to (yup, 451 levels of pure awesome 0-HP-additions!)

Well, here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/jass-functions-413/system-bonus-mod-setunitmaxstate-65622/.
It's far more useful then creating a massive amount of abilities with a massive amount of levels. I'm pretty sure that if you implement that, your loading times will decrease heavily.
Oh, and change the spell books from 75 levels to 7-9 or something.

lol >.< the map isn't even 50% completed, sir.
the 75 Book spell thingy, is cuz im lazy :p I just wanna set it to the lvl of the hero, the hero can have a max of 75 lvls.

The 400 Defense, is cuz of Armor + Shield + Boots which would make a total of 400 or prob more or less. I'm still under construction of these, all I made is Armor, and just started to make Shields

I did make a test on removing abilites and see how long it takes, it used to take me 4 minutes and 13 seconds, after removing all abilities above lvl 10, it takes me now, 1 minute and 51 seconds.

This is what I'm trying to do:
A unit wears Armor, +51 Defense ( Set lvl of "Defense" to "Level of Defense + 51)
A unit unwears Armor, -51 Defense (Set lvl of "Defense" to "Level of Defense - 51)
same goes for boots and Shields (The Hero alrdy has the Ability "Defense")

Level 28
You realize that's a 228% loading time decrease, right?

Either way: check my previous post again, the edit is actually quite important.
I was the one who ran tests about it, and after about 100.000 hits, my suspicions (and patience) were finally rewarded with that quite useful information.
So only use percentages which can be divided by 5 (in the cases explained in my previous post).

And use Bonus Mod, which rules out the use of those abilities.
(By the way: did you read about the HP and mana ability bug?)

Level 7

I see.. no wonder why the Summon's HP wasn't increasing.... >.<

Edit: Ooh, I forgot something very important!
I have seen some of your abilities where you set the bash chance to some 'strange' numbers:
  • 2-headed axe: 6.90% (in-game: 5.00%).
  • Blast Axe 6.10% (in-game: 5.00%).
  • Cold Axe: 2.20% (in-game: 0.00%).
I'll cut the list off here, I believe it is already obvious.
If you ever see a chance that ranges from 0.00 to 100.00 (instead of from 0.00 to 1.00), the chances are rounded up to the nearest 5%. A chance of 2% is rounded to a chance of 0%, a chance of 7.50% is rounded up to a chance of 10% etc.
This is very important in many maps, as some of your abilities don't do anything that way! (any chance equal to or lower than 2.49% will result in an actual 0% chance!)

So you have to redo those spells (otherwise a lot of people might get angry because 'their stun never works' or something).
Remember that this is for all chances that range from 0 to 100, not only bash (critical strike is another example). Life steal and the likes are safe (ranging from 0 to 1).

wow... thanks for the info, sir ^^

You realize that's a 228% loading time decrease, right?

Either way: check my previous post again, the edit is actually quite important.
I was the one who ran tests about it, and after about 100.000 hits, my suspicions (and patience) were finally rewarded with that quite useful information.
So only use percentages which can be divided by 5 (in the cases explained in my previous post).

And use Bonus Mod, which rules out the use of those abilities.
(By the way: did you read about the HP and mana ability bug?)

Again, I thank you alot for these infos, u've helped alot!! ^^ (+Rep)

Status
Not open for further replies.