• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Tower Defense] Sunken Ruins TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hello dear people,

i'm looking for some feedback on my tower defense map. I've been working on it quite some time now and tested it with some friends of mine, but i've so far not played it with more then 4 players.

Things i'm looking for:
- bugs
- balancing experience with full player loadout
- gameplay feedback

Things that are not finished yet:
- terrain
- balancefinetuning between races

Be sure to check the Quest Tab for information and credits!

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions!

Edit:
updated the map to v0.51

Changes:
- added Fuckoff Spell to Builders
- added variety to creep waves, not only militia
- added upgrade for AA Watchtower (Basic tower Race)
- added Cannon Tower and Large Cannon Tower (Basic Tower Race)
- Tooltip updates to avoid confusion
- Minor balance tweaks

Edit:
updated the map to v0.52

Changes:
- added Anti Stuck
- rebalance on first waves
- fixed some translation errors
- added option to buy lumber/gold

Edit:
updated the map to v0.53 (see attached)

Changes:
- added 2 new races (1 kind of experimental)
- added a second plunder ship mode
- some balance changes

Edit:
updated the map to v0.54 (see attached)

Changes:
- Bug Fixes
- Rebalance on Magic Race

Edit:
updated the map to v0.57 (see attached)

Changes:
- Bug Fixes
- Buff for Magic Race
- added another race
- reworked some mechanics for 1.29
Known issue: leaderboard and timer overlap a little

hotfix 0.58:
Banshees couldn't attack Air units.

Edit:
updated the map to v0.6 (see attached)
- some small fixes
- armor types and attack types are now relevant (previously all attack types were set to full damage against all armor types), however not to the full extent of the base game
- some balance tweaks

Attachments

• sunken-ruins-td.w3x
    2.6 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Level 21
Well i just played some levels with the basic tower race, here are some hints:

1 Make it very clear which route mobs take and where they spawn.
2 The basic tower race seems very boring, mostly arrow towers, not much to think about.
3 Also arrow towers of tier2 can upgrade into anti air towers, but those anti air towers cannot upgrade into anti air tier 2, for that i need arrow tower tier 3 - not intuitive.
4 I can just build towers at the goldmine, no need to invest money into defenders and their upgrades.

The Plundership idea is fine, i would elaborate and expand this feature.

Level 13
hey, thanks for your feedback

1 ok
2 i know, but that was kind of the point of that race, might be a good idea to add a cannon tower or sth
3 i will add that
4 yes that is intentional, the idea was that the defender is much more cost effective later on and on higher difficulties you dont get all your money back for selling towers. i will look into this again

Level 7
Variety:
Have the waves of enemies be more varied only peasants generally

Questions:
Did you want the banshee round to go through mazes or just fly over them because they were hovering?

Is the plundership a unique feature or is it its own game? I didn’t like it but the people I played with liked it. It seemed to be more of a burden but with some tweaks could be fun!

Is there an anti-air race?

Side Base Suggestions
Have the workers be able to get more than 2 gold if they purchase an upgrade. Currently they can only have up to 2 gold each trip...

Why increase the food capacity limit via upgrade if Player Red can do it automatically (too much power?)

Don’t have lives lost equal to worker death (This happened the first time i played by myself but not the second time oddly enough)

General Gameplay:
The money escalates too much for the towers that you can buy... You can either lower the cost or increase the bounty awarded

Should have the plundership drop units off at the main area as well as the side base?

I don’t like how the other players can build in my area
Suggestion: Have each tower be unique in its upgrade and have the first tower cost good but further upgrades cost wood.
Races:
Oblivion race is fine but make them more demonic and less creep-like
Gun Race
-->Scout sniper needs his head shot on Autocast
---> The towers for the gun race should be unique and not upgrade able from each one

The theme of the gambler is kind of confusing unless you add some kind of random chance (EDIT: jk I found out that the attack is the random feature-->truly risky)

My Progress in the game:

Made it to round 15 (air dragons and died tragically) first time playing by myself
Made it to round 20ish but we quit because the variety/gameplay wasn't quite there

Make the upgrades cost wood and the first cost is gold

OVERALL:
Definitely a great idea and better execution than I could do XD
Good job!

Level 13
Thanks for your feedback, comments in Green

Variety:
Have the waves of enemies be more varied only peasants generally I will do that eventually

Questions:
Did you want the banshee round to go through mazes or just fly over them because they were hovering? Yes that's on purpose

Is the plundership a unique feature or is it its own game? I didn’t like it but the people I played with liked it. It seemed to be more of a burden but with some tweaks could be fun!
It's a feature to add some complexity apart from managing your towers

Is there an anti-air race? No, most races have dedicated anti air towers

Side Base Suggestions
Have the workers be able to get more than 2 gold if they purchase an upgrade. Currently they can only have up to 2 gold each trip...
I had that at some point but was hard to balance, i will still think it though again

Why increase the food capacity limit via upgrade if Player Red can do it automatically (too much power?)
you can only upgrade the tower limit via command, not by some other upgrade, upgrading the base only allows you to build more workers. The tower limit is mainly to decrease lag from tower spamming, but red can decide to increase it (or decrease for higher challenge), i updated the tooltip to make that clear

Don’t have lives lost equal to worker death (This happened the first time i played by myself but not the second time oddly enough)
shouldn't be, i'll check that

General Gameplay:
The money escalates too much for the towers that you can buy... You can either lower the cost or increase the bounty awarded Balancing seemed more or less ok when i played with my friends

Should have the plundership drop units off at the main area as well as the side base?
No

I don’t like how the other players can build in my area This is a point for final polishing
Suggestion: Have each tower be unique in its upgrade and have the first tower cost good but further upgrades cost wood.
Races:
Oblivion race is fine but make them more demonic and less creep-like
Gun Race
-->Scout sniper needs his head shot on Autocast
---> The towers for the gun race should be unique and not upgrade able from each one

The theme of the gambler is kind of confusing unless you add some kind of random chance (EDIT: jk I found out that the attack is the random feature-->truly risky)

My Progress in the game:

Made it to round 15 (air dragons and died tragically) first time playing by myself
Made it to round 20ish but we quit because the variety/gameplay wasn't quite there

Make the upgrades cost wood and the first cost is gold

OVERALL:
Definitely a great idea and better execution than I could do XD
Good job!

i will also have a look on the rest. thanks again

Last edited:
Level 7
Map has been updated, check first post for new version and changelog

I really wanted to test it, but the waves do not spawn. From what i have seen so far it looks like it could be fun though.

btw offtopic: da triggert wohl wer gerne auf deutsch xD ...ich mach irgendwie immer alles auf englisch...vlt weil es so einfacher ist hilfe zu bekommen ^^

Level 13
Ok, so we found out that when you play only with purple and red (which are meant to be the two support spots) the game doesn't by default open any spawn slot. If you want to do that, open purples slot before the first wave and everything is fine.

Level 7
Here we go :)

Design

-Plundership is a really neat idea [+]
-Map looks good so far [+]
EDIT: -Maybe add some more upgrades for your gold income, so you can get a better income later in the game [=]
-there should be an option, if you want a warning everytime the plundership is near you [-]

Balancing

-No massive Gamebreakers detected so far[+]
-Wave 4 Captains are too Tanky[-]
-Hell forces basic unit should be a little bit stronger (just a little bit) its useless from wave 3 on.[-]

maybe its just me but i found the first 5 waves to be the hardest...then i could play a bit more relaxed until the second air wave wich i completely forgot about xD

Mechanics/ Triggering

-No gamebreakers detected so far[+]
-Slot for purple should auto open when only red and purple are there.[-]
-Some of the Unit uprade Hotkeys dont work (hell Forces basic to first upgrade for example)[-]
-Not sure but i think this (and some other triggers) leaks a location (the move target?)[-]
  • spawn unten air L
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Spawn 2 <gen>
    • Conditions
      • (Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Player 12 (Brown)
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Move To (Center of air blau 1 <gen>)
-The wood gatherer gets counted as builder on the lower left Icon (where you click on to get to your builder)[-]
-Anti Stuck Ability missing (sometimes units get stuck!)[-]

Rating

There are some Minor things, Balancing has one or two edges, but nothing major except for the missing anti stuck ability. Its already a lot of fun and i really like the Plundership.

8 out of 10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.