• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Suggestion] For the next release, code wipe because of the fundamental changes made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I believe it makes sense to code wipe given the removal of the skill point system. Basically, no one has earned their stuff in the new style of gameplay, and therefore it makes little sense to be max lvl from old gameplay experience. Just an idea, I know that some will rage against this, but maybe some won't.

As long as new content is released along with the wipe it will be fine, since we can be sure that this will be the final wipe in Gaias history.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Well, the thing is, we have had these characters for a looong time. Many things, like gold and MCs are at extreme amounts for some people at the moment which will allow such people to rush to new MC materials in two seconds amongst other things. This is yet another reason for a code wipe. TBH, I think most people would think it alright after an initial rage. Of course it isn't fun to lose weeks of work (playing time), but on the other hand, playing the game in a new way will make up for it in my opinion. Also, we've had our fun with these characters in the mountain area. Now its time for something new, and why not make us play the entire game again in a much better way?

Personally I think these reasons are good enough to conclude a code wipe is a good idea, along with the compatibility reason you stated.

An additional note: getting to high lvl/good gear only takes approx. 5-10 hours atm, which isn't a big obstacle really.

Level 4
I cant say i will stop playing with a code wipe, cause i wont, i would just start over again with the new talents... but when u have 7-8 heroes maxed and the remaining 2-3 looking for 1-2 items to finish up all the 10 advanced classes. That would really hurt... and im not the only one, om pretty sure lol

Level 3
If you want to make a new character to play the entire game with the new system, you can do that without a code wipe. You didn't get your gold and MC from not investing any time, and I hope you can't buy the phattest of lewts from some shady vendor for gold. Even if nobody earned his items with the new system, they did earn it with the old system.

Code wipe => brainafk rushing through low level content and waiting for that stupid bar to fill up before you can finally play the new content. This doesn't give you any legitimate experience in the new system.

If gold and MC are an issue though, would it be possible to reset those and leave the rest?

Level 5
I don't think we should complicate things to the point of evaluating the idea of wiping only our gold and MCs. I'm all for a code wipe. As you said it, it will allow us to experiment with the new talent system all from the beginning.

And for those people who have full geared-all talent combinations-like save codes, I'm pretty sure they have that for a good reason; they love to play this. With that being said, I don't think they'd mind getting all those codes back again.

Lastly, the compatibility issue just stated. Good to go on this end for a code wipe.

Level 7
This is pretty dumb.

Its not like the new stat system is going to make the game significantly harder. If the new system was to make the game harder, then it'd make a LITTLE bit of sense to have a code wipe. I see no purpose to have a code wipe just because somethings are different though.

The only real reason imho why anybody should do a code wipe is to make it easier to find low level games again.

I think I'm the only one who really likes low level content in any RPG... the problem is that you hardly find games in the lobby with enough lows to make it fun.

I'll probably think about some kind of wipe when a big chunk of new content is done. Like the enchanting system or 1.2B bosses and quests. So far, I don't see a big reason for it.

Level 7
So, if I understand correctly, the new versions will go in that order: skills replacement with talents + new skins => enchanting (with possible wipe) => icelands + d4?

Frankly, I support wipe when enchanting will be released. You know, that feeling when you have reached max lvl with character and playing with same low level character leaves a feeling of meaninglessness.
And in the first month after a wipe will be much easier to find low level party for fun in d1-d2-d3.
And if talents will really affect character gameplay (like skill modifications, difficult choices with stat talents, etc.) we will play in a new game with even more RPG feeling at low-mid levels.

P.S. I hope we will see adjusted base to secondary stats formulas and statcaps for percentage stats with talents release.

There will not be statcaps... simply because I feel caps are not a good practice to balance a flawed design. But yes, the formulaes will get a makeover.

I have not yet decided about when I'll do that enchanting update. Maybe it will be part of 1.2B, maybe it will come in a later update. But it will definitely not come before 1.2B.

The new talent system will be the last iteration of 1.2A. After this, I'll concentrate on making new content again for a change.

Btw, just as a side note: There will be a new quest in the next 1.2A (9) release to replace the item quest from the Shade, as the skill system is gone and the reward has now become useless. As there's a certain lack of mid level content, it will probably take place in Mytargas. For compatibility reasons, people that finished the Shade quest will have this quest marked as completed.

Level 2
have you thought of rescalling d3? atm its not run. its not needed for any quest (apart the conquest one) and seems really fun. imho we could do something like d1>d2>shade/foothills/ogres>d3>future content (credit to justanotherorc). i know it might be a lot of work but it would be fun. i am not really sold for code wipe but can see why some people would like it, i don't really but that 's just me.

have you thought of rescalling d3? atm its not run. its not needed for any quest (apart the conquest one) and seems really fun. imho we could do something like d1>d2>shade/foothills/ogres>d3>future content (credit to justanotherorc). i know it might be a lot of work but it would be fun. i am not really sold for code wipe but can see why some people would like it, i don't really but that 's just me.
D1-D3 will get a heroic mode eventually. But this is in the very distant future. I want to concentrate on creating new content for now, as D4 will finally bring the conclusion of the story. The heroic modes are the cherry on top that will come after that to add more gameplay.
There's so much unused terrain completed already, it would be a waste to recycle old content when there's still plenty of room for new stuff.

Level 5
A code wipe is so silly.... if its new gameplay you seek, or the feeling of levelling all over again in beginner areas... create a new character?
Wipe your own code! Some people rush games and that's their fault, I am not one of those players, but I am certainly not a player who likes to think I've wasted my time! I only play ORPG's in War3 with -save/load mechanics because I feel progression!
some people don't really want to farm all over again thank you very much! To be honest I'll be creating a new hero myself when the version releases... but having my other heroes to load in a game in case I don't have anyone to level with (or for any other reason) will be nice!

Playername : DonRhymez EU/East Battlenet

Level 7
Actually I'll accept a code wipe, if and only if Zwieb decides to change how waves function in D3 :p. Leveling up to 50 and getting current max gear really isn't a problem. However, erasing all that time I spent sitting through and waiting for waves to spawn is not fun.

Level 4
Actually I'll accept a code wipe, if and only if Zwieb decides to change how waves function in D3 :p. Leveling up to 50 and getting current max gear really isn't a problem. However, erasing all that time I spent sitting through and waiting for waves to spawn is not fun.

i remember myself suggesting reduction on D3 waves or generally something to make it less boring but i got no support.

Level 10
i remember myself suggesting reduction on D3 waves or generally something to make it less boring but i got no support.

Not that it matters but what might be a cool idea for D3 waves is a next wave button on the general guy to spawn next wave which can only be clicked if the entire wave has already been killed

Level 9
I think the hatred for D3 waves comes from that they take far to long, and are really difficult, just to get some blue gear that is equal to the green gear that you can get by farming the foothills now, and the armor you can buy from the encampment.

The waves make people not want to do D3 because it's to much of a time sink in comparison to the foothills.

My idea would be to just shorten the waves up to the triple archer wave, double bash skeleton wave, the mage wave, and possibly a wave with just an abnormal amount of the weaker creeps somewhere in the mix and obviously the boss. That way we get the waves that are the biggest reasons why people fail, and it makes it so that you don't sit in the same spot for 10 minutes feeling like your not making any progress.

Then if you fail on the boss then you have to sit in that spot again, for 10 minutes, while in comparison for the foothills or the other dungeons, if you fail the boss you don't have to sit in the same spot for 10 minutes.

Or you could add in some more quest for the d3 area making it more rewarding for gold and xp and maybe some gifted items, that way it will actually be appealing for lower level players to want to do.

I think the hatred for D3 waves comes from that they take far to long, and are really difficult, just to get some blue gear that is equal to the green gear that you can get by farming the foothills now, and the armor you can buy from the encampment.

The waves make people not want to do D3 because it's to much of a time sink in comparison to the foothills.

My idea would be to just shorten the waves up to the triple archer wave, double bash skeleton wave, the mage wave, and possibly a wave with just an abnormal amount of the weaker creeps somewhere in the mix and obviously the boss. That way we get the waves that are the biggest reasons why people fail, and it makes it so that you don't sit in the same spot for 10 minutes feeling like your not making any progress.

Then if you fail on the boss then you have to sit in that spot again, for 10 minutes, while in comparison for the foothills or the other dungeons, if you fail the boss you don't have to sit in the same spot for 10 minutes.

Or you could add in some more quest for the d3 area making it more rewarding for gold and xp and maybe some gifted items, that way it will actually be appealing for lower level players to want to do.
I really don't know why people hate the waves event so much. How is it different from having to kill multiple packs of creep before reaching a new boss? The only real issue is that you have to do them again in order to kill the boss; but that's basicly because the waves are meant to be an "extension" of the boss, as it's a simple DPS encounter.

Level 7
I really don't know why people hate the waves event so much.
1. Kill all waves over 10 minutes
2. Start boss fight
3. Take stun from the boss
4. Watch how boss kills Gaspode while all your party stunned
5. Understand that it is necessary to kill all the waves again
6. ????????????
7. RAGEQUIT!!!

Something like this :)
You know, it's something like old good console games, where you have to go through the whole level again if you die. I can not say it's bad, but frustrating sometimes :)

1. Kill all waves over 10 minutes
2. Start boss fight
3. Take stun from the boss
4. Watch how boss kills Gaspode while all your party stunned
5. Understand that it is necessary to kill all the waves again
6. ????????????
7. RAGEQUIT!!!

Something like this :)
You know, it's something like old good console games, where you have to go through the whole level again if you die. I can not say it's bad, but frustrating sometimes :)
Again, the waves are basicly part of the boss, considering that some of the waves are harder than the boss itself for appropriately geared players.

Level 4
As Gaias is right now, D3 is kind of a wasted content. As Ihaz said, there is no reason for a player to go through that content when you can obtain better items in more fun and easier way.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Personally I think D3 should have its difficulty reduced a few levels so that early lvl 20s can go there succesfully without a booster to help. This would compensate for the lack of quests after D2 and fill the gap to mountain area content. The only boss that should stay the way it is is Firelord because of its drops, because of the fact that it is a "special spawn" and finally because it would prolong the reason for people to go to D3.

That topic again? You guys know that D3 is getting a heroic mode after 1.2 content is completely done. There's no point beating the dead D3 horse, really. It's fine as it is, I never got complains about D3 when it was still "hot". It's progression content and progression content always ends up to get skipped through leveling.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Well I still think the "normal mode" of D3 should be reduced a bit because it would be played more that way and also, like I said bridge the gap between D2 and mountains. But it isn't a huge issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.