1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Suggestion] For the next release, code wipe because of the fundamental changes made

Discussion in 'Gaias Retaliation ORPG' started by Jumbo, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I believe it makes sense to code wipe given the removal of the skill point system. Basically, no one has earned their stuff in the new style of gameplay, and therefore it makes little sense to be max lvl from old gameplay experience. Just an idea, I know that some will rage against this, but maybe some won't.

As long as new content is released along with the wipe it will be fine, since we can be sure that this will be the final wipe in Gaias history.

2. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I don't think you will get many new friends with that suggestions. ;)

Don't get me wrong... a code wipe would prevent a lot of headaches in terms of compatibility, but I highly doubt anyone will appreciate another codewipe...

3. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, the thing is, we have had these characters for a looong time. Many things, like gold and MCs are at extreme amounts for some people at the moment which will allow such people to rush to new MC materials in two seconds amongst other things. This is yet another reason for a code wipe. TBH, I think most people would think it alright after an initial rage. Of course it isn't fun to lose weeks of work (playing time), but on the other hand, playing the game in a new way will make up for it in my opinion. Also, we've had our fun with these characters in the mountain area. Now its time for something new, and why not make us play the entire game again in a much better way?

Personally I think these reasons are good enough to conclude a code wipe is a good idea, along with the compatibility reason you stated.

An additional note: getting to high lvl/good gear only takes approx. 5-10 hours atm, which isn't a big obstacle really.

4. PachaXD

PachaXD

Resources:
    Resources:
    I cant say i will stop playing with a code wipe, cause i wont, i would just start over again with the new talents... but when u have 7-8 heroes maxed and the remaining 2-3 looking for 1-2 items to finish up all the 10 advanced classes. That would really hurt... and im not the only one, om pretty sure lol

5. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree with your points Pacha. But I still think the community and the game would benefit more than it would lose.

6. Shamu

Shamu

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you want to make a new character to play the entire game with the new system, you can do that without a code wipe. You didn't get your gold and MC from not investing any time, and I hope you can't buy the phattest of lewts from some shady vendor for gold. Even if nobody earned his items with the new system, they did earn it with the old system.

Code wipe => brainafk rushing through low level content and waiting for that stupid bar to fill up before you can finally play the new content. This doesn't give you any legitimate experience in the new system.

If gold and MC are an issue though, would it be possible to reset those and leave the rest?

7. GasQueen

GasQueen

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't think we should complicate things to the point of evaluating the idea of wiping only our gold and MCs. I'm all for a code wipe. As you said it, it will allow us to experiment with the new talent system all from the beginning.

And for those people who have full geared-all talent combinations-like save codes, I'm pretty sure they have that for a good reason; they love to play this. With that being said, I don't think they'd mind getting all those codes back again.

Lastly, the compatibility issue just stated. Good to go on this end for a code wipe.

8. BoxOfFaith

BoxOfFaith

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is pretty dumb.

Its not like the new stat system is going to make the game significantly harder. If the new system was to make the game harder, then it'd make a LITTLE bit of sense to have a code wipe. I see no purpose to have a code wipe just because somethings are different though.

9. S0ulseeker

S0ulseeker

Resources:
    Resources:
    I always enjoy a good ol' code wipe personally but I'm a minority

10. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    The only real reason imho why anybody should do a code wipe is to make it easier to find low level games again.

I think I'm the only one who really likes low level content in any RPG... the problem is that you hardly find games in the lobby with enough lows to make it fun.

I'll probably think about some kind of wipe when a big chunk of new content is done. Like the enchanting system or 1.2B bosses and quests. So far, I don't see a big reason for it.

11. kevs926

kevs926

Resources:
    Resources:
    could wipe if we are gonna go farming low level bosses for items

12. ALEXz407

ALEXz407

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So, if I understand correctly, the new versions will go in that order: skills replacement with talents + new skins => enchanting (with possible wipe) => icelands + d4?

Frankly, I support wipe when enchanting will be released. You know, that feeling when you have reached max lvl with character and playing with same low level character leaves a feeling of meaninglessness.
    And in the first month after a wipe will be much easier to find low level party for fun in d1-d2-d3.
    And if talents will really affect character gameplay (like skill modifications, difficult choices with stat talents, etc.) we will play in a new game with even more RPG feeling at low-mid levels.

P.S. I hope we will see adjusted base to secondary stats formulas and statcaps for percentage stats with talents release.

13. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    There will not be statcaps... simply because I feel caps are not a good practice to balance a flawed design. But yes, the formulaes will get a makeover.

I have not yet decided about when I'll do that enchanting update. Maybe it will be part of 1.2B, maybe it will come in a later update. But it will definitely not come before 1.2B.

The new talent system will be the last iteration of 1.2A. After this, I'll concentrate on making new content again for a change.

Btw, just as a side note: There will be a new quest in the next 1.2A (9) release to replace the item quest from the Shade, as the skill system is gone and the reward has now become useless. As there's a certain lack of mid level content, it will probably take place in Mytargas. For compatibility reasons, people that finished the Shade quest will have this quest marked as completed.

14. filaretos

filaretos

Resources:
    Resources:
    have you thought of rescalling d3? atm its not run. its not needed for any quest (apart the conquest one) and seems really fun. imho we could do something like d1>d2>shade/foothills/ogres>d3>future content (credit to justanotherorc). i know it might be a lot of work but it would be fun. i am not really sold for code wipe but can see why some people would like it, i don't really but that 's just me.

15. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    D1-D3 will get a heroic mode eventually. But this is in the very distant future. I want to concentrate on creating new content for now, as D4 will finally bring the conclusion of the story. The heroic modes are the cherry on top that will come after that to add more gameplay.
    There's so much unused terrain completed already, it would be a waste to recycle old content when there's still plenty of room for new stuff.

16. kevs926

kevs926

Resources:
    Resources:
    no, D4 ends T_T

17. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Just because the story is concluded there doesn't mean there won't be new content. ;)

18. TinyTeaser

TinyTeaser

Resources:
    Resources:
    A code wipe is so silly.... if its new gameplay you seek, or the feeling of levelling all over again in beginner areas... create a new character?
    Wipe your own code! Some people rush games and that's their fault, I am not one of those players, but I am certainly not a player who likes to think I've wasted my time! I only play ORPG's in War3 with -save/load mechanics because I feel progression!
    some people don't really want to farm all over again thank you very much! To be honest I'll be creating a new hero myself when the version releases... but having my other heroes to load in a game in case I don't have anyone to level with (or for any other reason) will be nice!

Playername : DonRhymez EU/East Battlenet

19. BoxOfFaith

BoxOfFaith

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually I'll accept a code wipe, if and only if Zwieb decides to change how waves function in D3 :p. Leveling up to 50 and getting current max gear really isn't a problem. However, erasing all that time I spent sitting through and waiting for waves to spawn is not fun.

20. doubtful

doubtful

Resources:
    Resources:
    i remember myself suggesting reduction on D3 waves or generally something to make it less boring but i got no support.